April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: ****Detailing School/Class****  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
****Detailing School/Class****
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
I'm posting this thread prematurely, oh well, let the ribbing commence.

I'm thinking I maybe need a detail class, or something of the sort, do they exist?  If so, besides reviews, how can a person determine the quality of the class/course?

Or, if anyone lives near me, I have no probs working out a payment plan to be schooled in the art of correct detailing/paint correction.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
Re: ****Detailing School/Class****
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »
ok, I found all I need on google.

This thread can be deleted, didn't mean to waste anyones time.

Sorry. :dunno:

:beat:

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
I found this online, going to copy and read critically.

Please don't read this entire file but, if anyone wants to give it a quicksy once over and give me your thoughts (do's and dont's) I'd appreciate all feedback.

Thanks,

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.cohen1/Detailing_Hand_Book.pdf

ok, I printed and read the material, pretty much general info, (has to be cause even I knew it) lol.

Needless to say, don't bother reading it, you won't get anything from it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:49:41 PM by Oklahoma »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »
You might want to check out our thread on "Common Detailing Problems and Their Solutions" for something to think about too.

http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?topic=2701.msg27412#msg27412
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:41:40 PM by Too Stroked »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
....<snip>...

Awe, come on.  I found out I should be using Armor All diluted 2:1 to detail my wheel wells.

All this I was using Optimum Wipe on Walk away sealant on them, didn't know I should just hose them down with Armor All  :wow:
 :redneck:

I glossed over it, the "before & After" pictures in the engine detailing section, they were 2 different cars.

There might have been some valid info in there ( somewhere ) but I actually read was questionable.  The author also thinks Mike Phillips walks on water; he is the king of cannot give a straight answer, and still a megs fan boy.
Steve

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
....<snip>...

Awe, come on.  I found out I should be using Armor All diluted 2:1 to detail my wheel wells.

All this I was using Optimum Wipe on Walk away sealant on them, didn't know I should just hose them down with Armor All  :wow:
 :redneck:

I glossed over it, the "before & After" pictures in the engine detailing section, they were 2 different cars.

There might have been some valid info in there ( somewhere ) but I actually read was questionable.  The author also thinks Mike Phillips walks on water; he is the king of cannot give a straight answer, and still a megs fan boy.

Sscully,

Thanks for the feedback, what did you think of the process (steps) used in the article? They are actually the only steps I have found.

Also, I'm reading some really great info on this board also.  Have you ever used prepsol for stripping purposes?  I remember reading in here somewhere that claybar does just as good.

What do you use, if any?

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
Sscully,

Thanks for the feedback, what did you think of the process (steps) used in the article? They are actually the only steps I have found....<snip>...

I did not read them that far.  I gave up when the dope put forth that Chemical Polish is paint cleaner / pre-wax cleaner.
- along with the numerous pictures of "after" that are taken on an overcast day, which can be good from far, far from good on paint condition.

Obviously he does not understand them at all.  PB Pro Polish is a chemical polish ( no break down ) that does defect removal.  PP2 is a similar chemical base with some mechanical properties ( something to break down ) that is for more serious defect removal.  I can say, without issue, PP is not just a paint cleaner.

...<snip>...Also, I'm reading some really great info on this board also.  Have you ever used prepsol for stripping purposes?  I remember reading in here somewhere that claybar does just as good.

What do you use, if any?

Starting with stripping what.  If you are taking carnauba wax, just wait 15 to 30 days in the summer, it will just about all be gone on a dark vehicle.  Anything that is left, a "follow up polish" ( i.e. PP & black pad ) would remove. 

If you are doing defect removal with polish or a compound the surface is bare.  To get a defect out, you are removing clear coat, which means any LSP is also gone.  Heavier polishing or compounding will remove perm paint coatings.

I use Griot's Garage Pre Wax cleaner when I am applying Opti Coat 2.0.  I cannot find who he has make this, but Amazon has it cheap enough by the gal.  If it is not O.C 2.0, I don't bother ( not even with Opti Seal ).  Just not worth the slightly longer sealant duration for the time spent.

I am one that once I clay ( or clay substitute towel / pad ) I always do at least a follow up polish.  Clay will put some marring on the paint, how much depends on the technique and how bad the paint is.

Detailing was explained to me in wood working terms decade + ago. 
Clay is like rough sanding a project, you start out with 120 or 180 grit, and then work up to 320 ( follow up / final polish ) before you put the stain / poly finish on it ( LSP ).   
You never try to go from 60 grit right to 320 grit. 

If you skimp on the sanding steps, you can use the most expensive stain or poly, the project is not going to look it's best. 
If you are just coating down something to use outside, and only care about the function, not the finish then that is OK.  That is a case of just wash and wax.  It will protect the paint, just won't look the best.

Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 07:08:32 AM »
Prepsol is like using IPA to do a wipe down before waxing or sealing.  It works well but not really worth the cost.  It will remove any fillers from polishes that were left behind to make sure you actually corrected the paint rather than just hid everything temporarily.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »
Thanks u guys, thinking I'm going to stay away from the prepsol....

And to think, A guy at a paint n  body shop spoke highly of it.  I wonder now if it's because he wanted more of my business.

:(

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »
Thanks u guys, thinking I'm going to stay away from the prepsol....

And to think, A guy at a paint n  body shop spoke highly of it.  I wonder now if it's because he wanted more of my business.

:(

There is nothing bad about it, just a case of why to use it.

A lot of people over @ Optimum forums use that for cleaning before applying Opti Coat 2.0 or the Pro version of the perm paint coating.  Then again, about as many use an IPA wipe down before application of OC 2.0.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 07:52:14 PM »
you don't need school for this stuff...you need us or better yet, drive your butt down here to Fort Worth and we'll get your taken care of.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Oklahoma

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
you don't need school for this stuff...you need us or better yet, drive your butt down here to Fort Worth and we'll get your taken care of.

That's what I like hearing,  :redneck:

Don't temp me, I would love to take a trip to Funky town, to get any lessons.  :redneck:

Second thought, I could hit up all the golfing courses I used to play at while down there.

I be in touch.  :cool:

* Recent Photos

Tire

Views: 1
By: GreyMichFX4

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal