March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Welp. Can't buff this one out.  (Read 5643 times)

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Welp. Can't buff this one out.
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
Wife had a wreck last week.  The Expedition is toast.  All air bags deployed and there is significant damage to the left side of the frame. 

Amazing how well these tings are built.  She got t-boned.  Other vehicle was going 45 or so .  2003 Buick Lesabre.   Everyone involved is fine. 

================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Welp. Can't buff this one out.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »
First of all, I'm glad everyone is OK. The vehicle and its safety systems seem to have worked perfectly.

Second, it's amazing that's it's totaled. It really doesn't look that bad. But as you said, it's got significant frame damage. Broadside hits will do that to a vehicle.

Offline Merlin

• Café Member
    • Quicksilver Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »

Seriously, glad no one was hurt.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »
I suppose I should share a picture of my little incident. A co-worker was backing his 2003 Chevy pickup (with a cap on the box) into a spot next to my 2014 Tacoma whilst talking on the phone. (I was about 50 feet away walking into the shop.) He apparently backed into my driver side rear door with his bumper, but thought he was just stuck in the snow. So he put it into 4 hi and stepped on the gas. His bumper then released from my back door and slammed into the quarter panel. Sorry for the crap picture but it's still snowing outside and that's the best I could do in my garage last night.

No, this won't buff out either.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
First of all, I'm glad everyone is OK. The vehicle and its safety systems seem to have worked perfectly.

Second, it's amazing that's it's totaled. It really doesn't look that bad. But as you said, it's got significant frame damage. Broadside hits will do that to a vehicle.

A little over $10k  just to replace all the parts involved with the airbag deployments.   Power running board is another $2.5k .. so you are at $13k before you start repairing sheet metal or including any labor, plus it would be a complete repaint since it is Shadow Grey Metallic. 

Left frame rail is in about 8"  floor is buckled,  And B pillars are toast.    there is about an 8" gap at the top of the Driver's door between the door and the roof.   

The impact lifted the truck in the air. 
================

Doug

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 01:16:21 PM »
I suppose I should share a picture of my little incident. A co-worker was backing his 2003 Chevy pickup (with a cap on the box) into a spot next to my 2014 Tacoma whilst talking on the phone. (I was about 50 feet away walking into the shop.) He apparently backed into my driver side rear door with his bumper, but thought he was just stuck in the snow. So he put it into 4 hi and stepped on the gas. His bumper then released from my back door and slammed into the quarter panel. Sorry for the crap picture but it's still snowing outside and that's the best I could do in my garage last night.

That would tick me off.  What did the co-worker say ?
================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 03:14:26 PM »

That would tick me off.  What did the co-worker say ?

Yea, it ticked me off too. But he's absolutely beside himself right now - and he's a really good guy. As ticked off as I am, I find it very hard to be mad at him. I guess since nobody got hurt, it could have been a lot worse. Oh well ...

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 03:36:06 PM »
holy shit......
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »

The impact lifted the truck in the air.

Wow. So glad it didn't flip. Glad to hear everybody was ok. I've only been in one t-bone type incident, and it was probably the scariest couple seconds of my life.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 06:41:41 PM »
Wow.  This thread is all kinds of messed up.

Gip, what was the cause of the accident?  I'm glad everyone is alright. 

Tom, man that would really grind my gears.  Not the initial impact but what followed after.  I'd love to know his reaction when he finally realized what he had done.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
Wow.  This thread is all kinds of messed up.

Gip, what was the cause of the accident?  I'm glad everyone is alright. 

Tom, man that would really grind my gears.  Not the initial impact but what followed after.  I'd love to know his reaction when he finally realized what he had done.

Tapatalkin...

His initial reaction when he got out of his truck, walked around to the passenger (blind) side, and looked was not printable here.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0028.JPG

Views: 5
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal