April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Felt guilty/motivated, thanks TS  (Read 10534 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Felt guilty/motivated, thanks TS
« on: April 12, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Well after Tom posted up his Scion engine detail on top of everything else, I figured it was time to get at least something posted up here.

It was pretty darn nice out here today in the high 70's so it was time to do the engine compartment in the 'ol Edge. Simple cleaning, I just headed to the coin wash and used the pressure washer without pulling the trigger to soak everything down. Then I used Optimum Powerclean @ 4:1 with a soft brush over pretty much anything. The battery had some nice corrosion fuzz on it, so I just used baking power on it. Once everything was scrubbed down, I used the "spotless rinse" feature as it is low pressure. It came out pretty good. I didn't use any dressing as I don't have any of this magical "Hyper Dressing" that everyone talks about... :uugly:

Before (sorry for the blurry pic)

Battery Before

After

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:16:11 AM by Blown F-150 »
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Felt guilty/motivated, thanks TS
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
Man, it doesn't even need dressing.  That really cleaned up nice.  Nice work!
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »
Man, it doesn't even need dressing.  That really cleaned up nice.  Nice work!

um, now I know why you don't know what HD is...you have obviously figured out something or a step we have missed.   

That looks great dude.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 05:26:23 AM »
Looks Great Ryan! Glad I was able to help - in some small way.  :redneck:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »
I figured I would just tag on the continued piece meal detail of the Edge in this thread.

Today was a doozy, I decided to tackle the wheels. I was going to wait till my Spray and Rinse arrived from Harold, but as the wife was cooking a big Easter supper, I just wanted to keep out of the house.  :nana:

I went to the coin up with my usual bucket pre-filled with Meg's Gold Soap and my MF mitt. I used my EZ-Detail brush on the wheels and was kinda shocked to see how bad they really were. The salt hit them pretty hard and there was considerable brake dust compared to what I've seen in the past.

Once washed, I wheeled over to the garage and got to it. Basically after a wipe-down with ONR at QD ratio, I used Justin's Metal RX (worked wonders yet again) with a Terry Cloth towel and used a MF to wipe off the residue. It took roughly one hour per wheel. I am sure I could have done it much faster with the powerball or by hitting them first with Spray and Rinse, but all well.  :dunno:

Before's

After's

Tires hit with Meg's Hot Spray Tire Shine. One thing to note, is that the Canadian version of this stuff is way better than what I found here. Still worked though.

Wheel wells sprayed with....wait for it....Meg's HD @ 4:1! and then wiped down with a crappy MF.

Next up with will be the glass, it has a nasty case of the "spots".

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:57:29 PM »
Nice work! I have one word for those wheels: therapy. A whole hour per wheel? I'd have been driven to drink!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
Yup, you read that right, one hour per.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »
The wheels look great.  Just so you know, Megs HD doesn't need to be wiped down.  At least not in the wheel wells.  It can be left to dry. 

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:48:35 PM »
The wheels look great.  Just so you know, Megs HD doesn't need to be wiped down.  At least not in the wheel wells.  It can be left to dry. 

Tapatalkin...

Cool, Thanks. I was having issues with it spraying nice in my el 'cheapo spray bottle. With the wipe-down it came out pretty nice, good stuff.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:51:18 PM »
Gotcha.  It really is a great product and very cheap when you factor in the 4:1 ratio.  I usually load it up and forget about it.  Intact, I handed my girlfriend the bottle yesterday and said go spray the crap out of anything black in the wheel wells. 

Tapatalkin...

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »

Tapatalkin...

Cool, Thanks. I was having issues with it spraying nice in my el 'cheapo spray bottle. With the wipe-down it came out pretty nice, good stuff.

If I recall correctly, JP says it works better with Bourbon.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »

Tapatalkin...

To be fair, I think Jason thinks everything works better with Bourbon.  Haha

Tapatalkin...

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »

Tapatalkin...

To be fair, I think Jason thinks everything works better with Bourbon.  Haha

Tapatalkin...

Specifically Crown Royal....
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »
Crown is my fav too.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 03:57:32 PM »
It ended up being pretty nice out yesterday and up till now today. So it was time to get some more detailing done.

The Wife helped me out yesterday and we clayed the whole car (including glass) and I was able to knock out the hood and front fenders with the Meg's MF and Correction Compound, followed by M205 on a white LC CCS pad. LSP was Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax. Sorry no pics as I had planned on taking them today.

One thing I noticed this time around was a lot more rust specs, maybe the brakes getting worn down more or something I don't know.  :dunno: I will be ordering some IronX before I polish the sides to try and get rid of more of the rust specs.

Here's what I mean about 50% came out with clay

Today's task was all the glass except for the roof as I need to purchase a stool to do a decent job.

Water spots that I was going after (easiest seen at top of pic)

All the trim was taped off to prevent the polish from staining the plastic/rubber trim

Since clay didn't even put a dent in the water spots, I just hit all the glass with M105/UC on a 4" Orange LC CCS pad. They came out pretty quick after a pass or two, I think it took longer to tape then to polish. In the corners that I couldn't get at with the pad were hit by hand with a cheapo MF and 105.

After all the glass was wiped down and re-cleaned with Stoners Invisible glass, everything was treated with Rainx, I am still a fan of this stuff.

End result

Just as I was wiping off the last of the Rainx from the windshield, it started to rain, so the timing worked out well, although I could have finished it in the garage. It did prevent me from getting some good paint pics, so I hope to get some when I tackle the sides.

* Recent Photos

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal