1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: New to me Truck  (Read 24367 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: New to me Truck
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 08:04:41 AM »
I want a new truck.  I'm tired of seeing other people get new trucks.  Haha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

they sell them.  all over the place.   :nana:
I was actually looking a little the other night.  I'd really like something more than a half ton.  I want a bigger bed.  Half ton, crew cabs only half the 5'8" bed or whatever.  Everything seems to be outrageously priced.  There are 2008s from the big 3 all going for low to mid $40k. 

If you want to play with the big boys, you've got to spend like the big boys. Me? I'm perfectly happy with the Tacoma.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »
If you go back to Ford, you can get the F150 in a crew cab and 6.5ft box. They aren't very common though. My buddy just got a great deal on a new 2016 Platinum. It's a full load crew with the long box and max tow. a little better than $20k off MSRP.

He now hooked on the ecoboost too, lol.
I would have no problem going back to a Ford.  I'm not brand loyal.  They all get the job done and are comparable.  I am actual quite fond of the new F150s. 

Tom, I refuse to accept that reality.  The guy who's house we stay at in Tennessee has a 2012 Ram 3500.  Bought it new for around $42k if I remember right.  I can't find a truck even 8 years old for that price.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 10:42:10 AM »
The guy I work for in the winter - who has 10 Super Duty trucks - has a theory. He says the price of used 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is stupid high because the price of new ones in beyond stupid high. Oh, and if it's a diesel, add double stupid. The days of having a heavy duty pickup as a daily driver are long gone for most folks.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »
The guy I work for in the winter - who has 10 Super Duty trucks - has a theory. He says the price of used 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is stupid high because the price of new ones in beyond stupid high. Oh, and if it's a diesel, add double stupid. The days of having a heavy duty pickup as a daily driver are long gone for most folks.
I like your use of the word stupid.  Stupid accurate.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
Tom, I refuse to accept that reality.  The guy who's house we stay at in Tennessee has a 2012 Ram 3500.  Bought it new for around $42k if I remember right.  I can't find a truck even 8 years old for that price.

Maybe you need to look in the U.P. 

The Start of this thread was a 9 year old f-350 King Ranch dually Crew Cab; modded with plow frame for $26K.

In Chicago you can get a 2010 5.4 F250 in XL or XLT,  Super Cab or Crew cab all day long for < $ 20K.
- Any color you want, as long as it is white.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 09:05:15 AM »

Maybe you need to look in the U.P. 

The Start of this thread was a 9 year old f-350 King Ranch dually Crew Cab; modded with plow frame for $26K.

In Chicago you can get a 2010 5.4 F250 in XL or XLT,  Super Cab or Crew cab all day long for < $ 20K.
- Any color you want, as long as it is white.
We had a white F250 standard cab, long bed with a 5.4 at work.  It couldn't get out of its own way.  I wasn't real upset to see that truck go. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
Even with the 6.2, the gassers are gutless. Dodge HD's have the best Power IMO with the 6.4 Hemi.

Prices are stupid everywhere, but if you want to save 30%, buy one from Canada and import it. It's a pretty easy process in all honesty. You can even pay firms to do it for you. Just don't buy one from Montreal.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
My little 6.2 in my Chevy is a champ.  I have to imagine it would hold up well in a 2500 seeing as Chevy's gas option in their HDs is a 6.0 which delivers less power.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
The GM 6.0 gas motor isn't all that bad. We've got two (in 3/4 ton 4x4's) at the marina. It won't pull like a diesel, but it does all right. I should know since I put most of the towing miles on them.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 11:20:53 PM »
Should clarify. The ford 6.2 feels completely different in the SD than the 1/2 ton. I think it felt neutered and under powered in the HD. I've driven the 6.0 Chevy a while back (04-06) in both the Silverado SS and the 2500 HD. It was a rocket in the SS, I still miss that truck. It seemed pretty gutless in the HD, but I was pretty much always pulling a sweeper with it, so not exactly a fair comparison.

My old boss had a 2012 (may have been a 2013) 1500 like Kitzy's with the 6.2 and it went very well. I thought it had great power. I have never experienced the Chevy 6.2 in a HD. I would assume it would do well, but the power curve still isn't really as good for an HD as the big Hemi.

They all seem like slugs compared to my Eco though... :uugly:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
I have no idea how the 6.2 would fare in a 2500.  I'd like to think a little better than the 6.0 but who knows.  It's not an option so you won't find one to try anyway.  I just think the 3/4 ton and 1 ton are too much truck for those gassers.  Although, my dad just got a new company vehicle.  It's a standard cab, super duty with a 9' tool body on it with the 6.2 and he seems to really like it.  But he's coming from a 2003 GMC 6.0.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »
We had a white F250 standard cab, long bed with a 5.4 at work.  It couldn't get out of its own way.  I wasn't real upset to see that truck go. 

That was the example for spending less than half of the range you were in.

The 9 year old in this thread was a  6.4L F350 went for $ 26K.

If you are looking at spending low to mid 40K's that would yield a 5 year old F250 / F350 6.7L with ~ 50k miles on it in Chicago.

Going higher mileage would get a 2010 with the 6.4L and a v plow already on it.

$ 32K

2009 to 2011 F250 / F350 got 50 results this AM, most expensive being a 2011 F350 with 45K miles at $ 43K.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2017, 09:43:34 PM »
When I have the patience I'm going to compare prices to other regions.  Maybe it's my imagination but prices seem high around here.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
I looked a little bit at what's available down in Tennessee.  Way cheaper.  I don't even think I could justify buying up here after seeing that. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member

* Recent Photos

013.JPG

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.