* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Hard work paying off!  (Read 82627 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Hard work paying off!
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
thanks for the info, thought I did myself in.
- good to know I did not try killing myself.

I actually had it hit me sooner than the 30 min prior, but that might waiver as I start to use it more often.

9:40 AM is when I took it, ears started in at ~ 9:55 and I was working out by 10:00 ( only have to walk into the basement ).  I pushed myself pretty hard, and did not feel like rubber until 10:55.

Don't know if you are talking short as in 60 min ???

Thanks for the info, good to have someone to bound these things off of. :clap:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2014, 11:24:57 PM »
As for it not lasting long... I guess I'm comparing it to other per workouts which may be unfair.  It may also be a mental thing which is why I will continue to use it.  It seems on days I'm at the gym unusually long... 3 hours or so... it fades by the time I get to certain exercises where other preworkouts I felt still provided me that extra energy and dive.  However, Hyde seems to peak a lot higher than the others.  If it would continue all the way through my workouts I may not actually get to sleep on nights I train after work.  So it may be a good thing.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
What is your opinion on chain on bench work ?
- Decline bench press, military press, std bench.

Wanted to ask your thoughts before I go out and purchase 100' of 3/8" or 7/16" chain.
- Cost and what the heck to do with it  :wow:

I keep reading routines where people use this and they like it.

The concept seems like it would work well, but I wanted to see if you had any 1st hand on it.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »
Honestly, I'm now sure what you're doing with it.  Using it as extra weight?

I've seen people hang weight off of the ends of bars before but not with chains.  I've also seen people use chains around their neck for body weight exercises like dips, pull ups and chin ups.  Now where I can see a chain being kind of neat for something like benching or other barbell exercises is that if its long enough, as the bar gets closer to the floor the chain will start to rest more and more on the floor effectively removing weight from the bar as you go down and adding weight as you press the bar up.  I'm just thinking outloud here and we might not even be on the same page.  Here's my thought on this though.  Let's use the barbell bench press.  Its a compound hitting both chest and tris (front Delta heavy as well.)  When you lower the weight to your chest and begin pressing you are utilizing mostly chest vs tris until the second half of the movement.  Then tris taking over for the second half of the set.  So really the chest is getting ripped off a little since near the bottom more chain would be lying on the floor.  Same goes for bands as well.  I see people use rubber bands attached to dumbbells or plates to add resistance but the more they stretch the more resistance.  I think the added benefit comes in the eccentric movement where instead of gravity allowing the weight to fall, the bands are pulling the weight down making you fight harder for a slow controlled eccentric. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:39:36 AM by Kitzy »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
Sorry, I was referring to the increasing weight as the bar is higher and more of the chain is being picked up.

-Not that you have insight to this, I have a weight vest for adding weight doing step & stair work ( still getting the hang of the new style vest on the roman chair ).

So I could do it, but it is more so Tri work on benching, which is not an issue.

Chest work I am a fan of exercises like the flat around the worlds.  This is building nice for me in a flat manor.  This and the other chest day sets I am doing are build nice a flat over the whole area, rather than more top heavy like I had in the past.
- I don't need my chest to get anymore top heavy, I already have problems with my suits getting the "Dolly Parton" spread at the top, and they start as a 52L before the tailor cuts the sides and lower back in.

Maybe I'll try the bands.  I did not see this as an option, I only found Chain write ups.  Could be from searching for bench press chain  :slow:

This is why I wanted your opinion / insight in this. 
- I am searching for nails, as I only have a hammer.   Straps showed me there is a phillips screw driver in there too  :redneck:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2014, 07:42:29 PM »
OK so we were on the same page then.  Like I said, I've never seen it done.  It may be very beneficial.  But the way I analyze what it going on it would definitely seem to me that the tris would benefit more.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I just feel like you could add more plates on to get the same continuous weight throughout the movement rather than chains which are going to be progressive as you move through the movement.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
The chains would probably be really good for close grip bench press.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
There is that point where you cannot add more weight down low in the bench movement ( cannot push them away ) but once the movement is started and it switches from Chest to Tri, that is where the additional weight comes into play.

The max weight you can get moving ( in the 5x5 set ) is due to the down low side / close to the chest side of the movement.

At least reading that is what my take away was.  :dunno:
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2014, 04:50:57 AM »
If you can't push more weight in the lower end of the movement then maybe your chest muscles just aren't up to the task yet.  Maybe you just need to get them stronger.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »
That is exactly the issue. 

The chest is not up to the task of more weight, where the Tri's could do more if there was a way ( which is the use case for chains ).

It is a maximizing the exercise type of item.

I am going by HD to get some and give it a try and see how it goes.
- I might find out my Tris are not where I think they are...

Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
What do you do for chest?  What do you do for tris?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »
Here is an example of what I do for chest and tris.  I don't do them together.  They are each paired with something else and that other body part is alternated between exercises.  For example Chest-Bis-Chest-Bis and so on. 

Chest - Flat dumbbell press (5x5), incline barbell press (5x5), and flies/pecdec (3x12).

Tris - Close grip bench press (5x5, hands shoulder width-arms completely straight up and done while lying down to get position.) Dips (reps have been everywhere but I keep it high for light sets and up to 5 for heavy sets-5x5 is the idea though) triceps cable push downs with attachment of choice (5x12) and another random Tricep exercise  - either skull crushers or kickbacks usually for 3x12.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2014, 12:28:39 PM »
Sorry on the road for 1.5 days.

Chest day ( all 5x5 ) - Sunday
Flat Around the World
Dumbell Flyes - Flat
Decline Barbell Bench Press
Dumbell Flyes - Incline
Wide-Grip Decline Barbell Pullover

Arms is a short day ( typical schedule ) of 5x5s - Tuesday
Barbell Curls
Bench Dips
Seated Incline Dumbell Curl
Triceps Pushdown - Rope

This is why I was looking at the trying chains next week, to see if it helps with Tri work.

TUE & THUR ( if I am local ) I don't have a lot of time to devote to working out, so I have abbreviated schedules to include CV work.
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
That's an interesting chest workout for sure.  No flat bench-bench press, either dumbbells or barbell?  That's like a staple.  No incline press either?  I'm not judging, I'm just inquiring because its strange that some of the key lifts are left out but different things work for different people.  I'd say keep it pretty simple.  A flat press, an incline press and a fly either on a machine like the pecdec or a just a bench and dumbbells.  Add in anything else you want.  If you do standard dips at all you can leave out decline pressing because it will somewhat accomplish the same thing. 

For tris, the mass and strength builders are your dips and your close grip bench press.  Work around those with whatever else you like.  Rope push downs are good since you already do those.  If you can do standard dips I would say do bench dips.  Two benches.  One for your hands and one for your feet.  Add weight as needed by stacking weight on your legs.  If you can't do either then you may need to start off assisted.  If you don't have access to something for that maybe a band rigged to pull your weight upward from down around your legs if they're bent at a 90.  Just an idea until you build the muscles to get used to the movement.  And for your bis, this was told to me by an IFBB guy at my gym, one of those curls should be rotating curls.  Rotate your hand as you curl the weight.  One of the bicep muscles key jobs is to twist your arm.  If you bend your arm right now at 90° and just rotate your wrist, you will see the ball of your bicep muscle move around.  Adding incline seated rotating dumbbell curls to my working has really improved the look of my bicep.  It has a better peak and i get a crazy pump. 

At the end of the day, do what works for you but don't be afraid to switch it up and see what happens.  If you think you can't do something, try to find a way go start off slow.  I used to think I could do dips now I'm doing 4 plates on a good day.  My girlfriend always said she couldn't do them either and that they hurt her elbows.  She started off slow eventually with assisted and now she's a champ at them.  But know the difference between pain and weakness.  Dont confuse the two.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
I'd have to look up the thread, the flat bench came out of rotation when the flat around the worlds went in.  Some time up the thread you brought those up for shoulders and the flat is a nice overall chest builder, I can notice the lack of strength building it is making up for.
It was just time to swap out flat bench, doing it way too long and I get too much bulk up high on the chest mussels, needed something to flatten them out.
- I already wear a 52L jacket, I don't need to toss those and go for a 54L by increasing the bulk more.

Incline dumbbell press I have on shoulder days now, not sure how it got moved there.
- main on that is chest, WTF was I thinking here.
I am going to check my charts again when I redid them at the around the world time, ~ 30 days ago ??
- Obviously put one on the wrong day, sure there are more.

I switched to bench dips when I had a twinge in my left shoulder some time back on the dip stand.
- After that I had problems carrying my garment bag on my left left shoulder.  Made for strange luggage carrying the 1st trip to SFO after that happened.  Now it is not bothering me, so I am going to stay away for a bit.
The roman chair has the handles on it for doing bench dips to feet on the std bench.
- This is one of the reasons I did not go with the Ironmaster roman chair adapter.

I have a weight vest for adding weight, the type that is over the shoulder with the weight on the chest and back not the more vest like ones where it is around the stomach.

When I check the charts today I am going to swap in those Rotating Dumbbell Curls.
In the past I had the cross over hammer curls, but just moving my around around while reading, it makes more of a difference than hammer curls.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Do you think it would be any better to do this on a preacher stand instead of incline ?
- Thinking about the ability to focus on the rotate more ???

As long as I am going to edit it, this is back day, can you offer some options here as well ?
all 5x5 incremental weight add

V-Bar Pulldown
Seated Cable Row
Standing Dumbbell Upright Row
Lat Pull ( d-ring lat bar )
Shotgun Row

Any input is great, you already gave me a suggested item I think is going to work great and caused me to double check my chart and move one back to the correct day  :clap:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:38:49 AM by sscully »
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_8075.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal