1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: ***This will be my general process*** please advise.  (Read 5261 times)

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
***This will be my general process*** please advise.
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
So, this will be my first time trying this type of task, and this will be my process.  PLEASE, chime in and give me direction where needed.

I feel that I'm between 95-99% in the right direction.

1. washing vehicle using the 2-bucket method (that I read here on the forum, never used this method, which I think is good technique).
2. Claybar vehicle using (mild-light) type of claybar, & detailer spray.
3. Polishing vehicle using some type of cutting polish, (many on this board like the MG 105/205 products, PLEASE advise me in this area.
4.Wax/sealant lastly. Obsessive detail just sent me some Wet obsession wax, which I'm chomping at the bits to use.

does this sound ok, I realize that step 3 is very important and critical thus, more research will be done on my part  in this area.

anyone please advise.

Over! :moody:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:32:21 AM by Oklahoma »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: ***This will be my general process*** please advise.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »
For the general process, you've got it right. It's the details (no pun intended) that are important now. Here's a few thoughts:

1) Make sure you use lots of clay lubricant. If you don't, you risk introducing new marring to the paint surface.

2) If you drop the clay, toss it in the can.

3) Your Step #3 is gloriously over-simplified. Polishing is a actually a multi-step process with different products and different pads (and even machines) depending on how bad things are. You want to start with the least aggressive product / pad / machine first to see what effects you get. But then, you really want to step back down the aggressiveness scale to get the best finish. (Think of it as being somewhat like sanding where you step down in grit from 80 to 120 to 220 to 400 to 1000, etc.

4) For LSPs, make sure you apply and remove it with proper products. I always use a clean foam applicator to apply and a borderless microfiber to remove them. (And if you drop it, toss it in the wash.) The reason this is important is that you will have just finished perfecting the surface. You don't want to mess it back up.

5) Always have a good supply of liquid refreshment handy for a full detail job. Not only is hydration important from a physical standpoint, but it may make the job go easier - if you know what I mean.

Tom

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:42:12 AM »
I'll add this. Don't be afraid. Way back in the day when our very own RollingRock got me introduced to this game, I was absolutely terrified to screw up my paint. He taught me that by using the proper tools and methods, it really isn't all that hard to not screw it up. And a caveat to that - if you're not getting the results you want, step back and think it through. Maybe a different pad or product would get what you need. That part comes more from experience and we'd all be glad to help out there.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
There's an old saying that goes like this: "Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from making mistakes." As long as you're not using a rotary with a wool pad and Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, you won't make a mistake big enough to worry about. You'll just learn something. Like Tony said, go for it!

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »
Thanks guys, (TooStroked) yes, I get what you mean about step #3. 

I realize the (detail) importance in this area.

Again,

Thanks fellas.

Hopefully, next week or so, I'll have my new Rupes and I'll then have a chance to try some things out.

Today at work while on break, I was casually thinking about  nothing and looking at our work truck.  Then it dawned on me, this vehicle will be my testing ground, LOL!

Yep! that way just in case.  :redneck:

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »

Today at work while on break, I was casually thinking about  nothing and looking at our work truck.  Then it dawned on me, this vehicle will be my testing ground, LOL!

Don't laugh. Work trucks are a great place to practice. If you look in the Detailing Gallery, you'll find a whole bunch of red Super Duty trucks owned by a friend of mine. Not only do I have his permission to work on them any time I want, but he pays for everything I do. The basic theory is that no matter what you do, you can't screw them up any worse.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »
...<snip>...

If you have the option, go for it.

The HP'mobile was the test case for the clay replacement towels and the all in one decontaminate and poly LSP.  I only had it ~ 5 months, but worst case I was only going to have it another 12 months had I stuck around.
Steve

* Recent Photos

Dash

Views: 5
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal