April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: New Wheels  (Read 19732 times)

Online Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
New Wheels
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »
Earlier this week I attempted to purchase American Racing ATX Shackles from a guy on eBay that had a killer price on them.  There was no bolt pattern listed and I wanted to make sure they were not blemished in any way.  I shot him a message asking him for the bolt pattern and if they were blems and be replied with they're new and as of that day the price went up, $40 to be exact.  I replied with if he honored the earlier price and the bolt pattern was correct that I would buy them.  He replied with CALL NOW.  I called him and explained who I was and he says " OK so do you want em?". He said he couldn't do the original price, knocked $15 off (still a great price but can't blame a guy for trying) and started going off about how no one else is going to include free center caps, lug nuts and valve stems and that it wasnt Obama giving this to me but he was.  I started cracking up on the phone.  Kind of told him to relax, I had to try.  He was cool after that.  Next day however he called, two of the wheels were damaged from the factory and there were no replacements anywhere to be found.  He offered to refund the money but said that Wheel Pros (company that makes most of the wheels out there, ie Moto Metal, American Racing, etc.) felt terrible and I could kill them on a deal if I went with something else thy make.  Gave me a few websites to look over and said he would refund me later in day if I couldn't find anything.  After looking I found the American Racing AF901s.  I liked these even more, called him up for a price, he said he would call me right back and did with a price $40 less than the others including the caps, lug nuts and stems.  This was at 2:45pm.  2:45pm the following day they were on my door step.  Awesome!  We had a rough start but he ended up being a great guy to deal with. 

New wheels, crappy lighting.  They look like black chrome in the pictures but you get the idea.  They are 20x9 in PVD Chrome.  They shouldn't be an issue in the winter like real chrome. 

I plan to run a 295/55r20 Toyo Open Country AT II.  Its the extreme version with deeper tread and more aggressive sidewall.  Here is a picture of a 285/55r20.

The original wheels I was trying go get and had my heart set on.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:43:03 PM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Pockets

• Detailing Supply Retailer
Re: New Wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
They look great but those ATX's dayum  :redneck:

I went with black this time around screw crappy chrome .... but interestingly enough PVD has a two year warranty and painted still only has a one year so they must be doing something right with it haha

Does it feel any different than chrome?

Online Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
Feels like powder coat which essentially it is.  At least the part you're touching.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:49:15 PM »
Sweet looking wheels Mike! Man, are you going to hate cleaning / polishing them though.  :hp:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:18:55 PM »
Those wheels look awesome! PVD seems to be the way to go these days. Curious to see how they hold up for you.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Online Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »
Thanks guys. 

I'm curious how they hold up as well.  Pockets let me down.  He was supposed to be my guinea pig and buy PVD first. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:15 AM »
well Mike those are awesome looking....

You get the benefit of getting PB Wheel Sealant on them before you even mount them....that puts you way ahead of the curve.

Better get like 4 coats on those.    :redneck:

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:24:40 PM »
well Mike those are awesome looking....

You get the benefit of getting PB Wheel Sealant on them before you even mount them....that puts you way ahead of the curve.

Better get like 4 coats on those.    :redneck:

I would think a application of Opti-Coat 2.0 may be in order.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »

Not to poke Chris in the eye in this thread, that would be my suggestion.

Sorry dude, still love and just got done using PB products on the SIL's new to her 2010 Stang
- thank god she ditches that rat trap, single stage hot iron job red one she had before.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 05:29:43 PM by sscully »
Steve

Online Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »
I still have some original Opti-Coat left.  I was thinking about doing three wheels and leaving one unprotected as a test.  If they don't hold up without the protection at least I only have to buy one new one.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:49:09 PM »

Not to poke Chris in the eye in this thread, that would be my suggestion.

Sorry dude, still love and just got done using PB products on the SIL's new to her 2010 Stang
- thank god she ditches that rat trap, single stage hot iron job red one she had before.

I'm with you on that one. I love my PB Wheel sealant, great stuff.

Offline Pockets

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
I've gotta come clean to you fellers here ..... Mikey already knows what  I did  :nija:

When I got my my new rims after the lift I spoke with Mike about Opti-Coating them. Yes yes Steve was apprehensive about me putting on another manufacturer's product onto my ride, but my reasoning was we don't currently offer anything like it and I would like to see the durability and length of it lasting. Might be something that we would be interested in researching and developing.   

So I contacted one of our distributors to purchase the Opti-Coat 2.0 and I spoke a little about it with them. I asked them if it was really permanent and how well is it going to hold up. I got my answers and decided to purchase it. I would not have purchased it if I did not get a wholesale price mind you.

Once I received the rims I did all the necessary steps to prep them (IPA wipedown, polish if needed, make sure it's perfect just the way you want it). I did this to two of my rims and applied the OC.

They beaded nicely when you washed them and I thought I was protecting my rims. They did not seem to shed off brake dust any better than the other rims that were not coated. While washing there was no noticeable difference in ease of cleaning with PB APC.

So fast forward about three to four months. My beading stopped and I feel that they were not protected anymore. This confirmed what I was told that it really is not permanent on rims, not even close. I was told a few months it would last down there and it did.

While applying it I was extremely nervous and stressed that I was going to fu*k up my rims and have them ugly with rainbows ... kinda like what Mikey did to one of his rims =p. I didn't feel like I was applying a special coating of anything it went on like a wax and buffed off the same, in fact I remember felling like I had buffed off everything that I applied for some reason. All this to last only a few months (also for a hefty price tag of $80 buckaroos)

So to sum it all up I don't think I will ever reapply it anywhere as it did not satisfy my needs and our little jar of Wheel Sealant for $20 bucks holds up just the same and is a pleasure to apply, remove, and reapply without all the worries of it being perfectly prepped. It wont break the bank and lasts just as long if not longer than the OC. 

I just wanted to come clean somewhere as I've had this for a while and have kept my mouth shut ..... you guys are like family and I would never post this anywhere else other than here. I think you can all understand that I'm not putting OC down I just wanted to share my experience and I'm all about saving money. I have not tried it on paint or trim or glass or anything other than chrome rims so I cannot comment on that aspect of it.

I know the new rims will be getting a nice rubdown of Wheel Sealant =) .... I may even make a video ;)

Online Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »
Well now I can stop saying I know a guy.  Haha.  Thats a relief as now "that guy" actually holds some weight.  And I will confirm I got a rainbow affect on one of my wheels on the stang.  Damn him for remembering that.  I do feel that it lasts longer than any other coating on wheels, but enough to justify the cost just for wheels?  Probably not.  And I mentioned once before that I applied it to my front end on vertical parts facing forward and they now seem to spot up with dirty spots faster than before, at least on the plastic chrome. 

Pockets, any noticeable difference in the pitting by chance?

Offline Pockets

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
Well now I can stop saying I know a guy.  Haha.  Thats a relief as now "that guy" actually holds some weight.  And I will confirm I got a rainbow affect on one of my wheels on the stang.  Damn him for remembering that.  I do feel that it lasts longer than any other coating on wheels, but enough to justify the cost just for wheels?  Probably not.  And I mentioned once before that I applied it to my front end on vertical parts facing forward and they now seem to spot up with dirty spots faster than before, at least on the plastic chrome. 

No difference in the pitting it didn't slow them down at all .... that happened after about 6 months of the rims being on the road

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »

No difference in the pitting it didn't slow them down at all .... that happened after about 6 months of the rims being on the road

And who said that would still happen?  :dh:

* Recent Photos

P1010132.JPG

Views: 5
By: mpittm2

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal