The Café Detailing Help Desk > Detailing Help

Nanoskin?

(1/4) > >>

Kitzy:
Ok.  Educate me here.  Seen a few things about it lately and I know Steve did a write up.  So...

Shock and Glide

Shock seems to be a cleaner, lubricator and protector in one.  I'm guessing can be used as a quick detailer as well.  Can be used with any of their pads, towels and mitts?

Glide is strictly a lubricator?  Shock minus the cleaning and protection?

Towels, Pads and Mitts

All seem to have a rubber(?) side.  All designed to replace claying.  While the mitt is also designed to be used as a regular mitt while negating the need to clay? 

I understand the fine vs medium of each.  That is self explainatory.

Am I basically gtaaping this correctly?  Am I missing anything? 

The wash mitt piques my interest but I just can't help but wonder where all the contaminants go.  I get that it does a great job of removing them but so does sandpaper.  Same goes for the pads and towel as well really.

My truck needs a SERIOUS claying so this has been on my mind.  It's also time to retire my current wash mitt.  So last two of this post...

What is everyone using now for wash mitts.  I'm still a big fan of poorboys chenille mitt.  I also have a few SM Arnold wool mitts in plastic yet. 

sscully:
Don't bother with purchasing glide.  If you want just a lube, you can use ONR mixed to QD rate or use PB S&W.
- I use ONR QD ratio with the pad on the Flex, other wise I am going at it with the towel and shock.

I have only used Shock one time as a QD, other wise I am using it with the towel to get the crud off the paint.  If it is not bad, the marring is acceptable ( in the winter ).  This is after washing the paint or ONR'ing the paint.

You can use Shock or Banana Ice as a QD with a MF towel if you want to.
There are other QD with protection out there that I think are better, but that is an opinion.  I find Shock and more so Banana Ice great in the winter when I want to hit the paint with some additional protection.  I would say it is good until the 1st time it gets pelted with salt, then it is gone.

I would not say the mitt is to replace a wash mitt.  Still need to follow the process of wash then "clay".
I am sure some will think you can combo wash and clay into a single step.  I am not that person.

The towel, mitt and pad all need to be cleaned against a grit guard or wash board at the same interval as folding clay. 
This, for me, is once or twice per panel I am hitting it on the dirt dropper wash board and then into a clean water bucket before going back to the paint.
- I could be overboard on this, but I find it works and it is still quicker than folding clay.

I use the PB chenille mitt on the lower panel. 

I have a wool mitt from DI that I use on the upper sides of the panels. 
Makes keeping the mitts straight easier to me.

Blown F-150:
I am with Steve, I won't use the Nanoskin "Wash Mitt" as a actual wash mitt. To be honest, I bought it as it was a cheaper option than the towel. I washed with a Meguiar's MF wash mitt and like it.

I used the grit guard in my rinse bucket followed by a hose rinse to clean the nanoskin mitt twice per panel. Used ONR as my lube. It went really fast.

As for where the contaminants go with the Nanoskin; there are pores in the rubberized coating that seem to "absorb" the contaminants. I really tried to listen carefully as I was going at it and there wasn't any apparent "Marring" taking place. I also inspected a couple of areas with my RUPES light and nothing stood out as new or extra marring.

Kitzy:
I'm not a big fan of lube specific products.  So I would never get glide.  And honestly, the last thing I need is another QD at all unless it's some new type of magic QD that changes the game.  I can't really say I'm sold on any of this stuff.  Steve seems to think it induced some marring, which everything does to an extent.  And it seems like a pain to keep clean.  I can knead clay in no time.  And I clay as part of the drying process (not all the time and I still use a QD) so all in all, to clay and dry, takes me like 20 minutes to do my crew cab.  If I could use the mitt as a wash mitt to eliminate the need to clay after then it'd be worth it. 

I was mainly trying to wrap my head around the nanoskin system/products.  And it went hand in hand with looking for a new wash mitt.  Two birds, one stone and all.

Rollingrock:
Holy crap....a detail discussion.    :funny:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version