April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Project Super Duty  (Read 111990 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Project Super Duty
« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2014, 10:22:02 PM »
Hmmm, I hate problems like this. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to lubricate the Slider Pins?

I used Permatex "Brake Caliper Lube". I didn't use anti-seize or something like that.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Hmmm, I hate problems like this. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to lubricate the Slider Pins?

I used Permatex "Brake Caliper Lube". I didn't use anti-seize or something like that.

I figured you'd use the correct stuff! I have a friend who swears that you absolutely must use Never Seize - and he couldn't be more wrong. Of course he only drives his truck about 3,000 miles per year, so his incorrectly lubricated sliders never set up.  :moody:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
DId I miss it or did you say you are running Motocraft rotors? 

I was not able to buy for the front when I replaced...already warped.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure they are original. I never had to swap them when I did the brakes. They measured well within spec and straight as can be.

I don't think the previous owner really towed anything and these brakes seem to last forever. After 40k miles the front are at 95% and the rears at 85% (therefore the earlier dilemma of trying to figure out what's up).

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #259 on: November 10, 2014, 01:18:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure they are original. I never had to swap them when I did the brakes. They measured well within spec and straight as can be.

I don't think the previous owner really towed anything and these brakes seem to last forever. After 40k miles the front are at 95% and the rears at 85% (therefore the earlier dilemma of trying to figure out what's up).

'yeah odd that is the case on the percents of front vs back.  I kept my fronts, I may put them back on.   

We did "project reduce weight" on our 5er over the past 2 weekends.  We removed at most, 1000lbs of stuff we don't need or don't use....

I am a little worn out on taking 3 grills, 3 stoves, 2 10X10 pop up shades, 2 extra 30 ft 30 amp power cables, 2 30 ft 50 amp cables, 6 water hoses, 4 propane lanterns, 10 tarps, yes I said 10 tarps and lots more.   Looking forward to pulling the 5er this Thursday after taking all dumb weight out.   

Net is, scratching head as to why rears are more worn than fronts. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »
That drop in weight will make a difference in towing for sure!

I've been searching and can't really find anyone that has the same issue with the rears doing more work. I may pull out the bleed kit and do a good bleed again in case there is air somewhere in the front system.

It does seem to brake well and didn't have any issues over the weekend and I heated up the brakes a few times on the hills throughout.  :dunno:

It sucks not knowing the cause, but I'm going to have to let it ride for now...

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #261 on: November 12, 2014, 08:57:49 PM »
Brakes still good!

Since I attempted to "repair" the heating element of the driver's seat twice and it failed, I figured I would just order the whole element and replace it.

Since we had yesterday off and the element came in, I tackled it yesterday. Other than those dang "bull rings" that hold the leather to the cushion, it was straight forward.

No pics, I didn't even think about them till I had the seat back in the truck. But my toasty warm a** knows it now works!  :nana:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »
If anyone needs pictures of that I have them from my truck and installing aftermarket heaters in the Mrs' G6 and the back seat of my truck ( the two outside positions, center rear has nothing ).
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »
If anyone needs pictures of that I have them from my truck and installing aftermarket heaters in the Mrs' G6 and the back seat of my truck ( the two outside positions, center rear has nothing ).

I was looking at a 2011 F150 Limited and was surprised to see the rear seats heated, pretty cool.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Well as suspected, the brakes locked up again. Also had to happen as I was in the middle of fricken moving :moody:

So since I have a garage now, I made use of it. I went and bought 4 new calipers, rear rotors and read pads. Front rotors and pads are still in great shape, surprising as they took a beating. I found one of the two pistons seized on the two front calipers and one sized piston on the right rear. The 4th caliper was good, but since I was in there, I just wanted to swap them all. Bleed them out and got back to moving. I had it all done in less than 2 hrs, so I was happy with that since I had to find tools, etc.

Not too sure why the calipers would give me such grief after being less than two years old.  :dunno: I just wasn't happy about dropping another G on brakes. All well, let's just hope these brake issues stop now...get it...stop... :funny:

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #265 on: December 12, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with who built - or remanufactured - the parts and the process they used. All automotive manufacturers lean on their suppliers pretty hard for year over year "productivity improvements." In plain English, that translates into "price reductions." This isn't always a bad thing in that it helps keep the price of the vehicles down. On the other hand, sometimes it shows up as poor quality down the road. And as long as it rears it's ugly head once the vehicle is out of the factory warranty, the manufacturers don't worry too much.

Getting back to brake calipers, I've seen some truly awful remanufactured units. One lasted such a short period of time - one week - that I simply had to pull it apart before returning it. It appeared that all they did was media blast the outside surfaces, add a new bleeder valve and then slap it into a box. The caliper bore and piston were pretty much solid rust. Needless to say I bought a new one.

As for the OEM units, we have the same problem with the plowing fleet of SD's. We always put brand new Ford OEM calipers on, but they seem to last a couple of years and crap out. Yup, that's a productivity improvement ! But where you live, I would think they should last a bit longer.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #266 on: December 12, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
2 hours?   Damn...that is impressive.

Or is 2 hours code for 6 hours and a case of beer?

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #267 on: December 13, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with who built - or remanufactured - the parts and the process they used. All automotive manufacturers lean on their suppliers pretty hard for year over year "productivity improvements." In plain English, that translates into "price reductions." This isn't always a bad thing in that it helps keep the price of the vehicles down. On the other hand, sometimes it shows up as poor quality down the road. And as long as it rears it's ugly head once the vehicle is out of the factory warranty, the manufacturers don't worry too much.

Getting back to brake calipers, I've seen some truly awful remanufactured units. One lasted such a short period of time - one week - that I simply had to pull it apart before returning it. It appeared that all they did was media blast the outside surfaces, add a new bleeder valve and then slap it into a box. The caliper bore and piston were pretty much solid rust. Needless to say I bought a new one.

As for the OEM units, we have the same problem with the plowing fleet of SD's. We always put brand new Ford OEM calipers on, but they seem to last a couple of years and crap out. Yup, that's a productivity improvement ! But where you live, I would think they should last a bit longer.

I agree 100%. It is pretty sad though, considering how important brakes are. I ended up going with a different re-manufacturer this time around (AC Delco...Yes GM), to see if they are any better. We will see!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #268 on: December 13, 2014, 09:00:47 PM »
2 hours?   Damn...that is impressive.

Or is 2 hours code for 6 hours and a case of beer?

Thanks Jason, I have extensive brake swapping and bleeding experience :bart:

No beer this time around, it was at the old place and made for a less pleasant experience :cheers:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #269 on: December 14, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
I never hesitate to buy ACDelco and always feel pretty comfortable using them. 

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

IMG_3440.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal