April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: RV - 3/4 or 1-ton?  (Read 8556 times)

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
RV - 3/4 or 1-ton?
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
Hey guys. My wife and I are looking at getting a 5er in the next few years. Obviously the model we want might change, but the one we're currently in love with has a pin weight of 1890 lbs.

I'm not concerned with payload with that weight, because most of the extras we bring along will be in the camper. What I am concerned with is GVWR. Looking at a new F250, 4x4, CC, SWB, they claim about 7500 lbs curb weight. After factoring in a hitch, wife, and 2 kiddos, I think our pin weight is going to bust the 10k GVWR.

Am I missing something or should I just look at getting a 1 ton truck? I'd probably get a SRW, which is available with up 11.5k GVWR. Don't really want a dually because this truck will be my daily driver until wifey gets a new ride.

Edit: I've also considered a 2wd truck because they look to be about 5 - 600 lbs lighter, but I worry about limiting our winter excursions. Not sure we'd even trek through snow with a 5er. Any experience here? Currently stationed in Kansas which doesn't necessarily require 4wd, but it is nice. And we may end up somewhere like upstate NY or the like at some point.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:32:01 AM by attworth »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: RV - 3/4 or 1-ton?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
Let's try this again since I somehow failed to post my last comment.

I can only comment on 2wd vs 4wd.  I have little experience outside of that, especially with 5ers.  However, the added piece of mind you get with 4wd would be well worth it in my opinion.  You never know where you may end up, loaded or unloaded, with the truck.  I've gone in to state parks with my truck and am glad I had 4wd.  If upstate NY, or any part of NY, is a possibility, save yourself the grief and stress and go 4wd.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 01:07:09 PM »
Let's try this again since I somehow failed to post my last comment.

I can only comment on 2wd vs 4wd.  I have little experience outside of that, especially with 5ers.  However, the added piece of mind you get with 4wd would be well worth it in my opinion.  You never know where you may end up, loaded or unloaded, with the truck.  I've gone in to state parks with my truck and am glad I had 4wd.  If upstate NY, or any part of NY, is a possibility, save yourself the grief and stress and go 4wd.

Tapatalkin...

Kind of my thoughts as well. I could be in El Paso or I could be in NY, or somewhere else in New England.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »
Tony, you need to look at the GCVWR (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating) to make your decision.

Theses are out the manual for my 06 and cover both the F250/F350 SWR trucks.

5.4L 3.73 axle ratio Auto 16,000LB
5.4L 4.10 axle ratio Auto 18,000LB

6.8L 4.10 axle ratio Auto 21,000LB
6.8L 4.30 axle ratio Auto 22,500LB

6.0L Diesel 3.73 rear axle ratio Auto 23,000lb
Good enough never is

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
I'm good on the GCVWR with both trucks. The only thing I'm worried about is GVWR. I know the truck can handle the weight, I'd just hate to get into legal trouble or break something by exceeding the GVWR. Most of the campers I like have a stupid heavy pin weight which is what got me questioning if the 250 is enough.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
I think the relatively small upcharge for a one ton would be money well spent. I'd rather be over capacity than under any day of the week.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
Tony

I am gonna give you my .02 on this b.c I have had a half ton and a 3.4 tone to tow with.

First was a 5.4L Troyer tuned, AF1 all fixed up to tow and go fast beast.  We had a small 27Bh with no slides.  Weighed 6200 lbs dry.   With gear maybe 7200lbs. 

the half ton then and now could pull it with ease.   But you have to have realistic expectations.   You are not going anywhere fast.   Not that I speed when towing but saying in a half ton, you won't be able to get to the speed limit at times.  Its not the weight...its the 27ft box you are pulling.   In our 5.4, we got maybe 5-6 mpg.  And with a small tank, only about 200 miles and have to refill the tank.   

Now on our 2nd 5er, much heaiver, 9800 dry and at last weight in 11,300 (that was before we shed around 500lbs of crap we didn't need)

The PSD is a little dated, she doesn't pull like a modern diesel but there is no way I would ever go back to a half ton even for pulling a 27ft camper.   The power, torque and MPG's are just too good to pass up in a Diesel.   The BEST MGP I ever got was pulling from San Antonio to Keller Texas...by car, its 5.25 hours.   We pulled our 5er at 70mph and averaged 14.5 mpg...with a 20mph tail wind.  Normal for us is around 12.5 mpg and we can pull 340-350 miles before each fill up.   

Lesson we learned, never put the tail in front of the dog.    Do it once, do it right. 

As for a 3/4 vs 1 ton...I think that depends on the brand.  All it is a spring difference on the truck.   We have air bags, but our sticker still says 3/4 ton...even though I can tow more.  Dully's are more stable but I don't need one that I cannot park in my garage. 

Either one is fine...if I had to buy a 1 ton, I would prob opt for the Dodge b/c really it is only 1 spring more in the rear and the overloads are different.   Other than that, no difference in truck but the sticker is 1 ton

A diesel affords you so much more in options of a camper...you can grow in to your truck...trust me, if you buy a camper, it won't be your last...you will find 20 things you don't like about it and keep it then one day you will have enough and need something else...you will find one you like and upgrade to it.

For us, we are wanting to go the other direction, I want a smaller camper.   I want a lighter camper again.   

So anywho, that is my .02 on it...spend it wisely.   (not my line)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:06:51 PM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:03:03 PM »
Pin weight of 1890 lbs puts you in a 1 ton. My 2008 F250 had a 1900lb payload and wasn't a highly optioned truck.

Also keep in mind the insurance and registration costs of a 1 ton will be higher. How much depends on the state.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 11:07:49 PM »
Can I ask the dumb question ??

If you are looking at buying the camper and buying a F250/F350 to pull it, is there a reason you are not looking at getting a RV ?

Seems like you are spending a pile of cash on a truck and camper, and could go with a ~28' RV with slides and be able to pull the car or jeep on a tow trailer with it.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 11:16:48 PM »
He said the truck would be his daily driver.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »
He said the truck would be his daily driver.

Tapatalkin...

He nailed it. I've been driving crappy cash cars for about 6 years now. Time for me to get something new(ish). I want a truck and then the RV started becoming more of a reality than a pipe dream for us. If we were retired or had more disposable income, I'd definitely opt for a motorhome.

I appreciate all the comments guys. I'm leaning more towards a 1-ton. We may end up going with a lighter camper, but like JP said, we may eventually outgrow it or just want something different.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 12:30:26 AM »
Can I ask the dumb question ??

If you are looking at buying the camper and buying a F250/F350 to pull it, is there a reason you are not looking at getting a RV ?

Seems like you are spending a pile of cash on a truck and camper, and could go with a ~28' RV with slides and be able to pull the car or jeep on a tow trailer with it.

Steve, you won't find many pushers remotely in the price range of a 3/4 ton and a nice camper.   Our first camper was $12,500 and it was brand new...we sold it one year later for $12,400.00    Our first 5er was only 24K, we traded it and got 20k on the trade.(a tad upside down even with cash)   A diesel pusher will put you in the 34ft range to start and be pretty old to be at the same price point.  Cost is around 100-125K.  We would never pull a toad behind a gas Class A or even a C or Super C.  (at lease we wouldn't if we were full timing it)   

Most campers are built within legal weights on every aspect.   Meaning down to the axle's shackles, frame, pin box, wheels, tires.   Take our first 5er for example.   The axles were only rated a few hundred pounds each over of the weight of the dry camper...then add the wheels same and tires same.   My point to this, is that lower end Class A's and Class C's cannot even tow a toad due to weight if not a diesel pusher and having a pusher adds at a min 20K to the price and that doesn't include a different chassis as most pushers require something different.   

The good news for Tony and Sam, if they wanted to get a pusher they can finance it like a home and right off all the interest....in fact you can do that with most RV's and Campers.   If it has a head and kitchen, it's a second home.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 01:27:27 AM »

Steve, you won't find many pushers remotely in the price range of a 3/4 ton and a nice camper.   Our first camper was $12,500 and it was brand new...we sold it one year later for $12,400.00    Our first 5er was only 24K, we traded it and got 20k on the trade.(a tad upside down even with cash)   A diesel pusher will put you in the 34ft range to start and be pretty old to be at the same price point.  Cost is around 100-125K.  We would never pull a toad behind a gas Class A or even a C or Super C.  (at lease we wouldn't if we were full timing it)   ...<snip>...

Mom & dad had previously pulled the 2003 Chrysler  Mini van behind their Itasca Class A or the tandem wellscargo trailer with the motorcycles.  Now they have the CRV.

This is a 38' Itasca Suncruiser with the Ford V10 and 4R100 trans.  When I ordered it new, it was ~ $110K out the door, and I went nuts with extras.  The only thing I did not order was the larger generator, as they do not dry camp.

They are leaving next week and will be gone for the next 90 - 100 days to miss the remainder of the winter, at least what should be winter, not the 48* we are currently having.

Same MY used, with less miles than mom & dad's, is ~$ 50K for a similar floor plan & 77K miles on it.

Seems to work just fine for them for the past 13 years.  It has been north and south going to the grand canyon, one trip going one way and coming back the other.  To the blue ridge pwky with it.  This winter is TX, on to NM & AZ then double back around to FL, before heading home late MAR / early APR.
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 01:29:23 AM »
He nailed it. I've been driving crappy cash cars for about 6 years now. Time for me to get something new(ish). I want a truck and then the RV started becoming more of a reality than a pipe dream for us. If we were retired or had more disposable income, I'd definitely opt for a motorhome.

I appreciate all the comments guys. I'm leaning more towards a 1-ton. We may end up going with a lighter camper, but like JP said, we may eventually outgrow it or just want something different.

Sorry I missed the part where you are going to use the 1 ton as a DD.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
Having a 1 ton (well, we will see for how much longer), I wish I could offer more info.

The only things I can think of to keep in mind have already been mentioned, GVWR and additional costs of having a 1 ton. I'm not sure how picky they are there, but up here it is a commercial vehicle no matter how you slice it. So higher insurance costs, regular inspections and and higher toll fees on every highway or bridge I pass.

One of my buddy's has a '06 250 and there is so little different, that it's not even funny. I am pretty sure it's just the overloads and a extra leaf on the rear. Ride is very much the same and maybe it's on account of my tune or how I drove, but I get better MPG's than him.

I didn't need a 350 by any means, but it was easier to find than a comparable 250. Other than the warm-ups and cool downs, I have no issue using mine as a DD at all. Just don't go with a dually for a DD, they are a pain to park!

Good luck!
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

* Recent Photos

IMG_7539.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal