1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 356209 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #780 on: March 14, 2019, 08:54:43 PM »
Ha, I can see that. The things I do for my truck, lol. :redneck:

No pics, it was night time as I could only get away after I put the boy down for bed. I will make sure to get plenty of pics this summer though and MAYBE even some Drone footy.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #781 on: March 19, 2019, 10:35:52 PM »
I drove the truck around on a near stock tune to gather some data for the upgraded torque converter. The truck feels like a absolute slug when it's making 200 less HP, lol.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #782 on: March 20, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
I drove the truck around on a near stock tune to gather some data for the upgraded torque converter. The truck feels like a absolute slug when it's making 200 less HP, lol.
Wait, what upgraded torque converter?  Did I overlook this or is this a new part?  Why revert back to stock/near stock?  Did you just put it in or was it in during your trip to your parents?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #783 on: March 20, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
Custom Circle D converter went into the truck when I installed the motor. We made a bunch of changes to the tune for the TC and wanted to do a comparison on lock-up compared to the stock programming. We had to do it, because the tune wasn't locking up the TC at the right RPM. It actually turned out that the Throttle body was out of calibration and throwing off the load tables, which was making the TC act wonky.

SO MUCH S**T TO FIGURE OUT WHEN YOU'RE DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE  :dope:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #784 on: March 22, 2019, 07:51:56 AM »
Custom Circle D converter went into the truck when I installed the motor. We made a bunch of changes to the tune for the TC and wanted to do a comparison on lock-up compared to the stock programming. We had to do it, because the tune wasn't locking up the TC at the right RPM. It actually turned out that the Throttle body was out of calibration and throwing off the load tables, which was making the TC act wonky.

SO MUCH S**T TO FIGURE OUT WHEN YOU'RE DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE  :dope:
It would probably be easier if everything wasn't done like a long distance relationship.  Haha

What a pain in the ass.  It will be worth it though.  When it's all done and you're bored again, you're going to have to sell the truck and start over.  By the time you're done tuning, you're going to have 100,000 miles just in test drives. 

What fuel do you have to run in it? 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #785 on: March 22, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »
Yeah, I'm kind of having fun with the journey as I always do. Since it's paid for, I want to hang onto the truck for a long time and get a Mustang or BMW to satisfy the mod itch, but that is likely a few years down the road. I'm certainly a consumer and want so many things....

On the list right now...
Mavic 2 Pro
Mountain Bike (funds from selling the Lincoln will go towards this)
Enclosed trailer (16ft x 7ft)
Maverick X3
KTM 690 Enduro R

I did promise the Wife a new whip this summer. We are waiting on the 2020 Explorer for her to test drive, before she decides what she wants. She's been really liking the X5, but we would have to go used and she wants her first new vehicle since she has been working her tail off and we have no debt other than a small mortgage on the house.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:29:26 AM by Blown F-150 »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #786 on: March 22, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »
Our list looks similar. 

I want a Mavic 2.
I think I'm better off not touching my mountain bike.
I need a new, bigger trailer.  Enclosed is nice but I am afraid of roof height.  My Maverick barely fit in the enclosed work trailer.  Cleared by about an inch.  The X3 is much shorter though.
While an X3 itself isn't necessarily on my list, parts for my Maverick are.
I'll stick to 4 wheels.  Haha

The new Explorers are nice but wow are they getting expensive.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #787 on: March 22, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
The height of the trailer will really be key as I need to account for putting tracks on it down the road. I did find a couple that make over height ones, but would have to measure everything out. I would be more worried about the added width with tracks.

Probably won't be this summer anyway though, as we have #2 on the way and getting my Bike and a SUV will be more than enough.

All the money I had saved up for "toys" went into the truck last year, so I gotta start saving over again.

As for fuel in the truck, I'm running 94 octane, but it's water compared to US fuel. Based on the timing I see, it's pretty close to 92 Octane state-side.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #788 on: March 22, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
Looks like the tracks add about 5" to the height.  Also looks like it's about 7" to the width.  That's a lot, but even if you opt for the 72" X3, you would still be under 7' wide by a good bit.  All three of our enclosed trailers (two 8' enclosed and one 8.5', thsta the box and not the outside of the tires and fenders) measure more than 7' between the fenders inside.  Are you wanting a Max or a 2 seater?  A Max with tracks is crazy long.  But with the little guy growing up and I'm assuming when you just said #2 on the way, you were referring to another kid, you may need the extra room to take the family out.  If it's too tall, you could always do a swap back to tires just for transporting.  If you have to trailer it to a trail head somewhere then that would get annoying. 

By the way, congratulations on #2!  Did I miss that announcement? 

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #789 on: March 22, 2019, 06:10:51 PM »
...<snip>..She's been really liking the X5, but we would have to go used and she wants her first new vehicle since she has been working her tail off and we have no debt other than a small mortgage on the house.

My old partner had 2 of them 2 years apart ( 2016 & 2018 ), and talk about uncomfortable for anything longer than a 3 hour drive.

He drove twice and after that he parked it in my garage and I drove the Nav.  He could not believe how much better he felt when we would get to DSM or STL from ORD.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #790 on: March 22, 2019, 06:37:39 PM »
...<snip>..She's been really liking the X5, but we would have to go used and she wants her first new vehicle since she has been working her tail off and we have no debt other than a small mortgage on the house.

My old partner had 2 of them 2 years apart ( 2016 & 2018 ), and talk about uncomfortable for anything longer than a 3 hour drive.

He drove twice and after that he parked it in my garage and I drove the Nav.  He could not believe how much better he felt when we would get to DSM or STL from ORD.
Cassie's sister has an X5.  It's really nice.  I've never heard her complain of any discomfort.  She also does not drive it far at all.  Farthest is to our house which is about a half hour.  It's definitely on the sportier side though and not exactly a cruiser.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #791 on: March 22, 2019, 11:09:46 PM »
Looks like the tracks add about 5" to the height.  Also looks like it's about 7" to the width.  That's a lot, but even if you opt for the 72" X3, you would still be under 7' wide by a good bit.  All three of our enclosed trailers (two 8' enclosed and one 8.5', thsta the box and not the outside of the tires and fenders) measure more than 7' between the fenders inside.  Are you wanting a Max or a 2 seater?  A Max with tracks is crazy long.  But with the little guy growing up and I'm assuming when you just said #2 on the way, you were referring to another kid, you may need the extra room to take the family out.  If it's too tall, you could always do a swap back to tires just for transporting.  If you have to trailer it to a trail head somewhere then that would get annoying. 

By the way, congratulations on #2!  Did I miss that announcement? 

I would certainly be looking at a 64" wide X3. The 72" ones are just too wide for most of the trails I would be exploring. The max is a serious consideration, but on the flip side, the wife would probably like to drive her own rig. So maybe a Outlander max or something as well. Lot's of time to figure it out as it would be a couple years before I put the second kid in one.

Thanks, I honestly don't remember who we have told. We just never got around too it and now it's a bit late, lol. Very excited to be expanding the family.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #792 on: March 22, 2019, 11:11:57 PM »

Cassie's sister has an X5.  It's really nice.  I've never heard her complain of any discomfort.  She also does not drive it far at all.  Farthest is to our house which is about a half hour.  It's definitely on the sportier side though and not exactly a cruiser.

Yeah, long distance haul comfort is mandatory. We test drove a 2016 X5 diesel and it seemed super comfy, but we all know that can change after a few hours behind the wheel. Time will tell, I will leave this up to her with a little bit of influence as needed  :whisp:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #793 on: March 23, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
Realized I didn't post the X3 Max on tracks.  Sooooo big.  Haha

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #794 on: March 23, 2019, 10:22:57 AM »
Whelp... I guess this "little" project should be over either 2020 or 2021...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26912015/ford-f-150-raptor-v-8-supercharged/

I'll take two, please!

* Recent Photos

IMG_9197.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal