Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: A few questions about clean up ?  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
A few questions about clean up ?
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »
I just bought a used car, its a 2005 but almost spotless.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend to clean the engine and its plastics up a bit, the car has never been winter driven and hardly seen rain but is dusting and never been cleaned.

Also when the hood is open there is that white snow effect around the rubber of the lights and other rubber areas from when it got waxed, whats the best way to clean up the rubber and mouldings ?

Thanks
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: A few questions about clean up ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:43:40 PM »
First of all, congratulations on your new car. I suppose I should warn you about Rule #1 around here though: "Pics or it never happened." So how about sharing it with all of us?

As for cleaning under the hood, I have to ask one big question first. Is it a Ford modular motor? (4.2 liter V6, 4.6 liter V8, etc.)  The reason I ask is that family of motors are notorious (ask me how I know this) for not tolerating cleaning methods most other motors wouldn't mind. So before I offer any advice, let's hear what you've got.

As for the "snow effect" you noted around the lights, the thing we need to know is whether the wax got on textured plastic or rubber trim.

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
Thanks ! Its a 2006 Mercedes CL500 with only 25,000 KM and as I said never seen snow and rain maybe twice. Here are a few pics and the white wax film in on the rubber around the lights.

2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
Wow, that's one nice looking Benz! Congratulations! And now, on to your questions.

As to cleaning the engine bay, as far as I know, M-B doesn't have any huge issues with water ruining under hood electronics. That's going to make your job a lot easier. I'd recommend starting by putting plastic bags over any high dollar electronic components anyway. Then I'd recommend using Simple Green on a luke warm engine. Let it soak for 5-10 minutes, then go after persistent dirty areas with a brush. Next, rinse it off with as little water as possible. (I generally use a 2 1/2 gallon pressurized garden sprayer bottle.) Make sure you remove all of the cleaner.

Next, you want to protect your work and add some pop. Meguiar's Hyper Dressing or other similar dressings can help not only protect and condition rubber and plastic parts, but they also make the engine look a ton better. You will want to spread the dressing around with an old shop towel will help even the coating out though. I've even used some of the "one step foaming tire cleaners" on occasion with decent results. Be careful not to get any dressing on your serpentine belt though.

Hope that helps!

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
Sounds good, I have hyper dressing so I will give that a shot. What about removing the white wax residue from the rubbers ?
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
Sounds good, I have hyper dressing so I will give that a shot. What about removing the white wax residue from the rubbers ?

Sorry. Forgot about that one. Try some All Purpose Cleaner (full strength) with a light brush. Make sure to rinse the whole are well when you're done and any painted surfaces that the APC gets on should be re-waxed.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
Black Wow and Poorboy Trim Restorer have both worked well for me for dressing plastics and also removing wax residue.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
The fellow that detailed the car the last few times for the old owner used a wax with teflon in it which I am told people don't like because of the teflon ?.  My plan was to clean it well and wax the whole car by hand with Meguires Mirror Glaze 16 as I bought about 6 tins back when people thought there was going to be a shortage and have not used any yet.  I assume that why will apply okay over what ever the old detailer used with the teflon in it ?
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:37 PM »
The fellow that detailed the car the last few times for the old owner used a wax with teflon in it which I am told people don't like because of the teflon ?.  My plan was to clean it well and wax the whole car by hand with Meguires Mirror Glaze 16 as I bought about 6 tins back when people thought there was going to be a shortage and have not used any yet.  I assume that why will apply okay over what ever the old detailer used with the teflon in it ?

Personally, I don't think the Teflon was the main issue. Many waxes leave a white residue on rubber and plastic trim. BTW, with most waxes, if you wipe anything off quickly enough, you won't get the white staining effect. Of course not getting it on there in the first place is always better. Blue Painters Tape comes in really handy for just this type of situation.

As far as the #16 going over the old stuff, don't worry. You'll be just fine. Remember to post up some pics too!

* Recent Photos

canyon hitch

Views: 1
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal