March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Confused by MF towels  (Read 2927 times)

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Confused by MF towels
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »
So I see a lot of the same things when looking at towels, and frankly I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.

I understand the 80/20 or 70/30 or whatever split, and I get the weights for thickness. What I don't get is how one towel which looks exactly the same as another towel at a different place can cost twice or more than the other.

I know everybody has their favorites. I haven't found mine yet. For the longest time I was using the 1.19$ towels from ADS for a lot of my grunt work, and some nicer towels that I can't remember where I got for finish work.

Can somebody help shine light on this, or do I just need to order a bunch until I find some that fit my needs and my price point?

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
Re: Confused by MF towels
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:18:51 PM »
A lot of towels may look exactly the same, but most of the time they aren't.  I've learned a lot of information about microfibers over the years from different suppliers,wholesalers,etc......

There are quite a few companies out there that will find a towel that appeals to them and actually order the towel and then send the towels overseas and pretty much have the towel copied. The towel will look the same, but most of the time it will not be the same quality.  It might not be as soft, it might now absorb as well, etc....

I have seen this happen personally.  There is a towel that I actually had made a few years ago, within about 6 months I had found out that 2 other companies had a similar towel (very similar) and I know for sure it was not ordered from my wholesaler.  After talking to my suppliers, I found out this is a common thing.  This actually happens with all kinds of things, it is very common for things to be copied, you just have to make sure that the quality is the same.

I always guarantee the top quality with all of our microfiber products.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
I just noticed that we both have the exact same number of posts! 

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »
A lot of towels may look exactly the same, but most of the time they aren't.  I've learned a lot of information about microfibers over the years from different suppliers,wholesalers,etc......

There are quite a few companies out there that will find a towel that appeals to them and actually order the towel and then send the towels overseas and pretty much have the towel copied. The towel will look the same, but most of the time it will not be the same quality.  It might not be as soft, it might now absorb as well, etc....

I have seen this happen personally.  There is a towel that I actually had made a few years ago, within about 6 months I had found out that 2 other companies had a similar towel (very similar) and I know for sure it was not ordered from my wholesaler.  After talking to my suppliers, I found out this is a common thing.  This actually happens with all kinds of things, it is very common for things to be copied, you just have to make sure that the quality is the same.

I always guarantee the top quality with all of our microfiber products.

Justin,

That makes sense. I know you aren't one of those guys, but who is to say who is? You know? I'm just a research whore and spend more time learning about stuff than I do actually using it. And this is one of those things that has me stumped.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:57 PM »
I find there is a lot of hype around some towels. 

I did a write up in the Towel section on what is to be the same ( towel to towel ) between Justin's thick towels and the version from Chemical Guys.

When it comes down to it, the Chemical guys version ( of what is to be the same towel ) is complete junk.  They make it sound good, but it is no where near the same towel Justin has.

The cheaper by the box ones from ADS I love ( sorry Justin ).  I have different color towels for paint and door jambs, so I do not confuse them.  Detailed Image also sells ( from what I can tell side by side ) the same towel, but different alternate colors.  Having the same Nap on both sides I like for removing compound / polish and for the price I have a pile of them, and don't have to worry about running out of them.

The other ones I have are the DMTs from Poorboys, they are nice towels, but 2 different naps.  The lower nap ( for me ) seems to work better removing compound / polish vs the higher nap which seems to work great for removing Natty's & Menz Power Lock.

Just something to keep in mind.  I would suggest staying away from the A-sites towels, their brand can be real junk, and if you get a "kit" with a towel, plan on tossing it in the trash ( one of the waffle ones did not even pick up spilled coffee off the garage floor, just pushed it around )
Steve

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:20 PM »
Thanks for the input. I have no doubts about Justin's towels. If he wasn't in it for the passion of good products and good work, he wouldn't be here after all would he? (Or the other vendors here for that matter.)

I like your method of stacking the cheapies to blow through for grunge work, then have a nice supply of good stuff like Justin's towels for the finer points.

Any more feedback is appreciated guys.

* Recent Photos

fr_295.jpg

Views: 1
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal