1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 7459 times)

Offline LsuSuperCrew

• Café Member
What is this?
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »
Hey guys, I've been gone awhile and quite frankly have been slacking on my truck up keep. Anyway I decide today to start cleaning. While I was doing my QD wipe down after washing I started noticing film or something on the surface of the paint. If I wipe hard it goes away, kind of like a wax build up. I'm ashamed to admit this, it's been well over a year since I've waxed my truck. Anyone have an idea of what it can be?

You can see the circle area I've wiped clean and whatever it is surrounding the circle.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 12:21:17 AM »
Hey man, 

Welcome back.   To me, and I could be wrong, that is LSP break down.   No big deal.

If it is a wax and its over 3-6 months old,  the area you are seeing is maybe where you applied more vs less and it is not as protected. 

Since you said it was over a year, you are seeing is break down in wax. 

Time for a quick light polish and re wax.    Or a simple clay and re wax pending you don't need any light correction.

RR

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:23:31 AM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:15:32 AM »
I'm surprised there's anything left on the paint after a year.  I wonder if your QD didn't go bad.  Everything has a shelf life.  Some of them contain wax or fillers, mild cleaning agents.  It definitely looks like a film.  Almost like a thin oil.  Try using the QD on another vehicle.  Maybe even the glass or something.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:11:50 AM »
What was the wash process, and what condition were the "tools" in ?

I am thinking maybe something on the mitt or in the bucket.
- This is not knowing how long it had been since you used it last or where it was stored and what might have happened around where it was stored.

Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
I'll offer another opinion. Were you applying the QD in direct sunlight? Some QD's don't like that and kind of get baked on. If I use a QD, I always apply it to a cool surface and in the shade.

I'd also be real careful about wiping the surface with any kind of force to "remove" whatever it is. You'll run the risk of marring the surface and opening a whole new can of worms.

BTW, I'd kill for weather warm enough to actually use a QD.   :moody:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 07:07:37 PM »
On the flip side, the panels being too cold could also cause this.  It almost looks like it's from the humidity.  I don't know where your from but judging by the grass being green, its definitely warmer and more southern than here. 

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »
I don't know where your from but judging by the grass being green, its definitely warmer and more southern than here. 

Tapatalkin...

"LSUSuperCrew"   Louisiana. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »
I don't know where your from but judging by the grass being green, its definitely warmer and more southern than here. 

Tapatalkin...

I made that connection but learned long ago not to make assumptions. 

Tapatalkin...

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 10:28:03 PM »

I know a guy that has LSU tagging all over his FX4.

He lives in the valley in CA.
Steve

Offline LsuSuperCrew

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:41:44 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

The wash was at a local car wash, they run it through a wash tunnel, then dry and wipe down the interior and exterior. I know not the best thing to do, but it was nasty and I didn't feel like starting from scratch. I started noticing this when I got back home and was wiping it down/ going over areas they missed.

On the hood it's kind of blotchy. Down the sides it's really weird. It looks like where there was mud sprayed there isn't any of this, basically like ghost flames. It's not real obvious, you have to look real hard to see it.

It's definitely not oily, when I rub an area with my finger it doesn't smear or anything. I think RR was on track when he said it's some type of product breakdown. 

I thought about it being my QD, I'm using MG 135 and thought it might have broke down. But the circle I cleaned on the hood was using that product. I sprayed a little bit, wiped down that area more aggressively, like removing a wax and it came clean.

It was late afternoon when I was wiping it down. It was in sunlight but the sun was down behind the treeline and the truck was in the shadows. The panels were warm but far from hot, I could leave my hand on them as long as I wanted.

Humidity was fairly low for around here, south Louisiana. We had a cool front that had blown through and brought winds out of the north and lower humidity.

I was planning on clay bar and wax Easter afternoon, but the weather didn't cooperate. I think that should take care of it. I'm just relieved that it's some type of product build up or breakdown and that I can get it off. When I first started noticing it I was worried it was something with the clear coat.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
I wonder if the car wash uses any kind of spray wax or gloss enhancers? Some do.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 07:41:35 PM »
Most do.  Most also don't clean anything.  I like to go through though for the under carriage spray. 

Tapatalkin...

Offline LsuSuperCrew

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
They might have, I do believe the next level up had a wax/sealant of some sort. Not to sure about the one I got. Honestly I think whatever it was didn't come from the car wash.

I had some time this afternoon. I wiped the whole truck down first, then I clay barred the hood. I had two waxes to choose from, Meguiars 26 and Natty's red. I had some Meg 21 also, but it wasn't looking too hot. I did a test area with the Natty's first, waited for it to dry and wiped off. The spots were still there. Kind of what I was expecting as the natty's is mostly just a topper wax. I next did a test area with the #26, waited for it to dry and wiped off. It removed all the spots. Now that I knew that was going to work I just had to replicate it on the rest of the truck.

Here's what the clay looked like after half of the hood was done.

Luckily the hood was by far the worst part. The sides weren't too bad, the tailgate was just behind the hood as far as how much it dirtied up the clay. I'm going to try and get pics of the hood tomorrow as the sun was down by the time I finished tonight.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal