March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150  (Read 358420 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Slowly breaking everything - 2014 F-150
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2016, 06:35:43 AM »
I picked up a set of painted OEM fender flares today for $50! Pretty happy even though they are black, they were mint and taken off the truck before it even left the dealership. For that price, it won't break the bank to have them painted in Blue Flame.

I'm not sure about up there, but here, the price of paint and painting will scare you. The new water based paints they have to use are stupid expensive. You'll probably be able to save some money by doing the prep work (scuff & wet sanding) yourself though. Good luck!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised. First guy quoted $500, but I found a guy that will do it on the side for half that. Part of the deal will be me doing the wet-sanding, but he will prime, paint and clear. I asked if he would go "Heavy" on the clear and he said he will do a couple extra coats. I doubt it will happen until after the holidays as I need to ensure i have some X-mas $$$.

Seemed like a pretty nice guy who was also into F-150's, so we were able to chat about a few things that may end up costing me more money... :dope:
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »
Well it's time to prep the truck for the road trip. I will be going from Vancouver to Calgary to North-Western Ontario and back. It will be roughly a 3400mile round trip.

The problem I may run into is that it is still below freezing here. It will make for a tough time getting the truck properly coated. I am trying to see if I can get into a friend of a friend's shop to do it.

I know there are a few "experienced" folks here, so I'm open to any input on something I may be missing.

- I plan on coating the whole truck with Opti-Coat and C.A.R Bullet Proof. Some areas will get one, and some the other.
 - Aeroskin bug deflector. (every time I cross the mtn's in the winter the front of the hood gets chipped)
 - Adding cable to be able to drop the rear seat and store behind it.
 - Fluid film and Krown application to all door bottoms, underneath and suspension components
 - Windshield washer fluid swapped for low-temp fluid.
 - New Ridge Grappler tires, going on Monday
 - Flashlight, compressor, tire plugs, tool kit, tow strap, clevis hitch, Regular hitch, boots, sleeping bag, glove, propane heater, tire chains to be stowed behind the back seat. Shovel in the box.
 - Small flashlight, knives, multi-tool, etc. in center console.

I will have proper winter apparel by default.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2016, 02:33:51 AM »
Unless you can leave the truck in that shop for 24 to 36 hrs at 60* or better, I would not bother with putting paint coating on it.  OptiCoat ( gloss ) it still workable for 24 hrs after application as it has not fully cured.

You might as well go with a sealant like Powerlock or a Wipe on Walk away sealant like Opti-Seal

2 coats of Menz PL should do the job for 90%+ of that trip.

My 2006 was PL on the hood and sides and would get another coat in the middle of winter and that did the job for me.  I could tell when the salt spray had taken it's toll on the sides.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »
I'm about to embark on a similar length trip. (Round trip to Colorado.) I'm going to take it to the marina's heated bay and apply a coat of CAR Bullet Proof if I get enough time. If I'm pressed for time, it'll get a coat of Menzerna Power Lock and the BP when I get back. So I guess I'm agreeing with Steve here.

Drive safe!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! I've been doing some reading and have come to the same conclusion.

It's meant to hit +7c (45f) here tomorrow, so the plan will be to wash it up and park it in the garage tomorrow night with a space heater. Leave it in the garage all day on Tuesday with heat and then knock out the PowerLock Tuesday night. Leave the heat on and say it's good enough by Wednesday morning.

Any input on maybe doing Chemical Guys V04 and them PL? I would get a bit of extra "paint cleaning" out of the V04 and it leaves some sealant behind. Then top it with the PL.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2016, 11:23:28 PM »
I would not use an AIO then PL myself, if I am looking for surface adhesion.

I have always gone with PB ProPolish then PL after polishing the surface.

It is just the way I think after doing so many Opti-Coat / Opti-Gloss applications. 
The surface needs to be clean of anything before applying Opti-Coat to the point of an IPA wipe down.

Dumb question time for me, is there a reason you are going after a polish at this point ? 
I would think waiting until after you get back ( and after winter ) before doing a polish on the paint.

I would be thinking wash, maybe a clay towel wipe down and then PL and call it good.
- You are going to get enough defects on the road and tunnel washing it while on the trip that it will need it later.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2016, 11:50:38 PM »
That's a really good point. I really don't need correction at this point and will hit it with
Iron remover and a clay mitt prior to LSP. I'm guessing this trip will be hard on the sealant and I'll re-do it sometime before a proper spring correction and coating anyway.

Based on the forecast, I am 100% sure the truck will see a wand wash once I hit Winnipeg. I have a good friend that runs one and can use his buckets and wash mitts instead of a brush. I'll take some ONR with me just in case.

It may be just habit, but I like the idea of doing a mild polish prior to sealant. I figured the the AIO would help me cheat a bit, lol.

In the end, I think you're right and who knows if they will play well together anyway. Best bet is to stick to the basics and get it knocked out. We know PL holds up pretty well and I don't have a chance in **LL of getting a coating cured in time.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2016, 07:32:41 PM »
You are correct, when every you touch the paint you run the chance of creating marring and more so when doing a clay ( clay substitute ) that requires at least a touch up polish.

I cannot say one way or the other if an AIO would reduce the surface adhesion; I just don't chance it.
- This is more drummed into my methods from Opticoat usage over the years.

In the winter I do go off script and skip the polishing for 99.9% of the time.
- I have gotten a wild hair in my ass and done a correction and PL on the Mrs' G6 in a snow storm waiting on it to let up to snow blow the drive.

Iron remover and clay mitt you should have a clean enough surface for PL for what you have going on for that duration.

I have the same issue in the Winter in Chicago; I really worry about protection not paint condition.
- I tunnel wash the truck at least 2x / month to make sure the bottom is completely cleaned off of salt.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »
Made some headway yesterday.

- 285/70/17 Ridge Grapplers installed. already tested on dry roads, wet roads and snow. Very impressed with this tire. I cannot believe how quiet they are!
- Interior cleaned up
- modified the back seat latch so I can easily drop it to access behind it.
- Fit a few things behind the seat
- Recovery Strap
- 75ft of climbing rope
- Air Compressor
- Booster pack
- Seat Cover
- Yoga Matt (nice to lay on if you need to do something in the snow)
- Roll of shop towels
- Clevis Hitch
- Mechanics and Nitril gloves
- Underside and doors hit with Fluid Film and Krown rust inhibitor
- Installed the Aeroskin bug deflector

Tonight will be a mad scramble to get PL applied and some last minute checks done.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2016, 01:40:32 AM »
Well Steve, all that typing for nothing!

Mother in-law has taken a turn for the worse. She's been battling Cancer for a year and has been hospitalized. The family has requested that my BIL and I get there ASAP (safely). Tonight was a mad scramble to get some stuff sorted out, truck packed up and the usual road trip checks (fluids, tire pressure, etc.)

I'm going to try and get some sleep and then hit the road as soon as I wake up. Picking up the Brother in-law in Calgary and then straight through to home.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
Crap, I hope it turns out as best as it can.

Best wishes to you and the family
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
Ryan, best wishes.  My thoughts are with you and your family.  Travel safe!
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2016, 10:59:33 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Made it to Calgary. I was held up for almost two hours while crews recovered Semi Trucks.

Truck got a rinse at the wand wash

Some random pics

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2016, 10:53:14 AM »
Your truck looked a hell of a lot worse than mine did after 1,900 miles to Colorado. But I didn't run into any snow. And of course I didn't get any pics.

Good thing they weren't winching your truck up that slope! Looks like a scene from "Highway Through Hell" on the Weather Channel!

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal