Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Really quick stupid question.  (Read 4867 times)

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
Really quick stupid question.
« on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »
So I am working on one of my cars tonight and have a quick question that some may be stupid. I have done my compound and my polish, and am wanting to put a coat of #21 on, but it is supposed to rain tonight and my car is only under a carport. My question is, can I go ahead and put it on considering the car won't get directly rained on during the curing process, or should I wait till the rain is over? It's going to be here for 2 days, by the way.
JRod

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Re: Really quick stupid question.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:42:30 AM »
I would wait personally, then maybe do a wash and an IPA wipe down once the rain is gone.

:dunno:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »
Too late to be useful, but if you had carnauba wax, I would have put that on before the rain, if it was hitting in under 12 hours.

Water spots on unprotected paint just give me the chills. 

The carnauba wax might not have reached full cure ( for something like #26 ) but it would give the water spots something to work on, and polish off easy enough.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
The other thing you want to think about is the fact that you have a well corrected / polished - but unprotected - surface sitting there overnight. Like Steve said, I'd be real tempted to put something on to both protect it from whatever overnight, and the cleaning before the next coat the next day. If you do an IPA wipe down, make sure to do it with a clean, soft microfiber so as not to reintroduce new marring.

Ah, black paint. Aaargh!  :moody:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 07:47:59 PM »
I would have just put anything on it.  A crappy wax job is better than no wax at all.   It really, as long as you address the situation in a timely manner you have nothing to worry about.  Clean it up again like mentioned above or even just give it another quick wash.  I'd probably use something like PB Spray and Wipe or similar product.  Maybe ONR.  Then wax it. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

IMG_8071.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal