March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358333 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2017, 12:49:47 PM »
...<snip>....I have "grand plans" to put in a winch sometime in the future, but it's a bit of a pipe-dream at the moment. ...<snip>....

Would a winch block the airflow down there ?

There was some plate mounting hand waving about with blocking airflow to the cooler.

I don't know one way or the other.

It was funny to me to read all the supposition on F150OL about the EB when they 1st came out.
- The 'you just have not had the problem yet' statements...
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2017, 11:41:53 AM »
The 5.4L in my 2002 Expedition spit a plug. 
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So did my 2000 5.4 on the side of a mountain while moving to Vancouver. That sucked.

This is how the 'high numbers' start.

This is 2 did. 
Mine, Toms and JPs did not, so some will come up with a 40% failure rate..
- 2 out of 5

:dunno:

I blame mine on me. I just did the plugs before the trip in preparation. I didn't pull out the torque wrench and torque them properly. I just did the good 'ol "snug" tightness.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 03:02:56 PM by Blown F-150 »
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
...<snip>....I have "grand plans" to put in a winch sometime in the future, but it's a bit of a pipe-dream at the moment. ...<snip>....

Would a winch block the airflow down there ?

There was some plate mounting hand waving about with blocking airflow to the cooler.

I don't know one way or the other.

It was funny to me to read all the supposition on F150OL about the EB when they 1st came out.
- The 'you just have not had the problem yet' statements...

One of the reasons I went with the Full Race intercooler. It relocates up to be in front of the radiator. I figured it would also pick up less road debris being higher. My stock intercooler has a lot of sand and rock damage.

So now I have the same available space as the 5.0. I was even considering moving my plate back to the center, but then put this grill in there instead.

It's not likely to happen, but with no grill something could fly in there and has a straight shot at the crank pulley/belt.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #303 on: July 24, 2017, 12:28:22 PM »
The 5.4L in my 2002 Expedition spit a plug. 

So did my 2000 5.4 on the side of a mountain while moving to Vancouver. That sucked.

This is how the 'high numbers' start.

I blame mine on me. I just did the plugs before the trip in preparation. I didn't pull out the torque wrench and torque them properly. I just did the good 'ol "snug" tightness.

This is 2 did. 
Mine, Toms and JPs did not, so some will come up with a 40% failure rate..
- 2 out of 5

:dunno:
Mine hadn't been changed yet, at least not while I had owned the vehicle.  I'm guessing at this point but I had already put maybe 40k miles on it by that point.  I feel like that should never had been an issue in the first place but then again all mistakes are avoidable in hindsight. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #304 on: July 24, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
Mine hadn't been changed yet, at least not while I had owned the vehicle.  I'm guessing at this point but I had already put maybe 40k miles on it by that point.  I feel like that should never had been an issue in the first place but then again all mistakes are avoidable in hindsight. 

It was not an issue for you, it was only an issue for a small number of vehicles.
- You were lead to believe it was an issue without seeing it; 'someday' it would happen.

My 2001 had a hard 65K miles on it when changed, also not an issue.

Your post reads as someone that expected it to be a problem...
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #305 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
Mine also had 160,000 miles of hard use on it before it spit a plug.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #306 on: July 25, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
Mine also had 160,000 miles of hard use on it before it spit a plug.

On the 1st set of plugs ?

I was pushing the AF ratio pretty hard on my 2001 for track racing it.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #307 on: July 25, 2017, 12:07:34 PM »
For sure not, I do plugs every 50-60k miles. I don't like to let any plugs go longer than that. Coppers get replaced every 50k miles tops.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: July 25, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »

It was not an issue for you, it was only an issue for a small number of vehicles.
- You were lead to believe it was an issue without seeing it; 'someday' it would happen.

My 2001 had a hard 65K miles on it when changed, also not an issue.

Your post reads as someone that expected it to be a problem...
It absolutely was an issue for me.  It was an issue for anyone that it happened to.  I'm one of those people that thinks "it'll never happen to me." That goes for all things.  This was no exception.  I knew it was happening but I always assumed it wouldn't happen to me.  It did.  It shouldn't have.  I just feel like it was a poor design.  But like I said, hindsight is always 20/20.  What might seem ok at the time can turn out to not be the best way to do something.  Regardless, it seemed to be limited to one specific motor out of how many on the road from all different manufacturers?  It's not a coincidence.  It was indeed a problem, be it a relatively small one in numbers or not, still a problem.  Much like with all of the diesels on the road, the 6.0 was the only one with it's specific issues.  Every manufacturer has their issues but that doesn't lessen their affect on an individual.  I think for a while Duramax were having costly injector issues. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #309 on: July 25, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »
It absolutely was an issue for me.  It was an issue for anyone that it happened to.  I'm one of those people that thinks "it'll never happen to me." That goes for all things.  This was no exception.  I knew it was happening but I always assumed it wouldn't happen to me.  It did.  It shouldn't have.  I just feel like it was a poor design.  But like I said, hindsight is always 20/20.  What might seem ok at the time can turn out to not be the best way to do something.  Regardless, it seemed to be limited to one specific motor out of how many on the road from all different manufacturers?  It's not a coincidence.  It was indeed a problem, be it a relatively small one in numbers or not, still a problem.  Much like with all of the diesels on the road, the 6.0 was the only one with it's specific issues.  Every manufacturer has their issues but that doesn't lessen their affect on an individual.  I think for a while Duramax were having costly injector issues. 

So it DID happen. 
You post did not read that way, with theplugs hadn't been changed yet, at least not while you had owned the vehicle

thank you for the clarification.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #310 on: July 25, 2017, 11:42:16 PM »
Kinda nervous about the Dyno tomorrow. It's like taking your kid to hockey, you want them to do well, lol.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #311 on: July 26, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
Well, what can I say. The truck didn't put down the HP number I was hoping for (400), but I did some math and I shouldn't be too disappointed.

Running 91 pump gas only, not Meth or anything else goofy. Mustang Dyno that reads 10% low compared to DynoJets, loss of 10whp thanks to the bigger tires.

Enough with the excuses.

Previous run (91 Octane tune only)
284hp/381tq

Today (Intercooler, Turbo's, Intake, Cat-Back, ported Manifolds, 91 PRX tune)
342hp/449tq

So a 17% gain HP and 16% gain in Tq, with much better curves. I would sacrifice some Tq for some HP, if I could.

If I convert my final numbers to Dynojet Numbers, they are 376hp and 493tq/

At the crank, rough conversion is  432hp  567tq

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
Enough with the excuses.

Previous run (91 Octane tune only)
284hp/381tq

Today (Intercooler, Turbo's, Intake, Cat-Back, ported Manifolds, 91 PRX tune)
342hp/449tq

So a 17% gain HP and 16% gain in Tq, with much better curves. I would sacrifice some Tq for some HP, if I could.

That is nothing to sneeze at. 
Might have been a tad pricey to get there but without the expense you were not going to make it with the EB engine.

That is the thing, you are starting with a pretty well engineered engine, trying to make as much HP as it can on small displacement. 
- It is not like having a big sloppy 5.4 that can pound out HP without a lot of work.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #313 on: July 27, 2017, 12:07:21 AM »
The sad thing is that I did a bunch of work to my old 5.4 and it didn't put down numbers like this.

There is a lot left on the table due to the fuel I'm running. Keeping everything else the same and just running better gas, it would put down 400whp.

Probably not going to do much else performance wise for a while. Next up will be down-pipes and turbo-to-intercooler piping. Should get me pretty close.

Looking at the logs, I could probably add a couple degrees of timing and still be safe. That would add 20-30hp.

It's all just fun in the end, had a good time at the Dyno. They knew right away that I was put some work in and the truck was running stronger. The high TQ is very noticeable when driving.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2017, 07:15:57 AM »
The numbers don't really matter in the end as long as you feel justified based on the seat of your pants gain.  Atleast you know there's quite a bit more available to you.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal