1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Bikers, need some help  (Read 7542 times)

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Bikers, need some help
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
After much contemplation, I've decided that I want to buy myself a new bike when I get back from Afghan. I want a Triathlon bike. I've been wanting to get started on Tri's for some time, just haven't had the gear to really do it.

From what I gather, they're very pricey. I'm ok with spending some coin if I get the right equipment. What I don't know is what all of the various components are really worth. I read a lot about X brand is better and X line of whatever is best. Honestly, I'm just looking for something that will last me and not hard fail on a century ride.

What id really like is a frame thats nice and aero and light, something I could upgrade later if I wanted.

Anybody with experience? I know we have some roadies on here, what about tri's?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Bikers, need some help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
you want a time trail specific bike?   They are not comfortable to ride all day and train on.  Why note get a road bike and put tri drops on it when you want to go areo?

Specialized, Trek and Cervelo all make tri bikes...

On our group rides we do not allow anyone on tri bikes to ride in the drops.  Its not safe in a group ride.   

Things to think about

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/transition    2200 bucks

or this   http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/shiv/shiveliteapexmidcompact     1500 bucks

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/triathlon/speed_concept_7_series/speed_concept_7_0/#

2700 bucks.   

http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/p-series/p2.html

2600 bucks   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »
J. I've got a road bike now that I use to train, but looking for a straight aero. They also have a different position which uses different muscle groups to save your legs for the run (from what I've read.)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:00:17 PM »
J. I've got a road bike now that I use to train, but looking for a straight aero. They also have a different position which uses different muscle groups to save your legs for the run (from what I've read.)

No question, tri/multi sport/time trial bikes have different geometry...I was just suggesting an option as most guys I know that do multi sports have multiple bikes.  If you already have a road bike then by all means get a TT bike.   

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »

No question, tri/multi sport/time trial bikes have different geometry...I was just suggesting an option as most guys I know that do multi sports have multiple bikes.  If you already have a road bike then by all means get a TT bike.

Can you dumb down the various parts? I don't get why different sets are supposedly better than others. My roadie has low end Shimano gear and its ok, not great.

Is there a ranking list somewhere with specs?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »

Can you dumb down the various parts? I don't get why different sets are supposedly better than others. My roadie has low end Shimano gear and its ok, not great.

Is there a ranking list somewhere with specs?

The drive train is almost the same pending the cassette in the back based on race.  Some guys run 11-23 or 12-25 or 12-27. (and that is also based on DuraAce vs Ultegra, vs SRAM.   

Don't know how old your road bike is, but if its an 8 speed your cassette will be very different than modern TT's   

The Geo is the main thing.   I much prefer Specialized.    But if you don't buy from someone who doesn't know how to fit you properly it won't matter.   Fit is much more important on a TT than a RB. 

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, J. I'm going to some bike shops while were in town to check some out. I like the Specialized Shiv and the Cervelo P2. Not sure about the Trek because they do S M L XL sizing now. The shiv has a built in water source which is pretty cool. All of them have cool gadgets on board which would save me some headache.

Not sure what size I need but I'm thinking I need a 58 cause I'm so lanky.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »
Got on my first Tri today. Inside on the trainer cause its raining so much right now. It was the Cervelo P2. He grabbed a 54 at first but it just felt wrong. The 56 was a little better. Might be going to another shop this afternoon to try the Trek and hopefully Specialized.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
Got on my first Tri today. Inside on the trainer cause its raining so much right now. It was the Cervelo P2. He grabbed a 54 at first but it just felt wrong. The 56 was a little better. Might be going to another shop this afternoon to try the Trek and hopefully Specialized.

go to bikes inc.....or I will ban you from the cafe.   

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »

Haha. I bought my road bike from the Arlington store years ago. I went there yesterday but they only had an aluminum Trek and two small Transitions. The Hurst store had a SC 7.5 and 7.8 in my size but no staff to help me. Still planning a trip to Southlake if I can make it!

I'm digging the Cervelo though. With some better wheels I think itd be a killer.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »

Haha. I bought my road bike from the Arlington store years ago. I went there yesterday but they only had an aluminum Trek and two small Transitions. The Hurst store had a SC 7.5 and 7.8 in my size but no staff to help me. Still planning a trip to Southlake if I can make it!

I'm digging the Cervelo though. With some better wheels I think itd be a killer.

wish I knew you were going to Hurst...Ian or Russ is who I would talk to.   Go See RICK DAMN IT...I will ban your ass if you don't. 

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal