1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358339 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #345 on: October 12, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »
I have to concede when it wakes up the kid in the morning.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »
Crawled under the truck on Sunday and re-adjusted the DP's and then put the stock cat-back on it.

I won't be able to leave it on for long. Too quiet (pretty much stock even with the down-pipes) and I can tell it killed some power.

Maybe I can live with it through the winter and buy the Magnaflow cat-back I want.

Only things left on the truck I really want to do:
 - Cat back...again :redneck:
 - Fox 2.0's up front
 - Speaker upgrade
 - PTM fender flares (I have them, just got to get them painted)

I'll see how this Transmission thing plays out with Ford (noise from 3-4 and 4-3 shifts). I may just go ahead and order up a Circle-D torque converter to go in in while the transmission is out.

I'll be pulling some Datalogs for the tuner tomorrow on my drive to Seattle, looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Really happy with how the truck sits right now, one of my funnest and quickest builds to date.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
I think out of all of the vehicles I've had with exhausts, my favorite was my magnaflow cat back on Expedition.  Just the overall tone and driveability from a noise stand point.  Everything was spot on.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
I think out of all of the vehicles I've had with exhausts, my favorite was my magnaflow cat back on Expedition.  Just the overall tone and driveability from a noise stand point.  Everything was spot on.

I liked the Bassani on my 2001 2v 5.4L over the magnaflow on my 3v 5.4L.
Could be cheating, the Bassani was the kit for the lightning and I took out that crap factory Y pipe and turned it into a X pipe before going to the dual mufflers.  I got the parts from Chickenears.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #349 on: October 19, 2017, 12:31:35 AM »
I do love bassani, they make some very nice stuff. on several vehicles now, I have been very happy with magnaflow mufflers. Just something about the tone I like.

I think I'll go with this
https://www.amazon.ca/Magnaflow-12579-Stainless-Steel-Muffler/dp/B000XQM1M6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508390833&sr=8-1&keywords=magnaflow+12579

I'll have to talk with the local exhaust place and see what they would charge to cut it in and put in a resonator delete pipe. If I make it all 3", it should give me the performance I want and keep the volume down. Way cheap than ordering up another cat-back.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #350 on: October 19, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
I think I'll go with this
https://www.amazon.ca/Magnaflow-12579-Stainless-Steel-Muffler/dp/B000XQM1M6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508390833&sr=8-1&keywords=magnaflow+12579

I'll have to talk with the local exhaust place and see what they would charge to cut it in and put in a resonator delete pipe. If I make it all 3", it should give me the performance I want and keep the volume down. Way cheap than ordering up another cat-back.

Do you want the 18" muffler or the 24" muffler ?
- The dimensions on that are 24" overall, 18" of muffler.

If you are replacing the muffler you have and deleting the resonator, you might be back where you are at now.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #351 on: October 21, 2017, 12:39:27 AM »
I found a local that is on another forum. He is running the 18" muffler (24" overall) in the link above with the same down-pipes and no resonator.

We are trying to find some time to sync up so I can listen to it. I'm honestly in no rush as I have to set it all back to stock to get Ford to look at my transmission.

I thinking I'll be really getting back to having some fun early next year. So much going on with work and personal stuff, that the truck is getting tougher and tougher to spend time on. Just life, adulting sucks.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #352 on: October 21, 2017, 06:54:04 AM »
Set it all back to stock?  How much of it has to go back to stock? 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #353 on: October 22, 2017, 12:44:12 AM »
I'm honestly in no rush as I have to set it all back to stock to get Ford to look at my transmission.

Trans problem ?  Ouch that is going to suck pulling the items off that require a tune.

How much of that will work with the factory PCM load ?
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #354 on: October 22, 2017, 09:18:38 PM »
The truck would run 100% normal on the stock tune as it sits. The issue are the visuals like the intercooler.

Thankfully the turbo's look like stock and even have "FoMoCo" stamped on them. Nobody would know otherwise.

So I'll have to swap the intercooler, intake and down-pipes back to stock. pretty easy to do in a day.

I can talk around the manifolds if they ask as the are OEM, just ceramic coated.

It does suck, but if I can save $3-4k, I'll do it.

I'll just have to cycle the key like a 1000 times after I put the stock tune on it. The only thing they can see at the dealer level is the amount of key cycles which get's reset whenever you load up a tune.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #355 on: November 23, 2017, 12:50:53 AM »
Well, I had a pretty interesting conversation with a Ford drive-line tech. I went to the dealer to grab a oil filter and he happened to be at the parts counter. He saw my truck outside and wanted to check it out.

After some compliments and pointing out his identical truck (when mine was stock) in the parking lot, he asked if there was anything I didn't like about the truck. I told him about the 3-4 or 4-3 shift noise. He brought up the addictive right away and I let him know I already added it. He asked how much and I let him know I followed the instructions in the TSB (9-10ml). He found in his experience that it wasn't enough and he added the entire amount (16ml) as you would if you experienced tranny shudder. I thanked him and said I would bring the truck in for warranty if that didn't resolve it. He said he would make sure nothing was "flagged" as long I set the tune back to stock and took the DP's off. Nice guy. I thanked him and headed home.

So, I added the rest of the additive and after a cruise to work and back, I can't get it to make the noise anymore. So I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to mess with the tranny for a while. Not holding my breath as I haven't had a chance to do a run on the hwy yet, but here's hoping.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:49 PM »
Well, I had a pretty interesting conversation with a Ford drive-line tech. I went to the dealer to grab a oil filter and he happened to be at the parts counter. He saw my truck outside and wanted to check it out.

After some compliments and pointing out his identical truck (when mine was stock) in the parking lot, he asked if there was anything I didn't like about the truck. I told him about the 3-4 or 4-3 shift noise. He brought up the addictive right away and I let him know I already added it. He asked how much and I let him know I followed the instructions in the TSB (9-10ml). He found in his experience that it wasn't enough and he added the entire amount (16ml) as you would if you experienced tranny shudder. I thanked him and said I would bring the truck in for warranty if that didn't resolve it. He said he would make sure nothing was "flagged" as long I set the tune back to stock and took the DP's off. Nice guy. I thanked him and headed home.

So, I added the rest of the additive and after a cruise to work and back, I can't get it to make the noise anymore. So I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to mess with the tranny for a while. Not holding my breath as I haven't had a chance to do a run on the hwy yet, but here's hoping.
How's the truck running?

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »
I've been quite happy. No more noise!

I've put over 600miles on it since I put in more additive and have tried to re-create.

Fox coil-overs should be here by the end of next week, I'm really looking forward to putting them on and seeing if I can remove the rear sway bar. I found out about some logging roads up North that I want to explore and it will be better without the sway bar.

I've been working with a tuner a bit on tweaking a tune for the truck. He is charging pretty much nothing for the experience of tuning the bigger turbo's. He sure knows his stuff.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #358 on: December 26, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
Almost ready to wrap up this build, only a couple of items left that I really want to get done.

Tuning is going really well, this tuner knows what he is doing and how I like the truck to drive. Not thinking I will see more WOT power, but the drive-ability is where it's most important anyway. When I get back home I have another revision to test out. Hoping to get it wrapped up in one more revision if I can get him the logs and info he needs.

Fox coil overs arrived and they look great. I hope to get them on and a alignment sometime in January or maybe February depending on work travel.

Other than some smaller cosmetic stuff the only two real items left on the list are skid plates and cat-back exhaust that is "quiet".

I've reached out to RCI about a custom combo of skids and that should be it till spring time. Then I'm hoping to get the exhaust sorted out. I have a old sled riding buddy that owns an exhaust shop back in Winnipeg, he wants to make a system for me, but that means he has to have the truck and well, that's 1500 miles away lol.

We'll see how it goes on the exhaust, still tossing around the idea of getting the Full-race exhaust and then putting in a bigger muffler. It's friggen pricey though and I'm running out of budget for this truck!

Only real wish-list item is adding a winch, still not sure about this one. I think I need to do more actual off-road driving and camping to make use of it, otherwise it's just adding weight to the truck. it would look cool though,  :uugly:

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: December 26, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »
I believe this truck will be wrapped up when it's sold and not a moment sooner.  Haha.

* Recent Photos

DSC_0006.JPG

Views: 4
By: attworth

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal