April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: what's the difference  (Read 10339 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: what's the difference
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
I've been thinking about getting an SCT for my new Lincoln truck.  I've always used the tuners on my mustangs, but never on a truck.  I've heard a tuner is the best mod for the 5.4 trucks.

I loved my SCT for my F150...Troyer did a good job for me.  But I could have just gotten the AF1 and been done.  It was so much fun.  I did get tired of waiting so long for tunes and pay the costs for F150's from Troyer until I realized that there are other good tuners out there.  I really like Justin's tunes and if I had an F150 again, he would be my first call.   I think he will sell tunes for as little as 50 bucks.  You have so many options with a gas engine, with the octane levels etc...but again, running stock with an AF1 was probably the best bang for the buck I got out of that truck and the sound, even with a stock exhaust was just great!!

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 11:07:28 PM »
I've went back and forth about the intake.   I've always wondered if they make "that" much of a difference.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 11:10:44 PM »
I've went back and forth about the intake.   I've always wondered if they make "that" much of a difference.

BTW you have a cool Avatar shot...good stuff

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 06:32:14 AM »
i have no experience with the harbor freight polisher but i would make sure the trigger is a true variable speed...looking at the description is 1000-3000 rpms...this tells me this has a cheap china trigger on or off with a varible speed thumb roller...they are saying its varible speed since it has a speed control once its on, i guess the best way to explain is like the da...pick a number and then turn it on like speed #1-5....i think you would want a true varible speed with the trigger machine for your selection of a rotary

the makita goes from 0-3000 rpms....the thumb roller limits the speed of what you want the max to be.  you can spread and start to work product at 10 50 100 300 or 500 rpms with a 1/4 or half pull of trigger and then lay into pull the trigger all the way and work it up to say 12-1500 rpms....it appears that the hf polisher saying the rpms are 1000-3000, 1000 rpms are the minimun that the machine will spin....i thinks that be a bit to fast....

here is the makita for $169 with free shipping on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9227C-Variable-Ergonomic-Loop-Handle/dp/B0000223IZ
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 06:35:59 AM by tdr6874 »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »
i have no experience with the harbor freight polisher but i would make sure the trigger is a true variable speed...looking at the description is 1000-3000 rpms...this tells me this has a cheap china trigger on or off with a varible speed thumb roller...they are saying its varible speed since it has a speed control once its on, i guess the best way to explain is like the da...pick a number and then turn it on like speed #1-5....i think you would want a true varible speed with the trigger machine for your selection of a rotary

the makita goes from 0-3000 rpms....the thumb roller limits the speed of what you want the max to be.  you can spread and start to work product at 10 50 100 300 or 500 rpms with a 1/4 or half pull of trigger and then lay into pull the trigger all the way and work it up to say 12-1500 rpms....it appears that the hf polisher saying the rpms are 1000-3000, 1000 rpms are the minimun that the machine will spin....i thinks that be a bit to fast....

here is the makita for $169 with free shipping on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-9227C-Variable-Ergonomic-Loop-Handle/dp/B0000223IZ

found it for 157 on Ebay from Tooltown
http://cgi.ebay.com/Makita-9227C-7-Electronic-Polisher-Sander-Buffer_W0QQitemZ150242869466QQihZ005QQcategoryZ42266QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »
not to say one makita is better than other, but i think the one on amazon comes with the bag, velcro backing plate, and two pads one wool and one foam...mine was like this but two wool one real one syn wool...and then free ship to boot.  be careful, i think they sell one that is a machine only...no backing plate included or bag....

good deals are out there if you look for them

is it just me or does it look like the min speed on the harbor freight one does not spin less than 1000 rpms???

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
not to say one makita is better than other, but i think the one on amazon comes with the bag, velcro backing plate, and two pads one wool and one foam...mine was like this but two wool one real one syn wool...and then free ship to boot.  be careful, i think they sell one that is a machine only...no backing plate included or bag....

good deals are out there if you look for them

is it just me or does it look like the min speed on the harbor freight one does not spin less than 1000 rpms???

Good point...

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »
Just to add...

My Makita came with the backing plate, bag, and pads that were mentioned...

The backing plate is fine... the pads are, well, not ones that I'd use... but, the bag is VERY much worth a little bit of extra coin as it's very well built and a great way to store your investment.

I chose the Makita over the Dewalt a long time ago for the looped handle (which I still love)... it makes operating it a tad easier, IMO... especially at odd angles.

-RP-
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline Center Stage Auto Detailing

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 11:02:52 AM »
Getting  my feet wet slowly.  Went to Harbor Freight last Friday and picked up a Chicago Rotary sander/buffer combo.  Came with a backing plate (that should fit my meg's pads) and some pads I won't ever use.  I shopped arround and got a couple synthetic wool pads (best I could find without mail ordering).

Been doing a lot of reading and video watching.  Haven't found much help there pretty much just echoing the DA videos.  Guess it'll just be a trial and error thing.

It does have the instant on trigger but it's variable speed on a thumb dial and begins at 300 rpm which seems like it'd be ok to pick up a bead at that speed.

* Recent Photos

IMG_9974.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal