March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: A Little Microfiber Towel Help?  (Read 24731 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
A Little Microfiber Towel Help?
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
Hey guys, I have a question on laundering my microfiber towels that?s been bothering me for months. When I first buy new Ultra Plush (or any other) microfiber towels, they?ll suck up water like no tomorrow. After the first wash and dry though, they?re nowhere near as good at soaking up water. Nothing I?ve tried so far will bring them back to the original condition.

So here?s what I do to wash them right now. I throw them in the washer for a hot water wash / cold water rinse. I use Tide detergent plus some Oxi-Clean powder and a half cup of Vinegar. Recently, I began adding Micro-Restore too per the instructions on the bottle.  For drying, I toss them in the dryer on medium heat with no fabric softener.

My theory is that since I only have one washer and dryer, maybe there?s some buildup of fabric softener from regular laundry loads on the dryer drum and that?s getting onto / into the microfibers and preventing them from working as designed. Other than that, I?m fresh out of ideas. Your thoughts? 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: A Little Microfiber Towel Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »
I pretty much do the same thing only I use Woolite instead of Tide. I don't think my MF's are getting back to the way they were either. I've tried to hand wash with Woolite as I figured the same thing on the residue from previous washes, but not much improvement.

Has anyone found a MF specific wash that works?
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »
Prob need Justin to see this...I think he told me one time to boil them on the stove from time to time.
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »
Prob need Justin to see this...I think he told me one time to boil them on the stove from time to time.

If it's that simple, I can make it happen. Should one of us PM him? Others would like to know too.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
Get the fire pit going and get a huge pot.  There you go.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »
I can just see Gip with a MF Dutch Oven and a wooden mixing spoon cooking up some MF's then as they are drying, his wife throws them out as trash.

Oh wait, that isn't so funny.   That actually happened. 

:whisp:

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:14:13 PM »
OK, so boiling the microfibers has been mentioned as a possible solution. How long does one need to boil them for?

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
Well, I boiled some of my microfiber towels tonight. Cooked them for 5 minutes at a rolling boil. Do not try this at home of you have a wife of GF around! They're in the wash right now and will be dry later. Maybe I'll try one out tomorrow if it's warm enough to wash a vehicle.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
I add a teaspoon of white vinegar for every towel to the wash .. It makes a big difference.

I can just see Gip with a MF Dutch Oven and a wooden mixing spoon cooking up some MF's then as they are drying, his wife throws them out as trash.

Oh wait, that isn't so funny.   That actually happened. 

:whisp:

I wish it was my wife.  It would be easier to live with.  I am the idiot that threw them all away. 

================

Doug

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »

I wish it was my wife.  It would be easier to live with.  I am the idiot that threw them all away.

Ouch!  That does suck.  I always assumed someone else threw them out.  I know its wrong that I'm laughing right now but its kind of funny.  You could always delete this post and we can all go back to pretending it was your wife's fault.  She doesn't have to know.  Haha

In a related story, a couple years back I went with my girlfriend and her family to visit their family in Tennessee.  Everyone's stuff was placed in garbage bags in the bed of the truck in case of bad weather during the drive.  Upon arrival it was all unloaded in to the garage.  Well the next morning someone had taken a bag full of her fathers shoes to the dump. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 04:09:58 PM »
Well folks, I finally got a chance to try my recently boiled microfiber towels out today. (Many thanks to Justin from Obsessive Detail for suggesting to boil them to release some of the deep down trapped contaminates.) As usual, he was right and almost all of the original ability to absorb is back. Prior to this I'd tried every other trick including Vinegar in the wash, Micro Restore in the rinse, not using Fabric Softener and yelling at them using bad words.

So if your microfiber towels don't seem to suck up water like they used to, make sure the wife or GF aren't around and boil them for about 5 minutes each before washing them with the usual tricks mentioned above.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
So cursing at them didnt work?  Man... that's my go-to solution.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »
So cursing at them didnt work?  Man... that's my go-to solution.

Yea, I was kind of shocked myself. I even used strong bad words. Of course me standing there over the stove with a 3 day beard, a beer, sweat pants and a wife beater probably scared them even worse.  :redneck:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 06:31:04 PM »
what did the water look like after boiling?   Oil slick of product?   

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
what did the water look like after boiling?   Oil slick of product?

Believe it or not, no. Most of the towels I boiled were yellow and the water that came out of that pot was somewhat yellow in color. No rainbow effect that I could see, but there was enough steam coming off of everything to hide something like that.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal