Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: 2011 F-150 Interior Detail  (Read 12159 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: 2011 F-150 Interior Detail
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »
Looks good! So how do you like the Power Lock? It's one of my favorite products right now.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »
Looks good! So how do you like the Power Lock? It's one of my favorite products right now.

I really like it. It is probably one of the easiest on and off LSP's I've used. I have always preferred to apply by hand, but this stuff goes on really well with the DA and I find it's faster.

Very slick and great beading. I'll see how it is after a wash or two. It lasted well on the Edge.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »
Turned out nice.  Looks like the dealer's detail guys like doing interiors as much as any of here do.

The outside was not too bad, but to call that interior front line ready was a joke.  I have seen daily drivers that are cleaner than that.

M101 & a white pad seems a little aggressive for headlamps, were they that bad ?
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »
Turned out nice.  Looks like the dealer's detail guys like doing interiors as much as any of here do.

The outside was not too bad, but to call that interior front line ready was a joke.  I have seen daily drivers that are cleaner than that.

M101 & a white pad seems a little aggressive for headlamps, were they that bad ?

Steve,

It may sound aggressive, but I actually usually start with an Orange LC pad and the M101 on headlights. Then I step down to White with M101, then White with Plast-X.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »

The taillights had substantial marring, the headlights are peppered from sand/grit so I wasn't expecting to get all that out. the taillights look like new now. 
I always used M105 and a white pad previously on clear plastics with great results. For whatever reason, doing the final pass with high speed (6 on the Rupes) and very light pressure yields great clarity. I just had M101 out from doing the paint, so i used it instead. Seemed to work just as well in this case. If I feel that I did more than a quick pass or two, I follow up with Plastic-X or Opti-coat.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 04:12:42 PM »
I would not doubt it had great results in very short order.

Were you not concerned about how much of the UV coating was compounded off going at it with M101.
- I would think polish instead of compound if it was needed.

Compounding or polishing headlamps gets into the "what is it going to be like in 5 years" area.

I have a few pits, from rocks, on my headlamps but they are clear as the day I bought the truck with 115+K miles at 9 years ( this month ).  I also do not polish them.  The most aggressive they have even seen is Plexus plastic cleaner.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »
Steve,

You bring up a very valid point - as usual - with the possible removal of some or all of the UV resistant coating. Most of the headlights I end up polishing are pretty well gone. To bring them back, I generally have no option but to remove a pretty decent amount of plastic. Does this remove the UV coating? Yes, but it was probably pretty well shot to begin with. And if you look at the cost of re-buffing the headlights more often for the rest of their lives, it's still far cheaper than replacing the headlight housings.

BTW: Have you seen the cost of OEM replacements on some of these housings? My ex forked over something like $1,200 for one headlight on her Avalon when she wrecked it. I can do a lot of buffing for that kind of money.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »
Correct, if they are cloudy / shot like my sisters, then going all in; is the only option.
- Her Honda at 13 years old with 140K+ miles and they are screwed.

Honda & Toy are not shy about prices.

I might have paid 50% of that price, for the set of HD headlamps for my '06 from Tasca, and they came with bulbs installed already.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »
I would not doubt it had great results in very short order.

Were you not concerned about how much of the UV coating was compounded off going at it with M101.
- I would think polish instead of compound if it was needed.

Compounding or polishing headlamps gets into the "what is it going to be like in 5 years" area.

I have a few pits, from rocks, on my headlamps but they are clear as the day I bought the truck with 115+K miles at 9 years ( this month ).  I also do not polish them.  The most aggressive they have even seen is Plexus plastic cleaner.

yes, I agree that there is a high probability that some if not all the UV coating is removed in this process. I do attempt to spend as little time as possible to achieve the results desired. I really don't know how thick that coating may be  :dunno: I'll try to dig up the source, but I heard some time ago that ford went to a UV protection that was part of the plastic make-up.

This may over simplify it, but to me, regardless of product used, if you only use it enough to get rid of the defect, you should be removing the same amount of paint *(or plastic in this case).

My personal process is to apply my LSP on all lenses too. This may lead to my assumption that what I am doing isn't causing too much harm or doing enough to remove the UV coating. The only vehicle I have to draw from for the long-term, (as you guys can see, I don't really hold onto vehicles very long :redneck:), is my Dad's 2005 Magnum. We hit it with the "Meg's headlight restoration" kit in 2009/2010 (can't remember which summer). They are now dull and yellowed again. In this case, it was heavy oxidation removal though, nothing like the "Quick Buff" on this F-150. The Magnum also sees Dawn bucket washes (please don't ask) and sits out in the sun all day, everyday and also happens to always be pointing nose south... :dope:

So in short, I think more research in this area should be done. I would be very curious to find other long-term examples to see the results (obviously, there are a lot of variables here).

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »
I have yet to do some research on the lenses, but on a side note I bought the F150 off of my Uncle.

I figured it was going to happen and more than fine it worked out this way. I spent some more time cleaning it up on the weekend and posted it up on Craigslist. I also imported it into the province and transferred it under my name. My PSD is out at my Dad's and he is making some use of it. The idea is to get at least one of them sold (maybe both) and then go from there.

Here are a couple pics of it after the clean up.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
You know, I never really cared for silver in the past. Now that I have a silver vehicle, I see exactly what people like about it and am really starting to like it. And that truck looks awesome!

Somehow I don't think you're going to have any trouble at all selling that truck.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 08:09:50 AM »
Sharp looking truck.  Good luck with the sale.  What do you have in mind as a replacement if you sell both trucks?

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
Thanks Guys, It's really only the mileage that makes it a tough sale. 140,000miles on the clock, all highway.

If both are sold, I think it's time to pull the trigger on something brand new or close to it (dealer demo, 1 year lease, etc.) Right now the 2015 F-150 has the lead, but the new GM's are in the hunt. But can't really plan diddly till they both sell or I decide to get bent over on trading one in.

For the time being, I'll just be doing some window shopping, teasing myself. :crazy:

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 8
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal