1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Snowmageddon 2016  (Read 9264 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Snowmageddon 2016
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »
We got hammered.  Been out cleaning up for 3 days now and back out again tomorrow.  Some roads haven't even been plowed yet.  We are responsible for a residential development.     Sidewalks and roads.  It's been hell.  We have to go dig out fire hydrants and mail Boxes tomorrow.  Here's a couple pics.

The pretty photo. 

One of the cars in the development.  It looks plowed in but that really how high the snow is.  Higher on cars where its drifted.

This is the street a coworker lives on.   

Just a shot of part of the development part way through clean up

My truck stuck while trying to plow out our shop this morning.  My truck and girlfriends car are inside.  Haha. Along with the keys to the loader. 

This is great.  There was a complaint to the property manager because someone reserved their spot.  Now you southerners don't understand this but when you have a clean spot, especially one you killed yourself cleaning, you place a random object, usually a chair or recycling bin in its place when you leave.  This is frowned upon in this development apparently.  But the random objects deserving the spot were hilarious and I've never seen anything like it.  That's two crutches, two outdoor end tables, and a broken shovel. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Snowmageddon 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:18:08 PM »
Wow Mike, that sucks! We had one like that a number of years ago up here. When the we went out, the boss told us: "The only way we don't go in is if it's above the mirrors on your (F-350) trucks." Think we go stuck a few times like you? Yupper!

Be careful!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »
Just another thought for you Mike. When it gets really deep or heavy up here, we fill the pickup beds on all of our trucks with snow for extra weight / traction. Makes a huge difference in what you can push. And you're going to need all the help you can get as that stuff starts to melt.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
This is great.  There was a complaint to the property manager because someone reserved their spot.  Now you southerners don't understand this but when you have a clean spot, especially one you killed yourself cleaning, you place a random object, usually a chair or recycling bin in its place when you leave.  This is frowned upon in this development apparently.

It is frowned upon in Chicago. 
The news has to repeat every 10 min in the news reports, that there is no such thing as reserving a street spot because people get in shovel hitting fights over trying to reserve street spots like this.

The Mrs used to live in an apartment complex that had numbered spots which made it easier.  I would clean her spot and the clown next to her would straddle the line because he could not get in his spot filled with caved in snow.
He stopped the last time I built a 4' high pile of snow behind his car, making sure I compacted the snow under the rear, so he could not get out
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
Tom, the storm took care of that for me, and I have it loaded down with cinder blocks. 

Steve, that's pretty much what I would do.  Unless I have enough room to hook a chain up.  In which case I am just going to move the vehicle myself.  On a similar but unrelated note, I was parked in on all sides (seriously, wtf) in a parking lot once.  The person parked most unreasonable was directly behind me so I backed slowly in to them and then proceeded to push them clean out in to the intersection of the parking lot, leaving them sit there diagonally.  Bet they were confused when they left.

There is a guy in my neighborhood who keeps a patio chair in his pick up bed.  If he sees a clean, unreserved spot, he will take it and the reserve it for himself when he leaves.  Every time I go out and move his chairs even if I'm not parking there.  I placed it in a garbage can hanging off of the telephone pole once to make a point. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:51:16 PM »
Holy Crap, our news just showed what a "DIBS" was.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »
I have "perma dibs" with a driveway and no street parking in front of my house, oh and a 2 car garage.

Parking inequality for the win  :cheers:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 02:44:05 PM »
Here's a picture I snapped on my way to the gym today. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 12:17:11 AM »
Geez, that's a lot of snow! Sometimes I'm happy it just mostly rains here in the winter. If I want snow, I just drive up the mountains. :funny:
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
I talked with someone in Westchester Co NY and he said the temp jumped up and it is melting already.
- I don't know if that is the case everywhere.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »
It's been a warm week for sure.  The piles will stick around until may probably.  Anything left untouched will probably melt by next week sometime.  They want it 50 on Monday. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »
77 here today, 76 tomorrow then reality sets back in.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 11:19:18 PM »
Reality? What's that? 70?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 11:55:49 PM »
Reality? What's that? 70?

It got up to 78 today.   Tomorrow should only be 72 ish, with wind. 

Next week is low 60's mid 50's.   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 11:58:32 PM »
Those are the best temperatures.  I love 50s and 60s.  That's perfect weather.  We are supposed to hit 63 on Wednesday.  Crazy.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal