April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: 07 Tahoe  (Read 6966 times)

Offline GeraldRooney

• Café Member
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:05:03 PM by hwm3 »

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
Re: 07 Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
Big difference, great work!

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
Very nice work.

Offline GeraldRooney

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »
Thanks Guys. This was my first true detail job. Decided to buy everything under the sun and get at it. My mom's car was in terrible shape and I spent a good 20plus hours on the thing. I couldn't get some of the deeper scratches out no matter how hard I tried, I figure that I would need something more aggressive than what I had.

This is what I did.

Wash

Nanoskin towel, fine grade and medium grade. This car has never been clayed. And I have no  clue the difference between the fine and medium and could not really feel the difference. Should I have clayed? This puppy was in bad shape. The Nano worked but I really had to work at it.

Tape of the plastic. I hate tape, especially when removing polish that is by it, or when polishing over it. Whats the trick here? :dunno:

Menz Sip1500 using Flex and Orange CCS LC pad on a 5. About 7 passes

Menz FF3000 using Green CCS LC on 4.5. About 4-5 passes

Menz SF4500 using Black CCS LC on 4.5. About 5 passes
IPA 10:1 ratio wipe down
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant using G110v2 on 2.5 using blue CCS LC pad. Let it cure for about 16 hours.

Wet Obsession wax by hand.

Hit the faded trim with some PB Trim Restorer. Great Stuff, gonna try some black wow on my next project and see how they match up.

Shine tires

Deliver it back to Mother after 4 days of work. She was speechless.

I also used some LC Hydro pads. They were ok but would dust on me. Also got out the Megs 105 on the driver side front panel, that had been replaced after a run in with a deer, I could not get out the random scratches and swirls, even bumped the flex up to a 6 and nothing.  :die:

This was my 2nd car to detail. I started off with the Wife's car last week a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (black metallic). I knew that this would be a very difficult test for a novice like myself but I thought I did a good job.

Things I learned from my first detail is one, make sure you tape off all plastic trim and 2, quality mf towels matter.

Thank you Justin for the towels.

Thanks to Doug (Gipraw) for the advice.

Also I have to do my Father's 2007 Black Avalanche next. It is in the same shape. Any suggestions for deeper scratches? Gipraw are you coming to OKC soon I could use a tutorial in wet sanding or maybe I could use some TNT on these cars.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »
Nice work! Looks like it was a heck of a challenge!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
Very nice.  That Tahoe was a huge job to tackle.  I bet your mom was blown away.

What pad did you use with the 105?  A more aggressive pad might help.

Next trip that way for me is homecoming weekend.
================

Doug

Offline GeraldRooney

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
I was using the orange pad and even tried a megs 2.0 maroon.

Offline GeraldRooney

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
I have some more questions for you all.

How do you take care of your hands? mine are dried out like a raisin

Is it normal for your eyes to burn? Should I get some nice safety glasses? Or am I a pussy?

Do the size of the pad/backing plate make a difference? I'm using 6.5 in pads with the backing plate that came with the flex.

Online Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Nice work! Reminds me of a particularly awful GMC Denali XL I did a while back - also in the dreaded black.

As for your question on masking / taping, here's some hints. First, I use only 3M Blue Painter's Tape because it seems to pull off more cleanly. (Looks like you may have used regular masking tape.) Second, I always "over mask." By that I mean that I don't mask the same way I would for a paint job. I actually mask a bit past the trim and onto the painted surface. This totally blocks off the slot / groove / space between the trim pieces that seems to gather product that infuriates you later on.

Hope that helps!

Tom

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

Is it normal for your eyes to burn? Should I get some nice safety glasses? Or am I a pussy?

Do the size of the pad/backing plate make a difference? I'm using 6.5 in pads with the backing plate that came with the flex.

For me, I have taken to wearing Nitrile gloves lately. Seems to save my fingers from drying out. Before that, I would just use the Wife's hand lotion.

I have never had my eyes burn during a detail, is there a particular product you were using that was causing this?

The flex owners may have to chime in, but with my little PC, pad size makes a big difference, I can correct faster with a smaller pad, but that might be just due to the less power it has compared to a Flex. Most like smaller pads because they can get tighter into certain spots and get the pad flat in certain areas where you can't with a larger pad. I think you can go smaller, maybe 5.5"  :dunno:
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
That turned out great, lot of work going on there.

For the hands, I also use Nitrile gloves.  I have been using them for quite some time.
- Get a lot of ribbing when I post a picture with the purple gloves on, but I don't have cracked bleeding hands after I get done and it makes cleaning up hands dirt easy after getting product spread around the pad when priming them.

Eyes, sounds like you could have an issue with the dust created, or you might have gotten splattered / rubbed your face while working ???

Another nice part about gloves, they stop me from wiping under my eye while I am wearing them, forcing me to use a clean towel.  Just a thought.

Steve

Online Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »

For me, I have taken to wearing Nitrile gloves lately. Seems to save my fingers from drying out. Before that, I would just use the Wife's hand lotion.

I have never had my eyes burn during a detail, is there a particular product you were using that was causing this?

The flex owners may have to chime in, but with my little PC, pad size makes a big difference, I can correct faster with a smaller pad, but that might be just due to the less power it has compared to a Flex. Most like smaller pads because they can get tighter into certain spots and get the pad flat in certain areas where you can't with a larger pad. I think you can go smaller, maybe 5.5"  :dunno:

I have both a Flex and a PC 7424 (not the XP) and a DeWalt rotary. I do find the Flex much more powerful than the PC. and the 6.5" pads do cover quite a bit of ground. You are correct in that a PC with a 4" pad will do some fairly serious correction, but it's due to the smaller pad diameter - which can make it take forever to correct large areas. That's why I bought the Flex. I like the extra power and I don't miss not having a smaller pad diameter all that much.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
...<snip>...

Sorry missed this part of the question ( replying off time at SKO in the valley ).

The pad type will make a difference.
- I don't care for the CCS pads, I prefer the flat ones myself.

If you take a look at Tom's thread for him Black boat, he went at it pretty hard with pads ( harder than I would have thought ).

The G6 can have some defects that are buggers to remove also, that is on the older version of Arrival Blue ( marketing name: electric blue metallic ). 
There is one defect I just saw on the back of the roof my the rear window, and this is after OPT cutting pad with OPT Hypercompound, 2 passes.
- Just got a good look at it taking the pictures for the other bo-bo that I had happen.

I don't have this happen with Ford paint, and it seems harder to mar my Dark Stone F150 than her G6
- Seems like it should be the other way, harder to remove would lead one to think harder to mar  :dunno:
Steve

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »
Nice turn around, that thing looks awesome! Lots of paint to cover there for sure!
LD

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 05:38:29 PM »
I am late to this party, looks really nice, great turn around.

Well done!!

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

Grapes

Views: 3
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal