Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Wash mitt or grout sponge  (Read 7006 times)

Offline beatcop49

• Café Member
Wash mitt or grout sponge
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »
I need opinions.  I'm using ONR right now, and currently using a wash mitt and the 2 bucket method.

If you use ONR, who uses a mitt or a grout sponge, and what is your reason for using one, over the other...or do you use another washing media?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Wash mitt or grout sponge
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:54:04 PM »
I need opinions.  I'm using ONR right now, and currently using a wash mitt and the 2 bucket method.

If you use ONR, who uses a mitt or a grout sponge, and what is your reason for using one, over the other...or do you use another washing media?

Kind of a judgement call and logical call.    If you are using ONR for light dusting, either is fine.

I prefer to use a Lake Grout for ONR but if its in need for a full on wash I use MF mitt.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »
I kind of prefer the microfiber mitts.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »
For ONR, I am a LC Blue Grout sponge for the upper parts, and the lower parts I use a grout sponge with cubes cut in it or the Aqua sponge ( lowes / amazon ). 
I have been through 2 grout sponges with cubes cut in it ( like the LC sponge ) and like the Aqua sponge better.  When it is soaked in ONR it feels softer than a grout sponge. 
- That is SOTP dyno work in that statement ( i.e. subjective ).

Sponges seem to hold a nice amount of ONR mix, and it is rigid in nature, so I am not rolling it around on the paint.
Each swipe I know is in one direction with no other movements on the paint
- Where with the wash mittt I am too stupid, and might have it rolling around or making other movements on the paint I don't want.

The other item is I am better at washing a sponge out on the pail pal dirt dropper ( can also use a plastic wash board or a plastic 1 gal paint can screen for this ) in the rinse bucket.  I know I am cleaning the side I use had against the paint, before I flip it over and take 2 swipes on the "back" before rinsing it out and going back into the ONR bucket.

I am more concerned about a good 2nd bucket rinsing of the ONR wash media than I am of a standard wash.  With the foam cannon and rinse before foaming each section as I wash, I figure I am getting more of the nasty stuff off.  ONR I am doing everything in my power to make sure the dirt that is encapsulated in the ONR product, is not making a repeat performance back on the paint.  That is just me, trying to be careful with what I am doing.

Tried the Optimum sponge, that holds too much mix for me, I would go through 4 buckets of ONR mix to clean the truck if I did that regularly.

Justin has some nice thick towels I will use when doing an ONR QD on the Opticoat 2.0 surfaces.
I mix up a bottle of 14:1 solution spray down the Opticoated panel and soak the Towel, and off I go.   Never tried them as ONR wash media, for the cleaning notes above.
- When doing the ONR QD I use the towel in half, and only use each "surface" on one section, so it takes 1 side of a towel to do the roof, the other 2 halves of the other side to do the roof of the cap, next towel 1 side's 2 halves to do the sides of the cap, and other side for the tailgate.
If I go to the lower rockets, that is another towel.

Std wash, sheepskin wash mitt for the upper parts, and the lower parts, the MF "dreadlock" mitt from Poorboys World.

I have not tried w/ ONR, one of the new Grout sponges at the store with MF on one side.  Don't think this is a good option for paint, that is more final clean up of grout haze off the tile. 
- They work great on 12x24 tiles though  :redneck:
Steve

* Recent Photos

IMG_5147.JPG

Views: 3
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal