April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: The Family Handyman's article this month will generate work  (Read 3312 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
The Family Handyman's article this month will generate work
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
Just read the article on spring cleaning for the paint on vehicles.  All I can say is wow  :wow:

I guess if someone had no clue what so ever, and could not use Google to find a detailing forum with a starting point ( i.e. here ) it is better than using the brush at the coin op wash.

For deep scratches they suggested Rubbing compound and a sponge ( looked like an aqua sponge ) to work down the scratch.

Used the same sponge technique to spread polish over the paint before working in it with a PC DA ( and it looked like they were using the white mounted pad that comes with the kit ).

Could not find the article online yet to link it, but here is some of the suggestions they give the handyman around the house for removing a scratch in paint from previous articles.

Wet Sand

Rubbing Compound on a pad on a drill ( rotary right out of the gate  :slow: )

After this the next step to to follow it up with polishing compound to restore the shine.

The print article talks about Megs products, but they fail to mention one most new to the game should use with that DA, the Megs MF system.
- While I don't care for it, it is not aggressive enough for someone to get in serious trouble with.  That is as long as they don't set the pad facing down in the salt on the floor of the garage.

Keep an eye out for new swirl mobiles around town and if you take on one of these SISO ( Self Installed Swirl Option ) you might have an idea of where it came from and it might be missing quite a bit of clear in some spots from rubbing compound.
- I did not know anyone used rubbing compound on anything other than rusty chrome bumpers
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: The Family Handyman's article this month will generate work
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:12:10 PM »
Come on Steve, what could possibly go wrong?  :dunno:

I remember once - about fifteen years ago - when my (late) brother called and said he'd just used toothpaste to remove a bunch of bug spots from his hood. Yea. it was pretty much a write off.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »
That almost looks like  4" PFW pad.  I don't really know what to say to this. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »
Not much to say, guess it happens with or without an article.

I have seen goobers on the Sport Touring forum post they use Meguires Mag & Al polish to clean up plastic headlamps.
- It costs too much to buy something like PB ProPolish or Megs plastic polish  :wow: Cheap dumb asses
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_2267.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal