General Category > General Discussion

Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150

<< < (2/294) > >>

Blown F-150:
Started another project today. I wanted to get 3M on the bottom of the door sills to help keep them from getting scuffed up. I already managed to scuff up the drivers side while biking last weekend.  :moody:

I picked up a roll of 4" standard 3M Scotchgard clear film. One roll is about enough to do two doors.

Since I scratched up the drivers side, I first polished out the scratches with a orange LCC 4" pad on the PC with M105 (yes 105, not 101). Then it was followed by M205 on a white LCC 4" to get the shine back into it. I wiped it down with iso and then got to work.

I trimmed the piece to fit and rounded off the corners for less chance of peel up. I used a soap solution and sprayed down the film and painted surfaces. Using a vinyl working tool, I worked from the center out after getting it in place and lined up.

It isn't that great of an application as I was unable to get all of the bubbles worked out. I will probably re-do once I get a technique down. I went out and bought the recommended soap and may wax the other side to help allow the solution to be worked out easier and reduce the chance of bubbles.

onto the proof!

Before

After the 105

A scratch that is just too deep

After 205

Trimmed edge

Edge of vinyl against the paint

The lighter colors you see in the pic are just reflections, it actually is very hard to see the edge in person. I had to feel for it to find it easily.

Onto the passenger side tomorrow!

gipraw:
Nice.  Where did you pick up the 3M stuff?

I think I am going to go with a hard cover, since the wife is now driving the truck.   Better security for her, and I can always pull it if I need to haul something. 

Blown F-150:

--- Quote from: gipraw on April 30, 2015, 12:39:49 PM ---Nice.  Where did you pick up the 3M stuff?

I think I am going to go with a hard cover, since the wife is now driving the truck.   Better security for her, and I can always pull it if I need to haul something.

--- End quote ---

I picked it up at a local auto parts store. They carry it in their paint shop dept. I get a bit of a price break, so it was cheaper than online. I'll get the 3m part number and post it up. Great stuff that is easy to work with. My cousin was told that a product called "Duraflex" was better, but I haven't looked into it at all.

Blown F-150:
I made some good progress on the Truck over the Weekend. It looks much better now in my opinion (and that's the one that matters...) :uugly:

The main goal was to get the paint all taken care of and protected.

I hit the coin wash to use the high pressure hose to rinse off whatever I could. Next up was a two-bucket with Meg's Gold class. I clayed with optimum clay and ONR @ QD ratio. Lots of fine brown stuff (like rail dust) came off the hood, roof and arches. Not so much came off the doors, bed sides, etc.

The FX4, EcoBoost and dealer decals were removed

There were a couple of spots that needed a bit of remediation. I hit them with M101 on a 4" White LCC pad.

The wheels had some grease marker and some sort of adhesive residue on them. I just used a cheap MF with M105 and it all came right off.

I hit the whole truck with a 6" green Super Buff pad with M205 on the Rupes Bigfoot. It was a light pass, just to ensure the paint was thoroughly cleaned prior to sealant. It also seemed to knock a bit more clarity into the paint overall, I could see a difference.

At the last minute, I decided to hit the F150 emblems with Flexi-Dip (Plastic-Dip's cheap Canadian Cousin). So I taped off, using generous amounts of paper and then hit them with 7-8 coats of the stuff. It seems to work just as well as Plasti-dip, so that's good.

LSP was Menzerna Power Lock. I prefer to apply by hand with a foam applicator. Easy on, easy off. Beautiful slick finish and the metal flake pops nicely in the sun. I did hit all the door jams, tailgate jams, hood jams, pretty much any painted surface.

Wheels were treated with Poor Boys Wheel Sealant.

All the window trim, bed caps, bumper trim was hit with Meguiar's Interior/Exterior Protectant. I really like how it dries and holds up to rain. The fender flares, running boards and mud flaps were hit with HD @ 4:1.

Some pics

I was so excited, that I had to bust out a brand new wash mitt

Clay after a 2 square Ft. chuck of the hood.

Tape job for the Flexi-Dip and product

Stuff on the wheels

Afters

Solid sun shot

I still plan on using Opti-Coat on the roof, but I'll leave the Power Lock there for now.

Next up is hopefully my custom FX4 and EcoBoost badges show up.

I think I will just spray the Wheel wells for now until I have budget for plastic liners. Bike rack and tonnaeu cover are priority.

If you guys have any suggestions for new-car prep, please let me know. I hope to tackle the underside with fluid film this weekend.

Too Stroked:
Nice looking truck - and it keeps looking better and better!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version