Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358666 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2017, 11:35:27 PM »
I always use Shell gas when I can.  Next choice is Sunoco.  Sunoco is the only place I've ever seen 94 around here.  Sometimes you can't even find 93, only 92.  Makes you wonder though what you're actually putting in and you cant help but worry when it's recommended to run high octane and it might not be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Unless Sunoco has changed in the past few years, they have the highest BTU content for each octane.

This is what mike Troyer said when doing dyno runs and tunes for F150s.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2017, 10:49:12 AM »
I always use Shell gas when I can.  Next choice is Sunoco.  Sunoco is the only place I've ever seen 94 around here.  Sometimes you can't even find 93, only 92.  Makes you wonder though what you're actually putting in and you cant help but worry when it's recommended to run high octane and it might not be.

Unless Sunoco has changed in the past few years, they have the highest BTU content for each octane.

This is what mike Troyer said when doing dyno runs and tunes for F150s.

I wish I had more options, but we are pretty limited here. I did confirm with a couple of tuners in the area that the 94 Chevron consistently performs like 91-92 when it's fresh. Shell 91 has a higher RON (research octane number) than Chevron 94.

We have no-namers, Shell, Chevron, Esso, Petro Canada, Husky. And they all only provide a 91 octane option other than Chevron.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
I wish I had more options, but we are pretty limited here. I did confirm with a couple of tuners in the area that the 94 Chevron consistently performs like 91-92 when it's fresh. Shell 91 has a higher RON (research octane number) than Chevron 94.

We have no-namers, Shell, Chevron, Esso, Petro Canada, Husky. And they all only provide a 91 octane option other than Chevron.

I don't know what happens north of the 49th parallel with fuel, it could all be out the window.

Mike was only working from his area with fuel options down here in the states.
- the east side of the country has a ton of processing so I don't know if we ever see finished fuel from CAN or just sand flats crude..

I do not get Sunoco until I am in Indy or over in MI.
- The ones in MI are usually in sketchy areas of DTW.... :wow:
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #258 on: June 10, 2017, 12:44:06 AM »
Pretty much 100% of our fuel comes from US processing plants, yet the fuel is different somehow.

I know out east around Toronto, you can get better gas and there are more 91+ Octane options.

All well, can't do much about it and if I do happen to find better fuel, the truck will adjust (somewhat) for it.

The goal is 400whp, we'll see if we can actually hit it running water for gas...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #259 on: June 14, 2017, 11:37:08 PM »
Progress!

Intercooler arrived today as scheduled. I honestly thought I would have to wait until at least tomorrow.

Showed up at my door 1:30, installed and the truck was running by 3:30. Pretty straight forward, probably should have read the instructions as I have a tiny screw left over in the parts, but think it may be for the eBOV elbow. The only real pain was the supplied vacuum line for the BOV was too small for the fitting on the intake. I had to rig up an adapter using some fuel line parts I had. I'll be getting a proper adapter and line tomorrow.

I know it's been mentioned many times before, but they don't mess around with the packing!

Awesomeness

It's hard to see, but I do have a "corked up" OEM CAC. Really too bad, but whatever it's out now.

Thanks to Chris H, I also installed a Tial BOV.

I'll hopefully do some datalogging in the next couple of days to compare IAT2 temps.

I also put in a AEM dry drop in filter.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #260 on: June 15, 2017, 05:43:24 PM »
I have to ask the dumb question, why is there a Y pipe feeding it ?

Is that to work at cooling 2 streams instead of a single stream of air ?

I don't know what the guts of it are, from not doing much research on it.
- I have the 5.4 N/A engine and the wife's 3L twin turbo does not need help in that small of a vehicle.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #261 on: June 15, 2017, 11:54:50 PM »
Not a dumb question at all.

That is where the two hot pipes from the Turbos connect to the intercooler. They run directly to the OEM intercooler as two individual pipes.

On the other end, it's a single pipe running up to the intake. The BOV mounts on the cold-side pipe close to the intercooler.

It's a pricey unit, but honestly the nicest built and most complete kit (you get a "free" cold-side pipe which is $200ish by itself).

Very impressed with the quality and it allows me to run a winch in the future (gotta keep your options open, ya know, lol)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »
Got it !

I was looking at it backwards, not realizing the single side of the Y went to the full race intercooler.

The pictures on the full race web site install section are small, so I am trying to magnify them to see what the heck you had to do with the install. 
I was curious what it was, what appeared to me, so quick of an install.

Now that you post that, I can understand what the heck I am looking at.

From the turbos

Factory unit

The factory BOV is it a eBOV ?
If it is beyond the additional vac line, is there programming needed for the PCM, or is there no feedback to the PCM from the eBOV ( it is a boost confirm to the PCM )  ?

The install does not show the BOV, is that up high in the engine compartment ?
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »
The website has awful pics for trying to figure it out. It was a quick install, the OEM intercooler drops out in 10 minutes or so. It took me more time to fight some of the rubber joints on than it did to tighten up all the clamps. I didn't even need to read the instructions, everything was pretty straight forward.

I'll take a couple of pics this weekend of the Tial BOV so you can see where it sits now. The idea is that it's in the lowest location of the system, so that it will evacuate any possible build up of condensation. It's on the cold side of the intercooler between the intercooler and the cold-side pipe going to the intake. It's pretty much on the bottom of the intercooler. It requires a vacuum reference to open (as traditional BOV's work). There is a "spare" nipple on the intake that you can use, but requires an adapter. I rigged it up to work for now until I have the adapter.

The stock BOV is electronic and doesn't rely on any vacuum source. It's all controlled by witchcraft in the ECM. I also bought the adapter pipe so I could run the stock BOV if I wanted. I'm not 100% sure of the Tial operation in very cold weather. Also if I get back into doing any offroading, having a open BOV low in the truck can ingest water on water crossings. I wasn't sure if I would like the sound of the Tial BOV either, but it's way quieter than I thought, which is good. I don't need to sound like a Turbo'd Civic whenever I let off the gas.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2017, 05:14:37 PM »
I'm not gonna lie, I have always loved the sound of a BOV.  Haha.  Civic or not. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #265 on: June 17, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Just to show the difference. Here are comparative 0-80mph runs. Same road, same everything except the swapped out intercooler.

OEM Intercooler

Full Race Intercooler (orange line is the speed)

I'm really itching to get the turbos on now!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:15 PM »
What do the numbers on the graph represent.  Maybe a stupid question.  I assume the numbers running vertical are the temperature in F.  What's the graph show on the bottom?

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #267 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »
The bottom numbers are the "Seconds" of the log".

So the top 0-80 is 984 seconds into the datalogging I took.

Make sense?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: June 20, 2017, 04:03:59 AM »
Yup.  Simple enough.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #269 on: June 24, 2017, 10:19:20 PM »
To give you an idea on where the BOV sits. This is looking up from underneath and towards the Drivers side.

* Recent Photos

ezlocker.jpg

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal