1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: what's the difference  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Center Stage Auto Detailing

• Charter Member
what's the difference
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:57 PM »
Would like to get my feet wet in rotary buffing in the next 6 months or so.

I've seen tons of posts with all kinds of machines.  Saw one that was talking about paint shop pros even saying that the cheapos from Harbor Freight wern't all that different from the expensive machines that they used.

I'm not really wanting to dump $300 into a new machine yet.  Is there a real difference between the cheaper models and those expensive ones?  What options are really necessary other than the variable speed of course.

Have a friend that's comming for a visit in a couple weeks.  We're meeting at his dad's Ford dealership and going to give me a crash course in using a rotary.  Actually converted his body shop from 3M to Meg's about a year ago.  Which I guess was a moot argument now.  LOL
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:02:19 PM by Center Stage Auto Detailing »

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
Re: what's the difference
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »
I'll be watching this one close.  I've *almost* bought the Harbor Freight rotary a few times, but don't want to waste my money "if" it's a bad machine.  But I REALLY don't want to drop the cash on a Dewalt or Makita right now.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
I think you are right, a lot of the cheaper models look just like the more expensive ones.  My first circular polisher wash a Dewalt, it was a workhorse but very heavy.
The circular polsiher I have right now is a Hitachi and I love it, it is pretty light and comes with a 5 year warranty, I'm pretty sure that is the biggest warranty offered out of all the major brands.  The price isn't too bad on it either.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »
I think this is a great idea, I would love to get this documented on the site and provide as a sticky.  I cannot provide any content unless my opinions are needed for a Flex and DA/PC 7424...I think we have to lean on
Rock, Gip, Boss, Dan, Justin, Scott etc...here.  I think it would be good to outline models, strengths, weakness, when to use when not to use etc.  A tool matrix if you will.  

I could possibly put in Excel and post on the site as a sticky.  

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:13:18 PM »
I think that is something this site could definitely benefit from RR, is a multitude of stickies/reference guides.  I know a lot of times it would be nice just to easily find "that" thread i'm always looking for.  :rofl:

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:17:35 PM »
A polisher that I've been thinking about getting for quite a while now is the Metabo.  From what I've read, it is crazy light and a breeze to use, the price tag is pretty high though.

I don't need anymore toys though!  Right now I have 2 PC's, Cyclo, Dewarlt circular, and a Hitachi circular.  I've also been thinking about a Flex!

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:21:03 PM »
I've went back and forth between a Flex and a rotary, but really, if I can get away with the Harbor Freight rotary, then 50 < 280.   

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:25:41 PM »
I think the Flex is right between a PC and a rotary.  I would say if you can do some good correction with a PC and are completely comfortable with take the jump to a rotary.  Find some scrap panels to practice on and get used to using it.  The rotary isn't as hard to use as most people think.  Just keep the buffer moving and just relax.

Offline Center Stage Auto Detailing

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 10:27:05 PM »
no kidding.  even if they burn up you can buy 4-5 Harbor ones for the price of one of the others.  Of course then you get into "get what you pay for" thing.

Like this one that has soft start, LCD speed display, and variable speed for just $55.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90820

This thread touches on it a bit.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23719
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:37:52 PM by Center Stage Auto Detailing »

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
I think after I get my tuner i just bought paid for, i'll pick one of these up.  Can't hurt.  If it breaks, I'll take it back and demand my money back.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »
I think after I get my tuner i just bought paid for, i'll pick one of these up.  Can't hurt.  If it breaks, I'll take it back and demand my money back.

Tuner?  Do tell?  I gots me one those for the F250. 

Bout the SCT from Troyer back in the day I had an F150, then with the new rig I got tunes from Justin at ID.  INSANE....

It sure is fun to program the F150's.  Really wakes those 5.4's up...oh and I did have the AF1...sweet!!!!

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 10:48:11 PM »
I bought an Edge.   As soon as Bill and Corey (Power Hungry Performance) get back from their vacation, i'll send it in to get the Gryphon upgrade then a custom tune (or 3).  It REALLY is a never ending cycle.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:07 PM »
I bought an Edge.   As soon as Bill and Corey (Power Hungry Performance) get back from their vacation, i'll send it in to get the Gryphon upgrade then a custom tune (or 3).  It REALLY is a never ending cycle.

Sorry for totally OT here, but getting that AirForce 1 was the BEST thing I did for my F150.  It was so much fun...I really miss my F150....Maybe I could talk my wife in to getting one. 

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »
I've been thinking about getting an SCT for my new Lincoln truck.  I've always used the tuners on my mustangs, but never on a truck.  I've heard a tuner is the best mod for the 5.4 trucks.

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »
I'm hoping it will "wake" mine up.  I think i'll notice the big difference when I get the custom tunes, but the canned tunes will be just fine for right now. 

When I took the 22's off, and put the 33" winter tires on, I dropped on the power.

* Recent Photos

Barrels

Views: 1
By: Kitzy

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal