* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: New Wheels  (Read 19205 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: New Wheels
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »
Yeah.  The reaction of the guy at the shop when I told him they were PVD made me feel a little better about trying them again.  I told him while walking out to the truck for photos and n as soon as I said they were PVD his reaction was a very sincere reaction of shock.  Like he couldn't believe it.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 02:14:36 PM »
I sure hope it get's sorted out easily. You shouldn't have to cover shipping in this case. Definite flaw in the manu process.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 02:22:55 PM »
I agree.  We will see.  I heard back from tho powder coater.  He doesn't know if his stripper will strip pvd or not so he can't guarantee a lasting finish.  He was very upfront and said he can try but he can't stand behind it.  He said he hasn't tried to strip PVD yet.  He said it might work because ite a hybrid coating that's powder, metal powder.  The powder being between the wheel and "chrome" layer may allow the stripper to work.  It may not.  $90-95 per wheel either way.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 03:44:20 PM »
If it were me and they don't warranty it, I would send in the one bad wheel for the guy to try and powder coat. Not much of a loss that way. If he can do one, let him have the rest. If he can't, you're on the hook to buy one new replacement wheel.

Now if you have peeling on multiple wheels, I would hope you get warranty.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
It's major on one wheel and looks like it may just be starting on others but hard to say. But that's the exact same thing I told my girlfriend.  I may just send in the worst wheel to see what happens.  Part of me wants to just to see what happens.  Ajdnalso because then I can switch up the wheel color just for the hell of it.

Tapatalkin...

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »
So they care going to cover the wheels, HOWEVER, they said I have to pay shipping for the new wheels AND to send back the bad wheels.  $160 worth of shipping.  Then I have to pay an additional $130 to have the tires remounted and balanced.     I'll suck up the tire swap but te shipping is ridiculous.  Basically I have to pay for shipping three times.

Tapatalkin...

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
So they care going to cover the wheels, HOWEVER, they said I have to pay shipping for the new wheels AND to send back the bad wheels.  $160 worth of shipping.  Then I have to pay an additional $130 to have the tires remounted and balanced.     I'll suck up the tire swap but te shipping is ridiculous.  Basically I have to pay for shipping three times.

Tapatalkin...

I almost hate to tell you  this, but I get all of my mounting and balancing (Hunter Road Force) done for free. It's nice having a Certified Lexus Technician in the house that owes me a ton of money!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 06:42:41 PM »
I used to have a buddy do mine for free too.  He doesn't seem as cooperative anymore and I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I may ask him what it will cost.  It's not the mount and balance that grinds my gears.  It's the shipping when I bought them, the shipping to return them and then the shipping to get the new ones.  It's not my fault that THEIR product failed.

Tapatalkin...

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
I used to have a buddy do mine for free too.  He doesn't seem as cooperative anymore and I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I may ask him what it will cost.  It's not the mount and balance that grinds my gears.  It's the shipping when I bought them, the shipping to return them and then the shipping to get the new ones.  It's not my fault that THEIR product failed.

Tapatalkin...

Gotta agree with you there.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »
So I've been in contact with the guy from wheel pros that originally responded to my email.  This is the reason I was given for the shipping cost. 

" The only time the warehouses request for shipping charges to be paid is when there is something out of the ordinary with regards to the claim which makes sense.  Remember that I was shocked on how bad the PVD wheels were peeling in less than a year or so – well so were they.  It’s very very unusual and never seen before that the PVD wheel was peeling that badly so it is considered as out of ordinary so that we can inspect the wheels."

Now, to me, that sounds like they are accusing me of causing this.  Anybody else have a different take on that?  Basically, just because it's not the typical failure that they are accustomed to seeing, they push the costs off on the customer.  This leads me to question just how many issues they are seeing that this one seems so far out of the ordinary.  And why is it only one wheel with major peeling?

Tapatalkin...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:40:47 PM by Kitzy »

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
That guys logic seems backwards to me. If it were an issue where they NEED to inspect the wheels, they should be on the hook for it.

It seems very odd. I never charge one of our customers for shipping I if am requesting a part back.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
The last response I received from them.  I haven't responded because I haven't decided what I want to do yet.  First part of it is referring to me explaining that hopefully I'm not coming across as rude.

"No, not at all... we are trying to make it fair for everyone because in the past – we have bent the rules a little bit to help customers out and then later on, we discovered after inspecting the wheels ourselves and found out it was a fraud.  So we are trying to make it fair for everyone.  I am not saying that you are one of them or anything but I hope you can understand our position and how and why we are doing it this way.

It is a very difficult situation but your feedback below is very important that we definitely will take that into consideration to make the warranty process much better for everyone."

Tapatalkin...

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2015, 10:35:42 PM »
What does the warranty state....

It really is that easy.
Steve

* Recent Photos

DSC02935.JPG

Views: 1
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics