April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: This Probably Won't Buff Out  (Read 25411 times)

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
Re: This Probably Won't Buff Out
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 08:35:15 AM »
That really sucks Tom I'm glad your son wasn't hurt.
Good enough never is

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
Good news. The insurance company adjuster just left and believes the car can be fixed for a little under $4,300. (That includes pulling the A pillar back out.) I'm going to the collision shop first thing tomorrow morning to get things rolling there. Hopefully they can get it in and start working on it before the first snow hits. I'll post pics when it's done.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »
Thats great, Tom!
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 11:10:25 PM »
Sweet!
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 11:12:21 PM »
Awesome.  Hope those parts you located are still available to help with cost containment.

Question is, does the body shop agree with the insurance adjuster's opinion ?
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 06:32:11 AM »
Awesome.  Hope those parts you located are still available to help with cost containment.

Question is, does the body shop agree with the insurance adjuster's opinion ?

Generally speaking, the shop will not agree with the insurance adjuster - but they'll work it out. In fact they told me to get the insurance estimate, then bring everything in and they'd find a way to make it work. Truth be told, I was quite impressed with what the adjuster explained they were willing to do to repair the car. And since I'm already comfortable with the shop's work, I feel pretty good about everything right now.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
Situation Update: I scored a set of virtually perfect doors and an almost perfect front fender yesteray - all off a low mileage / no rust wreck about an hour from here. http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/5337798699.html (They're even the correct color.) The insurance company wanted me to use aftermarket parts, but since I paid less for these, the only aftermarket parts are going to be the front bumper cover and wheel well liner. I used some of the savings to get them to spring for an OEM headlight. (Did I mention that aftermarket replacement headlights suck?)

The shop is going to repair the rear quarter / dogleg (under / behind the rear door), pull the A pillar out, replace the damaged doors & front fender with the parts I got, then paint the entire side of the car plus the front bumper cover. I'm going to reinstall the driving lights, right front fog light and replace the right front tire. Painting the whole side should minimize color match issues. And since most of the sheet metal will be factory paint with new paint over it, corrosion shouldn't be a problem except on the repaired rear quarter. I've asked them to pay special attention to that area for just that reason.

The car just went into the shop and I have a rental to drive for the duration. Keep your fingers crossed!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »
A rental?. Where's the Toyota?
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »

Parked safely in the garage - away from the local deer population.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »

It's winter.  It is in storage.

I think mom's chrysler sebring convertible does better in the snow... :burn:
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 02:19:33 PM »
Collision shop just called. They found some more hidden damage in the quarter panel and have to wait for the insurance adjuster to approve more repairs. Might be into next week before I get it back.

BTW, I have a Buick Encore (AWD CUV) for a rental. Worst / vaguest steering of any vehicle I've ever driven. You can't even place it in a corner with any confidence because the steering wheel is apparently connected to the front wheels via the transatlantic cable. And rearward visibility? Yea, right. It kind of shows why they're herding us toward self driving cars so quickly. None of this will be a problem when one isn't driving anymore. Count me out. I want my toaster back! At least it's fun to drive.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »
Crap !!

I hope that does not push it over the limit on you.  Hate to see you need to go into pocket to fit it or have to deal with a 3 color car.
- Pillars new, doors as they are and the factory paint.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 07:55:52 PM »
Steve,

The insurance adjuster called me this afternoon and filled me in on what was wrong. Apparently the\ shop found an additional $475 worth of hidden damage on the front apron under the battery box when they pulled out the A pillar. It wasn't the quarter panel as the shop had told me. Still not enough to total the car - which is fine with me. I might not have it back till next week though. Oh well, I don't care how long it takes as long as it's fixed right.

As for the 3 colored car, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This shop has an awesome painter who has been with them for over 20 years. If anybody can do it right, he can. It would make one heck of a nice Christmas present if it came back right.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 10:30:37 PM »
Tom,

glad to hear it is that "minor".  Even if you had to go into your pocket for $200 of it, it is still worth it.

I thought the worst, another 1,200.00 +

You have the rent a marshmallow for the duration, so that is the down side.

I had a buick something or another rental in 2009 out of SFO.  I took it into the turn off 880 going towards SC university, and downshifted into 2nd to scrub speed.  The car did nothing  :wow:
- It did not act like a Ford, I slammed the brakes and once the car got slow enough ( down below safe ramp speed ) it down shifted.  PoS !
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 05:11:30 PM »
The shop called today and said the car had just come out of paint. They wanted me to check out the progress before they went any further. The Front Bumper Cover still wasn't on it and the Rear Bumper Cover was detached on the driver side so they could paint everything else. All of the sheet metal had been hung and painted though.

Quite honestly, it looked pretty good considering what it went through. There were a few minor (easily fixable) blemishes in the paint and I asked if they could improve the fit between the front and rear doors just a bit. Other than that, I was pretty happy.

I picked up the old doors and brought them home. Why? Well, they still contain the window glass and regulator assemblies, door handles and latches as well as all of the wiring, switches, motors, speakers, etc. If I keep this car as long as I'm planning, some of this stuff might come in handy. So into a corner of the basement they went.

The car should be finished by next Monday or Tuesday and I'll bring it home. I'll then re-install the fog lights, driving lights, license plate bracket and new tire. (Trying to save some money here.) Then I'll post some pics up to see what you guys think. Will it be perfect? No, but hey, it's 9 years old with 60,000 mikes on it. It'll be good enough.

* Recent Photos

Russian Diver

Views: 6
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal