March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358454 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
Semi tossed a rock while on a high mountain road. It was just a chip, but couldn't get it filled in time and it turned into a heck of a crack. PITA to get swapped out, but I can't stand a cracked windshield.

Just an FYI. If you happen to use Rain-X (either the wipe on stuff or the windshield washer fluid), don't bother trying to get a chip fixed. I found out the hard way that using that product prevents the chip repair epoxy from bonding. So I have a couple of chips in both vehicle windshields that I'm just hoping won't expand into full cracks.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »
Semi tossed a rock while on a high mountain road. It was just a chip, but couldn't get it filled in time and it turned into a heck of a crack. PITA to get swapped out, but I can't stand a cracked windshield.

Just an FYI. If you happen to use Rain-X (either the wipe on stuff or the windshield washer fluid), don't bother trying to get a chip fixed. I found out the hard way that using that product prevents the chip repair epoxy from bonding. So I have a couple of chips in both vehicle windshields that I'm just hoping won't expand into full cracks.
Can't you just use something stronger to remove it first and then have the chip filled? 

Ryan, that sounds like a good day to me but a little worriesome about needing to clear your head.  Hope all is good. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »
Thanks for the input, but it has turned into a pretty long crack. I was then hit again this afternoon right in the line sight for the driver. Pretty good chip that will crack shortly too. Only fix is a new windshield at this point.

Great drive, but I took a lot of pics so I'll start a new thread. I never like to post up too much on the 'ol net, but the drive was needed. The Wife and Boy had to fly out east to get back home as the MIL is on her death bed. Very tough situation. I'm flying out soon as well.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2017, 07:20:31 AM »

Can't you just use something stronger to remove it first and then have the chip filled? 

According to the guy who came to repair mine, no. I guess once the Rain-X gets down into the chip, it's impossible to get it all out.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »
Thanks for the input, but it has turned into a pretty long crack. I was then hit again this afternoon right in the line sight for the driver. Pretty good chip that will crack shortly too. Only fix is a new windshield at this point.

Great drive, but I took a lot of pics so I'll start a new thread. I never like to post up too much on the 'ol net, but the drive was needed. The Wife and Boy had to fly out east to get back home as the MIL is on her death bed. Very tough situation. I'm flying out soon as well.
Understandable.  I'm the same way.  I don't post much about stuff like that, at least on social media.  I actually tend to vent more here to you guys, which is still the net but feels different.  Obviously we lost Cassies grandmother this past year to cancer which was, and still is, very hard.  My mom just had surgery for bladder cancer right before Christmas.  They said they got it all but as a precaution  they  she just started her first of 6 treatments on Friday.  It's a tough thing that I wish no one had to deal with.  My thoughts are with you.  Now where are those pictures!
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »
Understandable.  I'm the same way.  I don't post much about stuff like that, at least on social media.  I actually tend to vent more here to you guys, which is still the net but feels different.  Obviously we lost Cassies grandmother this past year to cancer which was, and still is, very hard.  My mom just had surgery for bladder cancer right before Christmas.  They said they got it all but as a precaution  they  she just started her first of 6 treatments on Friday.  It's a tough thing that I wish no one had to deal with.  My thoughts are with you.  Now where are those pictures!

Sorry for your troubles, that is rough to go through. 
I hope things turn out as best as they can for your mom.

you guys have had a rough 6 months in addition to moving.  That is a lot going on at one time !
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »
Sorry to hear it's been tough on that end. You guys have had a lot going on.

The Mother in Law passed away last night. It was peaceful and painless after a long hard battle with Cancer.

To top it off, I just got the phone call that my Great Aunt also passed away last night. We were pretty close as I spent some of my summers with her and my Great Uncle growing up.

Now I have to see if I can make both Funerals, but doubtful as they will be 400 miles apart. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that.   There's never any words that can make a person feel better in situations like these.  I'm glad your mother in law went peacefully.  Hopefully you can find comfort in remembering all the good times and knowing there is no more suffering.  One of the things that helps me with Cassies grandmothers passing and battle with cancer, is remembering her personality and  knowing what she would be saying if she was here to see everybody mourning her.  She would tell everybody "What can ya do?  Deal with it!"  Haha.    She told us that multiple times during in home hospice.  Funny woman she was.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:55 AM »
sorry to hear about your MIL & Grand Aunt.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2017, 11:42:12 PM »
I picked up a 3" MBRP cat-back from Craigslist for $100. Like new, the guy bought it, put it on and then pulled it off later the same week to trade in the truck. Haven't put it on yet because I'm pretty sure it will sound like crap. But I couldn't pass it up for the price for some reason... :uugly:

Other than that, I doubt much more will happen with the truck in the coming months. It will be due for a sold detail and I'll tie up some of the smaller projects that are more time than money. The Wife and I have decided to seriously look into getting a new house in a different city. So that means tightening the belt and fast-tracking some debt pay off.

We'll see what happens. :dunno:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
Windshield replaced on Wednesday. Very glad I fought for an OEM replacement.

It was pretty funny when I went back to the shop, a bunch of the guys were standing around the truck. I walked up and asked if there was a problem or something. One guy says "just trying to figure out all the things you changed on this truck". One dude saw most of them. They were impressed with the mods and hadn't seen a bunch of them before. I showed them what they missed (overhead switches, AAL, wheel well liners and back seat access) and one dude started taking notes on his phone for what he could do to his.  :redneck:

Unexpected and made my day.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:04 PM »
Well, we talked about making a move and decided that this summer would just be too soon. Which is great, because I found a set of GT turbos a guy was selling in Canada. Not really a mod I was looking at doing anytime soon, but at the price I paid I couldn't pass them up. Also ordered up a set of ported and ceramic coated manifolds to help with the exhaust flow.

Probably won't be installing them anytime soon. Maybe I'll be able to get them done in a couple of months or so. We'll just have to see.

Just waiting on the weather to warm up a bit so I can do some paint correction and get some of the truck protected with a coating.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
New turbos?  I like the sound of that.  Are those stock manifolds or aftermarket headers?  I'm not sure how that works with turbos.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
They are OEM manifolds that have been ported and ceramic coated inside and out. Nobody is making "Header style" Manifolds for OEm location turbo's yet. Full Race say they have somthing the works, but they area a long way out.

These are the same turbos that come on the new Raptor, they move much more air and should keep intake temps down. We'll see how well they actually work.

Should be fun.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2017, 03:38:45 PM »
Manifolds have showed up! Now I just have to finish up the parts list for nuts/bolts/gaskets and get them ordered.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal