April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Rear Fender Liners  (Read 5871 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Rear Fender Liners
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
I hate the unfinished look new trucks come with.  For the cost of a truck, you think they could just throw the rest fender liners in.  Charge a couple bucks more if necessary.  So I picked up some Rugged Liner fender liners for my truck.  I've seen a lot of people say you dont have gave to remove the wheels but you should.  Forget that nonsense.  I was going to jack the truck up to let the axle hang but forget that too.  This takes literally less than 5 minutes per liner... unless you clean the wheel well first, which I did.  Walmart did not have any Tarminator and there are no OReillys near me.  Auto zone and advanced auto also did not have any although they said have a turtle wax version that smelled very chemically strong like tarminator but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.  I finally found some at an AA Auto Store, where I find everything I ever need. 

Step one was clean with Megs APC+ (4:1, I never use anything else).  I used an old was mitt to agitate.  Rinse.

I then soaked the wheel wells in Tarminator while I removed the mud flaps.  I didn't known if they'd be in the way and it gave me a chance to clean better.  After I finished removing the flaps I agitated the wheel wells with the old wash mitt again and rinsed.

You can see some spots left.  Its not perfect but will suffice and makes me feel better knowing all that crap isn't back there.  So I grabbed a liner and popped it in.  Easy as can be.  A little force to clear the lip and its in.  It fits tight too.  Very tight.  It comes with 3 push pins and 4 screws per liner.  The push pin holes already exist.  They were a bear to push in but I got them using a hammer.  I chose jot to drill any Hokes because of how tight they fit.  I can always drill the holes later and add the screws.  The liners really clean up the look.  I will get a picture later of the whole truck.  I might even wash it.  For now, the liner...

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Rear Fender Liners
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
Where did you find the liners? I would be throwing those in a new truck (if I buy one) for sure! Nice clean look.

My buddy has an '06 Mark LT that has the "Tri-Coat" white. He had Line-X match the color for the box liner and the wheel wells. It looks much cleaner, but he says it's tough to keep clean. This may be a good solution for him. Oh, he would fit well into this group, last time I was at his place, I had to take my shoes off to load boxes in the box of his truck! :redneck:
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
I got mine from Amazon.  I'm sure there are other vendors.  They cost me $90 I think for the pair.  Keeping the white clean was a big factor.  It also looked unfinished.  And i figure rocks are going to continue to beat the snot out of the paint and leave bare metal exposed.  Only downside really may be that dirt and crap will be harder to clean out of the fender lip when it does get in there.

Tapatalkin...
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
Looks really sweet Mike! If I still was driving a Ford, I'd put a set in.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
That looks really good man....well done, I hate that Chevy doesn't do this.

On the flip side, I happen to drive a new 14 Dodge 2500 Longhorn the other day...gotta say, it was very impressed. 
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:30:08 AM »
Ford doesn't do it either.  I know someone who bought a brand new eco boost.  I think it was a 13 model when he got it.  The first thing he did was get fender liners.

I don't know about Dodge.  I have yet to be impressed with their trucks.  We have a new 4500 on order to replace our 07 2500.  I don't want either.  We will have two 4500 in our little fleet. 

Tapatalkin...

Offline Robby32

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:42:09 AM »
My 2011 GMC (K1500) came with fender liners front and back (dealer installed) but included on the original invoice.

If I would have ordered the the truck I would not have ordered them(it was on the lot). But now that they are there - love 'em. Very easy to clean - a lot easier than just the original fender well.

They must have a GM part number - Called it a protection kit which also included protectors for the bed rails.

:Old Dogg™:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:43:58 AM by Robby32 »

Offline Pockets

• Detailing Supply Retailer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »
Looking at the 15 F-150's and if I get one I will certainly be getting liners.

Looks great Mike

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »
On the flip side, I happen to drive a new 14 Dodge 2500 Longhorn the other day...gotta say, it was very impressed.

And lightning didn't strike you down?  :wow:

I thought Mike and I were the only traitors around here. Shame on you!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
Good deal, Robby.  Whereabouts are you located?  I only ask because I'm concerned about the liners being difficult to clean out where they meet the fender lip and causing premature rusting.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »

And lightning didn't strike you down?  :wow:

I thought Mike and I were the only traitors around here. Shame on you!
I don't have a problem with him driving one.  His opinion is just wrong.  Haha :crazy: :nana:

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 10:37:43 PM »
That looks really good man....well done, I hate that Chevy doesn't do this.

Looks good. I need a set.

I've been curious about the new rear suspension on the Dodge 2500. Coil springs in the rear like their 1500.

Offline Robby32

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »
Kitzy - I bought the truck in western KY and now live in NC. But, have gotten some mud on them and it washes off with ease. Front liner goes over the lip and have had no problems in the back. This is the "sandhills" of NC so lots of fine sand around - no problem. Snow and Ice I don't know. But don't think it would be any different than if they were not there.

:Old Dogg™:

* Recent Photos

0426001935.jpg

Views: 1
By: leedriver

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal