1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358514 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #270 on: June 26, 2017, 01:24:51 AM »
Well Mike, I hope to actually have some progress pics for you by the end of next week. If I can get some work stuff sorted out, I plan on taking Thursday/Friday off to get the Turbo's installed.

I believe I have everything in order to get them done. I'm going to pick up another MAP gas torch that has a hose instead of threading right on the bottle. Should make it easier to get some of the bolts heated up.

Then, fingers crossed I don't hit any snag's.

Another guy just tuned his GT's with MPT and hit 452hp/512tq at the wheels. I would be pretty happy if I can get close to that.

I know that you could double that with just a tune on the old dirtymax, lol.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
Those numbers would make for one heck of a fun daily driver.  My old truck with the 6.2 was a lot of fun so I can only imagine. 

Ahhh, the need to tune the dmax is real.  Haha.  Im just paranoid.  I've never been paranoid with any of my past vehicles. 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »
Yeah, it would be roughly 530hp at the crank so not too shabby for a little wee-6.

Your D-Max is a very stout motor and can take a tune no problem. I just don't know how GM is about warranty stuff. I've heard that the Dodges have a flash counter to tell if a truck has been tuned, not sure about the GM's.

I'm sure there are some sneaky folks out there that have found a way around it with a piggy-backing system.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
Yeah, it would be roughly 530hp at the crank so not too shabby for a little wee-6.

Your D-Max is a very stout motor and can take a tune no problem. I just don't know how GM is about warranty stuff. I've heard that the Dodges have a flash counter to tell if a truck has been tuned, not sure about the GM's.

I'm sure there are some sneaky folks out there that have found a way around it with a piggy-backing system.
Banks claims to have a safer tune than factory that adds something like 120hp and a dealer cant tell it's there providing you return to stock before taking it in.  However, EVERYONE was claiming BS and that they know for a fact GM can tell.  So who knows.  I imagine it depends on the dealership as far as if they will cover something.

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Do they offer their own warranty? 5 star does for F-150's. It's not cheap, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a motor.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #275 on: June 28, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »
Mike has sent me a base tune for the GT's. I think I'm going to start tearing into the truck tomorrow.

Getting Nervous, I don't have a lot of time if something goes wrong (I fly back out on July 4th).

Wish me luck.

As a side note, I found a very cheap AFE Stage 2 intake. Problem is that it's for a 2011 that has a different sensor in the intake tube. So I will have to make some sort of adapter plate.

Still saved over $500 over grabbing a new one.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:11 PM »
No idea on the warranty.  I didn't look in to it myself.  It was all forum talk. 

Saved over 500?  How much does one cost new?  I remember I had an AFe stage 2 intake on my Expedition years back. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #277 on: June 29, 2017, 11:29:33 PM »
New, up here the same intake is $700 plus taxes (with cover). I picked this one up for $200. I wouldn't have paid that much for one new though!

Turbo's and manifolds done!

Started at 7:30 and was rolling again by 4:30. No real surprises. All the bolts came out without issue. Had to fight one of the coolant lines off the drivers side turbo.

Got it all buttoned up and then realized I forgot to put in the 170* t-stat, opps. Probably just going to leave it out and see how things go. I can always throw it in later and get an adjusted tune.

Planning on getting the Cat-back and intake done tomorrow.

Pics for proof!

SPD adapter on top of the oem one. A bit of a difference.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: June 30, 2017, 06:15:35 AM »
I think you're having a picture hosting issue.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #279 on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
 :funny:

Yup, done with photo bucket. Too bad, but I'm not paying $500 a year to be able to post pictures in forums.

Once I have some time, I'll swap over to Imgur.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: June 30, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »
:funny:

Yup, done with photo bucket. Too bad, but I'm not paying $500 a year to be able to post pictures in forums.

Once I have some time, I'll swap over to Imgur.
Until then, I guess you really didn't get anything done.  Being there's no proof and all...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »
There's proof on my phone, just have to get it on tapatalk and post, post, post.

Away visiting family out east the rest of the week.

Took the truck to do some data logging early on Sunday morning, what a beast! Even on the mild, near stock tune, it feels really strong right to redline.

I don't think I'll be keeping the intake though, too loud. You don't really hear the turbo's, just air sucking noise.

The exhaust is still debatable, I think I'll add a small Magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator and see if I like it better. If not, it's going back to stock with the stock resonator removed.

Very happy with how it's turning out. Think I'm close to letting it just sit like this for a while.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2017, 09:36:48 AM »
the tune you have is already setup for the intake and new turbos ?
- Cold be the turbo swap is direct with no need, I have no clue on the turbo engines.

The cat back is not impressive to you so far ?

Sounds like a lot of work, all I did was transplanting this weekend  :dunno:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »
The intake is too loud?  I don't mind that air sucking sound.  I'd be disappointed if it caused me to not hear the turbos but if it's beneficial then I'd live with it. 

What's wrong with the exhaust?  Maybe it's in the thread somewhere but what did you replace it with?  Why are your only options catback plus magnaflow or stock minus resonator?  Why not catback without the resonator all together?  Or are you trying to quiet it down? 

Glad to hear it's running strong though! 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2017, 10:38:08 PM »
the tune you have is already setup for the intake and new turbos ?
- Cold be the turbo swap is direct with no need, I have no clue on the turbo engines.

The cat back is not impressive to you so far ?

Sounds like a lot of work, all I did was transplanting this weekend  :dunno:

Tune was a "starter" for the Turbos. Mike has done quite a few of them now so he starts out pretty close. Additional logging is done to dial in for my particular set up and truck. Intake doesn't play in a ton to the performance as the stock intake is pretty good. This CAI is loud. I may try to mess with it a bit.

The Cat-back has a decent tone (for a V6), but is too loud for my liking. Getting old I guess. the Quiet "refined" sound of the stock truck has actually grown on me.

* Recent Photos

my new baby!

Views: 1
By: texbigred1

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal