March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Acidic Wheel Cleaners and Sprayers  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Acidic Wheel Cleaners and Sprayers
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »
So I got to thinking the other day.  Wheel Brightener and Spray and Rinse are great products but kill spray heads in no time flat.  Has anyone ever tried using a pump sprayer? 

Its my understanding that what actually fails is not the seals but rather the spring inside the spray head.  I'm wondering if this would still be a problem with a pump sprayer.  I know the springs are still internal but they are also much thicker.  Also, even if the seals are an issue, the pressure is created within the container and not released (therefore no product) until the trigger is pressed.  I don't know if it would be any better or more durable or if it would just be a more expensive sprayer that won't last.  It would have to last significantly longer to justify the cost.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Acidic Wheel Cleaners and Sprayers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
So I got to thinking the other day.  Wheel Brightener and Spray and Rinse are great products but kill spray heads in no time flat.  Has anyone ever tried using a pump sprayer? 

Its my understanding that what actually fails is not the seals but rather the spring inside the spray head.  I'm wondering if this would still be a problem with a pump sprayer.  I know the springs are still internal but they are also much thicker.  Also, even if the seals are an issue, the pressure is created within the container and not released (therefore no product) until the trigger is pressed.  I don't know if it would be any better or more durable or if it would just be a more expensive sprayer that won't last.  It would have to last significantly longer to justify the cost.

Tapatalkin...

Interesting.  I have got in the habit of using the spray heads then rinsing them off...seems to extend the life 5X.   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
Yeah I do that too.  I keep a small container of water or even use the hose end to flush the sprayer immediately after each wheel but it gets old and its stressful having to rush and hope it survives.  So a quick search revealed this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0008IVD0A?pc_redir=1408129573&robot_redir=1

I'd like a 1 gallon though.  2 and 3 gallons is a bit much.  I'm going to keep looking for something smaller.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
This might be perfect.  First one on the page.   The 1.5 L Acid.

http://www.concretesolutionsandsupply.com/products/spsprayers.html

Tapatalkin...

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Yeah I do that too.  I keep a small container of water or even use the hose end to flush the sprayer immediately after each wheel but it gets old and its stressful having to rush and hope it survives.  So a quick search revealed this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0008IVD0A?pc_redir=1408129573&robot_redir=1

I'd like a 1 gallon though.  2 and 3 gallons is a bit much.  I'm going to keep looking for something smaller.

Tapatalkin...

There are smaller pump sprayers out there, I used to have one.   Think I got it at ACE.   

You have those?   

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
ACE Hardware?  Yes we have them.  My favorite hardware store actually.  They ways seem to have what I need.  Not a Lowes or Home depot fan but will go where I must.

That last pump sprayer I posted, the 1.5 L is specifically designed for hydrophloric acid.

Tapatalkin...

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »
ACE Hardware?  Yes we have them.  My favorite hardware store actually.  They ways seem to have what I need.  Not a Lowes or Home depot fan but will go where I must.

That last pump sprayer I posted, the 1.5 L is specifically designed for hydrophloric acid.

Tapatalkin...

yeah that looks like a good solution, try it out as I am not in the buying anything at this time mode.    :)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
I think I'm going to.  If I do it will be a test for sure as I'm going to try to kill it just to see if I can.  Wish amazon carried that particular one because I have $75 in gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

Tapatalkin...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
Curious on how this works out too. I have had Spray and Rinse in a Meg's multi-purpose bottle for a while and it seems to be holding up without running water through it. But I have only used it 4-5 times so far.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
Curious on how this works out too. I have had Spray and Rinse in a Meg's multi-purpose bottle for a while and it seems to be holding up without running water through it. But I have only used it 4-5 times so far.

The spray head hasn't failed yet?

Tapatalkin...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
Not yet,  I forgot to rinse it out the first time and it continued to work, so I figured I would experiment to see how long it lasted.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
What spray head is in it?  Oddly enough, I've killed every spray head in no time flat except for the foaming kind.  That holds up the longest.  Funny thing is I only used it because I was out of all of my other spray heads.

Tapatalkin...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
Nothing special, just these bottles and the standard spray heads they supply. I am sure that they will fail, but how long it will take is the question...

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-dispensing-bottles.html

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
I've killed chemical resistant spray heads before getting around an entire vehicle and that's with putting them with clean water between between each wheel as soon as I'm done spraying.  I literally spray the wheel, drop the spray head either in to a fresh water bottle, a bucket of water or the end of the hose.  That's my dwell time before I rinse the wheel.

Tapatalkin...

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
I've had good luck with the double spray bottles.
- The ones from the farm supply stores, orange bottle, not the expensive ones.

I spray all 4 tires, then go back and rinse them.  After I am done I pump water through the head ( about 4 to 6 oz ) and them spray it dry.

Some times they hang up, I smack them on the ground and they will work again.  Once I get back from SDG I will take a look to see if I have a double spray or PB chemical head on it right now.
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_2672.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal