1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: This Probably Won't Buff Out  (Read 24761 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
This Probably Won't Buff Out
« on: November 27, 2015, 02:51:44 PM »
Well boys and girls, my favorite daily driver ended up getting wrecked yesterday. My son was driving it to visit his grandparents in Pennsylvania (a few hours from home) and swerved to miss a deer on an expressway. He ended up losing it and side swiping a guard rail. Fortunately, my son was OK, but the damage to the car certainly won’t buff out.

Despite the damage, the car still drives perfectly straight – except for a slight tire rub on what’s left of the wheel well liner. None of the air bags went off. There is a pretty decent air gap around the top of the door frame from the door getting deformed. We won’t know how bad the damage really is until the door comes off. The preliminary estimate is just under four thousand dollars – and that’s if the A pillar isn’t pranged. I’ve already located all of the body parts from a 29,000 mile wreck that’s even the exact same color.

Oh well, I guess the clean Carfax report on this one is now a thing of the past. At least it looks fixable and my son is OK.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:44:09 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: This Probably Won't Buff Out
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
Glad to hear they are OK.

I have to ask the dumb question, why was he using your box instead of his*
- His as in your old one you gave him.

BTW : I take it that is a typo in the 1st paragraph : "and swerved to hit a deer on an expressway"
- Maybe and swerved to not hit a deer on an expressway or and swerved to miss a deer on an expressway
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:44:32 PM by Too Stroked »
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
Glad to hear they are OK.

I have to ask the dumb question, why was he using your box instead of his*
- His as in your old one you gave him.

BTW : I take it that is a typo in the 1st paragraph : "and swerved to hit a deer on an expressway"
- Maybe and swerved to not hit a deer on an expressway or and swerved to miss a deer on an expressway

Steve,

He was driving my toaster (xB) because his mom had his (my old one). Long story with an ugly ending as you can see.

As for the typo, you were correct and I corrected it. (By mistake, I changed your post instead of mine, then changed it back.)

A funny thing happened at the collision shop today while getting the estimate. The estimator said it might be close to a total. I then asked him to do everything he could not to total it - unlike most folks. The car is just too good - and still tight as a drum - to write off. Since most of the damage appears to be cosmetic and I trust this shop's ability to make it perfect, I want it fixed and will live with the marked Carfax report. BTW, this is the shop that fixed my Tacoma so well last winter.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »
Wow.  What are the odds of finding all of the same parts in the same color.  As long as he is ok, the rest doesn't matter.  Bummer for sure though.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
Wow.  What are the odds of finding all of the same parts in the same color.  As long as he is ok, the rest doesn't matter.  Bummer for sure though.

They're the same color and from a low mileage car, but none of them are perfect, so all will have to be repainted. But at least they're not aftermarket parts - which the insurance company may want me to take. The quarter panel will need to be straightened and repainted too, so the whole side of the car will end up with fresh paint. That should avoid any paint match / fade in issues. I'm just hoping the A-pillar isn't pranged.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »
My biggest pet peeve on my expedition was after the fender was painted, from the door all the way back was a perfect match.  The hood was a noticeably different shade.  Probably faded from years of sun beating down on a horizontal surface. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 09:21:57 PM »
Steve,

He was driving my toaster (xB) because his mom had his (my old one). Long story with an ugly ending as you can see...<snip>...

Crap, after all these years and she is still a thorn in your side.  :moody:
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:19:32 AM »
Just snaked a camera in and found the A pillar is indeed bent.  :moody:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »
Does that total it now?

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
Does that total it now?

I won't know until the insurance adjuster comes - maybe tomorrow. I really don't want this vehicle totaled, but if they do, I'll probably buy it back and fix it.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 03:55:33 PM »
that sucks.  glad he is ok .   hope you can fix it.
================

Doug

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
CRAP !!

Even with the parts you found and the work needed, that might take it up over $ 4K to fix it.

If it is totaled, do you know how much you are going to have to go into your pocket on it ?
- buying the car, re-title back and work ?

Not like a clean carfax means anything, you are not going to sell it anytime soon.

If you salvage it, does that change the insurance on it ?
IL does not allow salvage titles, so I have no clue if the insurance company still insures it the same, or if it is like Fed Flood Ins in a flooded house ( they already paid once, that is it ).
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »
CRAP !!

Even with the parts you found and the work needed, that might take it up over $ 4K to fix it.

If it is totaled, do you know how much you are going to have to go into your pocket on it ?
- buying the car, re-title back and work ?

Not like a clean carfax means anything, you are not going to sell it anytime soon.

If you salvage it, does that change the insurance on it ?
IL does not allow salvage titles, so I have no clue if the insurance company still insures it the same, or if it is like Fed Flood Ins in a flooded house ( they already paid once, that is it ).

Steve,

My initial guess was that it had at least $5,000 worth of damage. The preliminary estimate from the shop that will fix it was $3,700 using new / aftermarket parts and assuming no damage to the A pillar. (I have no idea why the guy didn't look where I did.) The big question is how much pulling the A pillar out will add and if that will push it over the edge and total it. 

If they do decide to total it, as I understand it, I can take the insurance money and then buy the car back to fix it. The question will be if I can make that work financially. I think I can get the guy down some more on the used parts and that might help. I do believe that the car would then get a "salvage title" which makes it pretty much unsaleable. Since I have no plans for selling it anytime soon - and since it still drives perfectly - that shouldn't be a problem.

The next few weeks are going to be a real learning experience. And I really want to get it fixed before the first real snow hits. Once that happens, all of the collision shops get busy and quality sometimes goes out the window. Wish me luck.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
Just caught it....oh geez, I know you love that car.

Glad your son is ok....avoiding Deer is a problem here in Texas too...bad chit always happens. 

Ugh, what a pain.    I hate bent stuff

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:38 PM »
Really sorry to see Tom. I hope it gets sorted out at least to the point where you can keep on driving it without too much of a ding to your pocket book.

Very glad your son is OK! That is by far the most important part!
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

* Recent Photos

Mustang

Views: 3
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal