March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 4x4 Explore Drive  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
4x4 Explore Drive
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:26:11 PM »
So I went out for a little drive today. Headed up the Sea to Sky Highway and checked out some logging roads. We ride mountain bikes up these roads to access a massive trail system in the area. Thanks to all the snow, not much riding going on.

Nothing crazy as I was on my own. I did bring recovery gear and chains if needed though.

Doesn't look like much, but is a 10 degree slope

Found a good couple of spots to stop

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
Re: 4x4 Explore Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »
Sat, relaxed and started a small fire to cook up some hot dogs.
Enjoyed the view

Random biker that just ended up coming right back down the road. He also ate it 20 feet away from the truck as he was coming back

One of the trials that we use to climb to the top

I though maybe I would head up this trail, but...no

Some of the drive in and out

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:49:23 PM »
Then made my was back to Van. Stopped along the way at one of the piers just off the highway. Then made my way up to the top of Cypress Mountain. Then drove over into downtown and took some pics from the other side of the inlet.

The Highway is along these hills

Down the river out towards the ocean

Couple of shots from the top of Cypress

Downtown Van and Burnaby. If you look way in the distance, that mountain range is actually in the US

And this is a shot of Cypress mountain that the previous pics were taken from

Out towards Vancouver Island

Downtown

Finally, I was hoping to get a good sunset pic, but the clouds rolled in. This is off the point south of UBC university looking South-West

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
Just as beautiful as I remember! How'd the new tires work?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
Absolutely jealous.  That's a damn good day in my book.  Is it common to bike in the snow?  That seems like it would suck and take a lot out of you for little reward.   I often forget how beautiful the snow can be.  Here its always mixed with mud, salt and dirt.  You can go 10 feet in it without it turning black. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
Great pictures, I have none of those views within a day of driving from me.

How did the Nitto's work out ?
Notice any delta from what you have had in the past ?

I am asking as Nitto has a SUV tire that I am eyeballing for when the Navigator needs new skins. 
- I am thinking of defecting from Michelin after decades.  Been using them since I put the L wheels on the 2001 Screw.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
Just as beautiful as I remember! How'd the new tires work?

Very happy with the tires, they are pretty impressive for an AT. I was on a few "Chains Mandatory" roads and really had no issue.

Absolutely jealous.  That's a damn good day in my book.  Is it common to bike in the snow?  That seems like it would suck and take a lot out of you for little reward.   I often forget how beautiful the snow can be.  Here its always mixed with mud, salt and dirt.  You can go 10 feet in it without it turning black. 
It really does shorten up your ride. I've ridden in the snow a few times and it's more for laughs than anything else. We kept breaking through and going over the bars. People around this area are pretty hard core about biking though. I saw a total of 7 bikers. Mostly they were just out for a challenging pedal in the snow. A couple were hitting some trials, but they were on Fat Tire bikes and stood a better chance of getting down the trail in one piece.

Great pictures, I have none of those views within a day of driving from me.

How did the Nitto's work out ?
Notice any delta from what you have had in the past ?

I am asking as Nitto has a SUV tire that I am eyeballing for when the Navigator needs new skins. 
- I am thinking of defecting from Michelin after decades.  Been using them since I put the L wheels on the 2001 Screw.

They are very aggressive for a AT tire, but one of the quietest I've had. Already over 4000 miles on them in less than a month. Varying conditions and I would step out on a limb and they they are my favorite so far in winter conditions/ wet roads. Generally, I go through tires pretty quickly because I sell them before they are wore out. I think I will try running these right to the wear bars. These may be the next "BFG" tire for popularity if they can get the price down

I've had very good luck Toyo in the past and Nitto is pretty much a division of Toyo. Good quality over all, require less weights vs. the Pro-Comp and BFG tires I've run in the past.
Michelin are great tires! I prefer them for any OE replacement sizes. When looking more aggressive, their options just seem to miss the mark for me. Ran LTX's on my Ranger for years without any issues and solid performance.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »
They are very aggressive for a AT tire, but one of the quietest I've had. Already over 4000 miles on them in less than a month. Varying conditions and I would step out on a limb and they they are my favorite so far in winter conditions/ wet roads. Generally, I go through tires pretty quickly because I sell them before they are wore out. I think I will try running these right to the wear bars. These may be the next "BFG" tire for popularity if they can get the price down

I've had very good luck Toyo in the past and Nitto is pretty much a division of Toyo. Good quality over all, require less weights vs. the Pro-Comp and BFG tires I've run in the past.
Michelin are great tires! I prefer them for any OE replacement sizes. When looking more aggressive, their options just seem to miss the mark for me. Ran LTX's on my Ranger for years without any issues and solid performance.

I have run the Michelin LTX of one model or another for the past 16 years and I no longer need the LT tire with the Nav.

Nitto has the Dura Grappler Highway which seems to get good reviews, have a 13/32 tread depth and cost ~ 35.00 less per tire than the Michelin.

Good to hear you like them. 
I have seen good reviews on millage on the Dura Grappler Highway.  I am hard on tires and with construction I eat them up pretty good.
- Construction zones around here are like a mine field after the fact.  the union battle cry of can't tell the difference from my house rules the road.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 12:37:59 AM »
I did a lot of research on the Dura Grappler. I was going to run them on the F350, but was hooked with the looks of the Toyo AT II's Extremes once I saw them in person.

If weight isn't a factor, I'm sure you would see good results from the Dura Grappler.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:40:26 AM by Blown F-150 »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:27 AM »
man, those are amazing photos and that water!   wow, so clear.   

Amazing.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

IMG_9219.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal