April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Digital Cameras - P&S  (Read 9327 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Digital Cameras - P&S
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
OK.  Looking for a decent point and shoot.  I was all set to buy a Canon S120.  Then it dawned on me, and I'm not sure how great of an idea this is, but what if I grabbed a GoPro black edition for $50 less and then picked up the lcd touch screen bacpac for it?  I have a go pro hero 3 but its a paper weight.  This makes me leery of getting another one but I loved it and miss it for video.  So my main concern is picture quality.  How is it going to look compared to a decent-good p&s like the s120?

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Digital Cameras - P&S
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »
I just bought a GoProHero3 + Silver.   Taking it to Belize in the AM.   (yes Monday) 

I wouldn't want to use it as a P&S b/c there is no preview.   I love Canon P&S's. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:31:47 PM »
I also have the 3+ Silver. Very happy with it so far.

I wouldn't recommend the GoPro for pics since you have zero zoom capabilities. Although the pics it does take are nice, I'll try and get some up tomorrow.

I'm looking at this one as a new Point and shoot to replace our older Canon.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-powershot-sx-700-hs-16-1-megapixel-digital-camera-black/3986118.p?id=1219094931335&skuId=3986118&st=3986118&cp=1&lp=1
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:22:21 AM »
Jason, enjoy Belize!  FYI, there is a preview if you get the bacpac for it.  Its a touch screen LCD that clips to the back. 

Blown, I'm not sure I need a mega zoom like that.  I don't think anyway.  I'm not sure when I'd use it.  I don't often zoom in but it does make me wonder if I should at least consider it.  30x is a lot. 

My main concern with the go pro as a p&s is the fish eye look it creates.  Also no real focus points.  You get what you get.  As much as I want another one it may have to wait. 

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 07:28:56 AM »
If you are looking for a P&S, stick with that rather than trying to adapt something else to a P&S.
- I have wasted so much money trying to get an AIO with things, and similar to Paint AIO, it works, but it is not the best at each of the individual products.

Brad got me into Fuji cameras back in 2002, and I have stuck with them ever since.
I tried a sony in there, gave it to my mom.  I still have the 1st Fuji that Brad recommended, it looks like a 2.3rd scale SLR camera. Some of the pictures on the site here are from it some are from my Z3.  I don't think any are from my S1000FD ( that is from 2009 ).

Teh Fuji FinePix Z series are pretty good cameras for what they cost.

I just looked up on Amazon, the Mrs got a Z30 some time back ( disco ) but the Z90 is a lot like my Z3 that I still use today ( less it is 14MP, my Z3 is 5MP ) and it is 90.00 shipped Amazon Prime.

I can only offer a hands on between Sony & Fuji, and it would be to go Fuji.

Samsung is in the P&S market, and if the phone is any indication, that might be a good option.  I have never looked to see what written reviews are, I am still happy with my 4 year old S1000FD.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
My understanding is the Fujis are top notch.  They are also priced like it.  I'm still heavily leaning towards the Canon S120 unless someone persuades me otherwise.  The S120 is $450.  What are you guys using your zooms for?  I can only imagine a few reasons to need a lot of zoom and thats wildlife and sports, neither of which should be an issue.

Tapatalkin...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:58:45 AM by Kitzy »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »
The S120 is actually our other option if the zoom is too shaky in full use when free-handing it with the SX700. She would be mostly using the zoom for wildlife pics. it would be so she wouldn't have to lug around the DSLR all the time and still get decent photos.

Just so you have an idea, I went and snapped some comparative pics. GoPro 3+ Silver set on 10mp pics vs. my 4-5 year old SD1100 IS 8mp pics.

Go Pro

Canon P&S

I tried to take them from a similar POV. Sorry for the garage door opener in the GP pics, I was using my phone to view where the GP was pointed with one hand, while taking pics with the GP in the other.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:46:11 AM by Blown F-150 »
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »
I've used my phone for that before.  Haha.  Its not the mos convenient way for sure.  That pretty much confirms what I thought that the gopro does the whole fish eye thing.  That's great and all... when you want it.  So that's out. 

Tapatalkin...

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 07:47:13 PM »
450.00  :wow: 

When you posted P&S, I was thinking the Fuji Z90 as it is 130.00 on Amazon prime.
- If you don't mind Pink, you can get a set with case and a 4GB SD card for that price.

Sorry, that is what I was thinking when you said P&S.   450.00 is half what I paid for my S1000FD when it first came out.

If you are spending 450.00, take a look at the Fuji SL1000 ( 280.00 amazon prime ).
That is a 16MP camera with 50x optical zoom, and 2x digital zoom.  This is close to what replaced my camera.
This is a pop up flash, with hot shoe adapter, if you want the ability to use an external flash.  Watch which flash you get, some run too hot for the digitals I have a Vivitar 285HV ( < 100.00 new ) and it is within spec and works great.  If that is something you want to go after, it is not needed for general use.

This can do a bit more than point and shoot, but does that well also.  I don't know if that is what you are after.  Comparing the Z90 to a 450.00 camera is akin to trying to use a garbage can lid as protection against a 50AE round.  Not an even playing field.

Again, sorry when someone says P&S, I am thinking < 150.00 ( closer to 100.00 ) camera.  450.00 for a P&S camera is a bit extreme in my book.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
It is pricey but the funny thing is they go up well beyond that.  I'm trying to find a middle ground.  The S120 is highly rated.  I like that it shoots in RAW.  It has a decent sized sensor and will go down to f/1.8.  It will also take 1080p/60p.

Tapatalkin...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:12:58 PM by Kitzy »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
For 450.00 I hope there is more than that list to like about it.

For 280.00 you can get that with a 50x zoom, continuous shooting, top 9 image selection from 3 fps to 10 fps shooting, viewfinder and LED screen and a list as long as your arm to go with it.

Canon might go higher for P&S, but they need to recoup the money they spent on Ashton K.

Sorry, 450.00 sounds like ridiculous money to spend on a P&S.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 04:32:40 AM »
Ashton kutcher pushes Nikon.  Regardless, I've been comparing it to other cameras more expensive than it and I haven't found one for a price that's really a better deal.  I just woke and my memory is fuzzy but if I remember right I think the continuous shooting is 12.1 fps for the first 9 or 10 pictures and them it drops to somewhere around 8 or 9.  It definitely lacks zoom but I'm fairly certain I'm OK with that.  Haha.  This camera is supposed to be stated as one of of not the best camera in its class which is sort of the mid range class.  Good low light as well.  Decent at high iso.  I'm not opposed to a different camera but I just havent found on I like better.  I definitely dont want to spend $400+ but it is what it is.  Comparable cameras are going for more.

Tapatalkin...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:36:37 AM by Kitzy »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »
That's right, thanks for correcting me.

We do have a big delta with P&S cameras.  Comparable cameras in that size format might go for more, but if you look to a different camera body, you might find a huge price drop with no loss of feature.

I spend 900.00 + on my S1000FD back in 2009 when it first came out, but the comparable camera today is the SL1000 for < 1/3rd the price today with the advancements made and it has more features to it.

If you are stuck on Canon that is cool.   I cringe spending that kind of cash on a P&S
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 04:36:28 AM »
I hear ya on the money.  Its the most I will have ever spent on a p&s.  Some are damn close to that of a DSLR.  Like I said, it doesnt have to be canon.  I looked at others as well.  Lots of searching for "best p&s of 2014" and similar searches.  I keep ending up at the s120.  The most comparable Fuji is the X20 at $500.  While nice and maybe even better in some aspects, the S120 does certain things I appreciate better.  And at this point, an extra $50 starts to matter.  I keep putting off the purchase hoping I find a better option.  One thing to keep in mind is how pocketable the S120 is while retaining ifs features.

Tapatalkin...

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 07:39:55 AM »
The X20 is not pocketable either, that is like an old Brownie Camera size wise ( I think it is slightly larger ) with the lens sticking out the body.  The X20 is still a full size camera with a hot shot adapter, it is jsut not SLR sized.

Actually at this price point, 50.00 is squat. 
You are talking about a 12% price change, where in the Z90 range it is a 45% price change. 
If you are spending that kind of money, if another Cannon model you are comparing is 50.00 more for more features you want, not spending it is unwise. 
- In for a penny in for a pound with that low of a delta.

The money you are spending is for it to be pocketable with features of a larger camera.  Is that worth the money it costs ?  That is a huge convenience premium.
Steve

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal