March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Sticky Buttons ??  (Read 16452 times)

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
Sticky Buttons ??
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:15:56 AM »
Hey guys questions for you, just went out and cleaned the inside on my Benz. On the steering wheel are the 4 sets of buttons for the radio and menu functions etc.  The plastic on the face of the buttons has started with that sticky/tacky feeling like there is sap or something on them which of course there is not.  I tried just warm water and a shamy but no go and wanted to see what you gus suggested before I tried anything else as I do not want to make it worse or remove the printed logos that are on each button.

Any suggestions ?
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Sticky Buttons ??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »
Wow, you go me with that one. I'd not only be worried (like you) about messing up the button surfaces even more. But I'd also worry about getting anything in behind the buttons and messing up the mechanism.

Anybody else?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
Pictures?  Is this a common problem?  Seems to be the vibe I'm picking up from you.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »
I cannot say what would happen with your MB, I clean mine in the truck with Einszett C0ckpit premium and have not had an issue with loss of text on them.

I use a horsehair interior brush, spray it directly on the brush and just brush on them lightly.

Now what would happen to the text on the MB, got me I do not know how well that is applied to the button or what would happen under them ( Ford buttons have everything in the center, it is very hard to get it to the electronics with the resistors ).
Steve

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
After checking around it seems this was a common issue in my model year and the year before.  The clear coat the company that made the buttons used to seal them goes bad and hence the sticky gummy buttons.  MB wants $380 before taxes to replace them  :dope: , I read all kinds of horror stories about guys using cleaner and other stuff and taking the black and icon off of the buttons and turning them white so I was nervous about trying stuff.

Allot of guys said they bought Goo Gone so I tried that but no go did not do a thing for them.  When I am down in the US I use a garage there for oil changes and service who work on MB only so I called them yesterday and they said they use All Purpose Cleaner and not to be gentle so out I went ! Two hours later all the gummy residue is gone and buttons are clean ! Only issue now they are down to bare black plastic so I am trying to figure out now if I should just use Back to Black on a Qtip to bring some life to them or something else ?
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
I would recommend Black Wow or Meg's interior/exterior Trim restorer (since they "dry").
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
Ok thanks I will try and get either one of those
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
Picked up some of the Megs on the way home today and just finished doing the buttons and they turned out great thanks for the help
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:47:37 PM »
Interesting.  Good to know!

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »
Two more questions

Is the megs stuff I just bought ok to use on all the rubber mouldings and seals around the windows, doors, roof etc ? as I believe they have never been done.

Also is there any other than megs Interior Spray to do the door panels and dash etc I just don't find it does much for the appearance

Thanks
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »
Two more questions

Is the megs stuff I just bought ok to use on all the rubber mouldings and seals around the windows, doors, roof etc ? as I believe they have never been done.

Also is there any other than megs Interior Spray to do the door panels and dash etc I just don't find it does much for the appearance

Thanks

So the below image has two different Meg's products, I'm not sure if this is what you are using.
Anyway, I use the product on the left for all exterior rubber, textured plastic, etc. that I want to put some shine into that will stay over time. This product "dries" and seems to last really well. the product on the right is what I use for some interior plastics/hard surfaces. I find it doesn't play really well with "shiney" or smooth plastics as it is tough to get a uniform look out of it. I prefer to use "PB's Natural Look" in these cases. With the Megs products, I find applying them with a Terry cloth towel or cotton (see: old T-shirt) is the best. MF's tend to keep the product from being applied evenly, in my case anyway.

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
The one on the left is what I purchased so I will use that one on all the exterior stuff like you do.  What would you recommend then for the dash and floor panels etc other than megs detail spray ?
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
He recommended Poorboy's Natural Look and so do I.  Or Poorboy's Leather Stuff (not only for leather.). I prefer Leather stuff myself because I like the smell of leather plus it has less shine.  That said, sounds like you want a little more shine so Natural Look would work.  Still not overly shiny and has a really be cherry scent.  I'm not a fan of cherry scent but I (and everyone I know of) loves how it smells. 

Tapatalkin...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
Yup, Natural look is great stuff, never tried the Leather stuff though...

I do use the ultimate protectant (on the right in pic above) for a bunch of stuff inside, I do like it, but it does shine a fair amount.

* Recent Photos

DSC02904.JPG

Views: 0
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal