April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Poor Boys Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Poor Boys Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner
« on: April 06, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
I?m preparing my late brother?s Mazda 6 for sale and today was perfect for taking off the snow tires and replacing them with the factory alloy wheels & tires prior to a full detail later this week. Although the car was pretty clean, the silver painted aluminum wheels were a bit neglected and stained from brake dust. Having just received two bottles of Poor Boys Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner, I figured this would be a good test. And the last time I detailed this car, I used Sonax Wheel Cleaner with ?acceptable? results.

Following the directions on the bottle, I soaked each wheel front and back and let them sit for about 5 minutes. The back of the wheels were pretty ugly, so I dipped one of my old wheel brushes in a bucket of hot water, then brushed the back side. All I can tell you is wow! This stuff dissolved virtually all of the ugly crud and then a quick blast with the hose removed the rest.

Moving to the front sides, I again somewhat disregarded the instructions and used a tire sponge to work the product in between the spokes where the worst staining was. Just like the back sides, what the sponge didn?t remove, the hose washed right off. I was starting to get really impressed.

So for the next wheel, I skipped the brush on the back and the sponge on the front. Virtually the same results.  All I can tell you is that this product is now my ?go to? product for wheels. It gets a solid two thumbs up from this guy. I only wish I'd taken before and after shots to show you how well it worked. Sorry about that chief!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Poor Boys Spray & Rinse Wheel Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »
Don't worry.  We didn't expect any pictures... :-*

Spray and Rinse is great for stock wheels and chrome.  It rivals Wheel Brightener.  It does tend to eat the spray heads though.  Maybe Pockets can chime in on it because if I recall they figured out what goes wrong in the spray heads.  Its not the seals but rather the spring if I remember correctly. 

Back to the pictures though... or lack there of... its one thing to experiment and not take pictures because you didn't expect much but then to move on and use it again and still not take pictures.... shame on you!
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
Yea, I kind of figured I had that coming. Shrugs. But in my defense, I wasn't expecting anything anywhere near as awesome for results. Hopefully next time I use the product on something truly awful, I'll get pics.

And speaking of pics, just to keep you guys happy, I bought a brandy new digital camera. Breaking with my long standing tradition of only buying cameras from my former employer, I bought a Nikon Coolpix L120. It's not the absolute latest and greatest and it's only got 14.1 megapixels, but I got a hell of a deal on it and it should be more than enough for detailing shots.

OK, so I probably just set myself up for more abuse ...

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
Oh and Mike, I have a new way to avoid wiping out spray heads with wheel cleaners. I save old / empty spray bottles from other products. When I need to clean wheels, I pour some product into the old bottle, use it, then pour the balance back into the original bottle. I then toss the spray bottle. Today one would have thought I was using tub & tile cleaner on the wheels.

No more wiped out expensive spray heads!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »
I usually just keep a bottle dedicated to this. I just keep water in it.  No spray head on it.  When you're done spraying the wheel cleaner on a wheel, just quick throw the spray head in to the water bottle and purge it.  Then... back to the wheel cleaner bottle.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
I usually just keep a bottle dedicated to this. I just keep water in it.  No spray head on it.  When you're done spraying the wheel cleaner on a wheel, just quick throw the spray head in to the water bottle and purge it.  Then... back to the wheel cleaner bottle.

Yea, I did that for a while, but I was still wiping out spray heads. It just took a little longer.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
Tom, welcome to the pool, jump in water is fine; as you found out.

For the spray heads, I use the double spray heads ( from the orange horse tack bottles, not the relabeled german ones at 50% more ) and I always end by pulling the head out of the bottle, and stick the pick up tube in an cut open water bottle and pump about 6 oz of water through it.
- I have the cut open bottle in the cabinet just for this reason.

I killed one double spray head, before I figured this out.

As for pictures, I still have the worst ones I have taken to date in the other thread here on the SIL's previous Stang.
- The red put down the chalupa one  :redneck:

I gave up using wheel sealant on wheels when I got into this stuff some time back.
- Then again I have painted & clear'd wheels I am working with.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
I love spray and Rinse, awesome stuff. I hope Harold still has some, I've been lazy and haven't put in my request for stuff yet.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 04:25:19 AM »
I love spray and Rinse, awesome stuff. I hope Harold still has some, I've been lazy and haven't put in my request for stuff yet.

I was going to load up on some product until I looked at my account.  Its been a rough winter for me.  You know when you can't justify even $50 to pick up some sutff at a good price... haha

Offline Pockets

• Detailing Supply Retailer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
Glad you liked it Tom what took you so long  :om: :uugly:

We still can't find a sprayer that can handle Spray and Rinse but rinsing them out after use typically saves them. We are not about to make it any less strong so keep saying goodbye to sprayer heads it's just a matter of time  :bomb:

Until they come out with a great spray head that can hold up to it we just keep praying.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
Glad you liked it Tom what took you so long  :om: :uugly:

We still can't find a sprayer that can handle Spray and Rinse but rinsing them out after use typically saves them. We are not about to make it any less strong so keep saying goodbye to sprayer heads it's just a matter of time  :bomb:

Until they come out with a great spray head that can hold up to it we just keep praying.

I've been either using old spray bottles from household products (single use) or running water through my "good" spray heads after using the stuff. That usually gets me 3-4 uses before they give up the ghost. Don't change the stuff a bit!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
The last time I used spray and rinse was a few weeks ago.  The spray head was shot and I was out of chemical heads.  I was also out of standard heads.   All I had left were foaming heads.  Worked like a champ.  Not sure it still works though

Tapatalkin...

* Recent Photos

IMG_9213.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal