Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: LC Purple Foam Wool Pad - cleaning  (Read 11229 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
LC Purple Foam Wool Pad - cleaning
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
Wanted to find out what you guys do for cleaning between panels & at the end.
- I have the "nasty oxidation RV" in process, and I think I am going to be either orange pad or PFW with PB Master cut to get some movement on it.

Wanted to see what you guys use for cleaning between panels Spur or Air ?

At the end of the section, do you wash them as you would a foam pad ?
- I wash them like the Optimum MF pads, not the foam pads if standard cleaning is the route you guys use.

I have not had something this bad on PFW pads, so cleaning is going to be a big item while I am doing this.

Just wanted to see the suggest method, as what I have done in the past might not be the best, and with the little bit I had used them, it is no comparison to what I am going to be doing.
Steve

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »

Wanted to find out what you guys do for cleaning between panels & at the end.
- I have the "nasty oxidation RV" in process, and I think I am going to be either orange pad or PFW with PB Master cut to get some movement on it.

Wanted to see what you guys use for cleaning between panels Spur or Air ?

I'm assuming you're referring to the regular PFW and not the new thin ones.  I usually use a brush, and if that isn't getting the job done then it's a sign I need to swap out for a clean one (or clean on the fly using a pad washer).

At the end of the section, do you wash them as you would a foam pad ?
- I wash them like the Optimum MF pads, not the foam pads if standard cleaning is the route you guys use.

I usually soak mine in a bucket with DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator, agitate in the bucket, rinse, and lay out to dry.
I have washed them in the washer before and dried them on delicate at low heat and they turned out really nice.  Though, this probably isn't recommended...

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
Re: LC Purple Foam Wool Pad - cleaning
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
Also, for cleaning foam pads on the fly, try using a bug scrubber sponge.  They work wonders!  I haven't tried it yet on PFW though, but I will today.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »

I'm assuming you're referring to the regular PFW and not the new thin ones.  I usually use a brush, and if that isn't getting the job done then it's a sign I need to swap out for a clean one (or clean on the fly using a pad washer).

Good question, I did not see a new PFW released, so I missed that.
The ones I have now are ~ 1" thick. 
See what they have when I order supplies this week, if I am getting the same ones or a new version PFW pad. :dunno:

Figure if I tried my pad brush that I would shred them.  I can use that on the MF pads without much issue ( if I lean into it too much, it starts to shred them ).

I have the Yellow bug sponges, but I got one of the CG pad brushes on special one time, and I love this over the bug sponge. 

I usually soak mine in a bucket with DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator, agitate in the bucket, rinse, and lay out to dry.
I have washed them in the washer before and dried them on delicate at low heat and they turned out really nice.  Though, this probably isn't recommended...

Nothing really different than a foam or MF pad then.

I do the washboard with LC Snappy pad cleaner for the MF & PFW pads right now.
- I peeled the face off a MF pad using my grit guard pad washer and the rotary like foam pads.
Steve

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
See what they have when I order supplies this week, if I am getting the same ones or a new version PFW pad. :dunno:

The new Thin Purple Foamed Wool (let's just call them TPFW) can be used with a DA, but I find they also work very nicely on a rotary.  My favorite combination is the 3" TPFW, LC 3" BP, and an extension (or two) on my FLEX PE14.

Figure if I tried my pad brush that I would shred them.  I can use that on the MF pads without much issue ( if I lean into it too much, it starts to shred them ).

Definitely don't want to lean into them too much.  I had one of the TPFWs delaminate on me while brushing it (I was likely using too much pressure).  Man did that thing go!  I contacted Eric at LC and he sent me out three replacements!  What a guy!!

I have the Yellow bug sponges, but I got one of the CG pad brushes on special one time, and I love this over the bug sponge. 

That's a nice brush!  This is the brush I use:

Image was borrowed from ADS - not sure if we can link here...

Where the bug sponges really shine is with CarPro Denim Orange Peel Removal Pads!

Nothing really different than a foam or MF pad then.

I do the washboard with LC Snappy pad cleaner for the MF & PFW pads right now.
- I peeled the face off a MF pad using my grit guard pad washer and the rotary like foam pads.

Correct, not much difference at all.  I also had a Megs MF pad delaminate on me in the washer once. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
I use air baby...

its now part of my process especially when using the MF pads.   

Every section I do, I fluff with air 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
I use the same brush as EricHaley. I find it works really well with the MF pads, but you have to be really careful on foam pads with a DA. On a rotary it seams to be fine with foam pads.

Sometimes with a Orange LC pad and M105, I prefer just a cheap MF to clean between panels. If it gets caked, I just swap out for another one.

For cleaning, I'm just a dawn in the sink kind of guy works for me. I give them a spin on the pc and let them air dry.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
I use air baby...

its now part of my process especially when using the MF pads.   

Every section I do, I fluff with air

Air just like the MF pads, I like the sounds of that. 
- I might be a bit too ham fist'd to use my pad brush on the PFW pads. 

Air has become such an integral part to detailing for me, started with the Z-020 sprayer, then the Z-017 vac head and with the Optimum MF pads, that  it is one of the things I get going when I am getting equipment out for a detail.
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 04:05:13 PM »
The new Thin Purple Foamed Wool (let's just call them TPFW) can be used with a DA, but I find they also work very nicely on a rotary.  My favorite combination is the 3" TPFW, LC 3" BP, and an extension (or two) on my FLEX PE14.

Well look at that, new Wool pad.   :wow:
Thanks for the lead on that, had not seen it yet.

Definitely don't want to lean into them too much.  I had one of the TPFWs delaminate on me while brushing it (I was likely using too much pressure).  Man did that thing go!  I contacted Eric at LC and he sent me out three replacements!  What a guy!!

OK, I think I stick with air for cleaning on the fly like MF pads.  I learned my lesson early on with the OPT MF pads.

That's a nice brush!  This is the brush I use:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-41771694353694_2273_41880249

Image was borrowed from ADS - not sure if we can link here...

Not an issue, this is not Max and his lap dog's site :redneck:

Correct, not much difference at all.  I also had a Megs MF pad delaminate on me in the washer once.

Is that washer as in clothes washer or a pad washer like the LC pad washer ?
I was looking a few months back, to see if I should change my Gritguard pad washer to the LC one, but I think I am the only one that uses an actual pad washer.  Most are washing machine / sink / bucket cleaning.  I did the LC snappy pad cleaning solution in the bucket for too long, and after getting the GG pad washer, I kick myself for not investing the money  ~decade ago.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 05:46:21 PM »
When I'm using PFW, I use a spurring tool every panel or so. When they get too bad to spur, I change them out. (And I have the older "thick" PFW pads.)

As for cleaning them when I'm done, I toss them in the washer and dryer. Of course if I had a wife watching over me, that would never happen.

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »
Is that washer as in clothes washer or a pad washer like the LC pad washer ?

In the delamination case, it was in the washing machine. 
I find the Grit Guard pad washer to be a nice thing to have around, but in my case, it's complete overkill.

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
Here are some pictures of the new TPFW pads:

5.25" TPFW left, 3" TPFW right, 4" original PFW middle:

4" original PFW left, 3" TPFW right:

Compared with 3" Hydrotech and Meguiar's Microfiber Finishing Disc:

Ready for action!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »
Going to have to check those out when the sites I use get them in stock.
Steve

Offline EricHaley

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
I recently discovered a method that helps restore the PFW pads closer to their original state... Shampoo.

That's right, good ol' Head and Shoulders 2 in 1...

While it didn't restore them to like-new condition, it helped considerably!  They longer look like a shag carpet that's been through a tornado.

Just make sure to wash out the compound first. This is more of a follow-up step, not a replacement wash method. 

Next up:  Tangle-free shampoo...

* Recent Photos

IMG_0013.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal