1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Project Super Duty  (Read 110744 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Project Super Duty
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2014, 08:18:42 AM »
Now are you going to keep it ?

You went through the engine and drive line / suspension with a fine tooth comb and with all new fluids it is good to go for some time.

Even with the money you put put into  it ( and wet sanding the tailgate  :slow: ) I think it is safe to say you have a better than new truck for a very reasonable amount.

Steve,

Truth be told, he did all of that work so it would be ready to donate to me. Remember, it is Oxford White.  :funny:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2014, 08:33:18 AM »
Now are you going to keep it ?

You went through the engine and drive line / suspension with a fine tooth comb and with all new fluids it is good to go for some time.

Even with the money you put put into  it ( and wet sanding the tailgate  :slow: ) I think it is safe to say you have a better than new truck for a very reasonable amount.

Steve,

Truth be told, he did all of that work so it would be ready to donate to me. Remember, it is Oxford White.  :funny:

The plan right now is to either sell it to my brother (I wanted to make sure it was decent), or hang onto it until I can afford a 2015 F-150. If it turns out to be too much hassle to have around Vancouver, I may just sell it and look at something fun until I can get the F-150.

Unless the Head gaskets go (not too likely with the EGR delete, tune, etc.), I think it will now be good for quite some time. There is always a thing here and there that can fail, but that's just the life of a used vehicle.

I still have some cosmetic stuff to get fixed up, but they are larger projects that I just won't have time for in the near future.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
I guess things just can't be that easy. Went to get the parking brake cables and shoes replace on Saturday and ran into a show stopper. The dust plate was rotted right through so there is no way to hold the parking brake shoes properly in place.

Here is what I found...

At least I have an idea on what was eating into my fuel economy on my trip to St. Louis a few weeks back.

So this has now turned into a pretty pricey fix. I need to pull the axle and hub off to be able to change out the dust plates on both sides. Since I am not going to have time to tackle this before I hit the road, I pulled all the Parking brake guts out and put it back together.

So I have a few more parts on order (going to take advantage of the cheap US shipping).
 - new Dust shields/plates
 - Complete hard parts kit
 - Rear hub seals
 - Hub removal tool

If I was 100% sure that I was going to hang onto this truck for a few years, I would just let it be. Since it might go to my brother and therefore need an inspection, they have to work. Also, I will feel better knowing that they are good, you never know when you might need them...

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »
Yup, looks exactly like all of our Super Duties. Now you know why we just tear them out. We never use them anyway.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »
Considering what my F-150 looked like when I did the parking brakes on it, I was surprised to see how rotted out the dust plate was. Even after years of salt, they were still just fine on my F150.

Checked out a few write-ups an vids on the subject, looks like it is going to be a royal PITA to get this all sorted out. I may try to get it done at my buddies shop while in Winnipeg.

Offline Pockets

• Detailing Supply Retailer
« Reply #245 on: July 15, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
Damn it never ends for you!  :beat:

Keep up the good work!  :om:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2014, 04:49:38 PM »
The old girl has had some more stuff done, so I figured I would update the thread.

I was able to get the parking brakes all back together and sorted out while I was at my buddies in Winnipeg. It was a royal pain since my dust plates were packaged wrong and I had two passenger side plates!!! :moody: Luckily I had a connection that was able to get me a proper set over the September long-weekend :clap: since the truck was all pulled apart by the time I found out the parts were wrong.

The truck made the rest of the haul to BC without a single blip and I put a TON of mile on it in August. I figured somewhere around 8,000 miles. Once I got back, I went to wash and noticed the passenger side was covered in Tar specs. I just gave it a usual first wash and then hit it with a whole can of Tarminator. I had to follow up with clay, so the whole truck got clayed. Since it has a pretty fresh hit of Opti-coat 2.0, I only followed up wit a spray wax. It did come out pretty nice, but I think in the spring I will give it a wee correction and re-coat.

After all the miles and with a few planned winter trips coming up, I figured it is time for new tires. The Edge got a brand new set of OEM's and the truck got brand new TOYO Open Country Extreme AT 2's. They are 305/60 R18's vs. the 325/65 R18 Hankook's that were on it, but I didn't have any taller options unless I went narrower. They are considerably smaller in height, I would say almost 2 inches. I do miss the look, but I figure I may get better MPG's. I do love the width and the look of the tread. Way quieter and noticeably improved traction in the wet.

Truck also got a fresh set of Fuel Filters and another full Syn Oil change ($$$).

Tar spots all over passenger side

Doing the parking brakes...

No Pics of the tires yet, I'll get them up.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »
I love my Toyos.  The overall look of them can't be beat in my opinion and they've been good to me.  Mine are heavy and dropped my mileage a bit but so be it.  I put mine on in February and they look brand new yet.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #248 on: October 25, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »
My Buddy (the Lincoln in one of the pics above) switched to the same tires and said he noticed a drop in MPG's too. But he did go from a stock size mild AT Michelin to them.

In my case, I looked around and there appears to be a big drop in weight for me, which is an added bonus. It's actually noticeable with Acceleration and Braking. :clap:

Toyo's Open Country Extreme AT 2's 325/60 R18 = 33.3" Height = 66lbs

Hankook Dynapro MT's 325/60 R18 = 34.8" height = 89.7 lbs

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »
Mine are 295/55R20, they measure out 32.8" and weigh in at 60lbs.  However, I was coming off of stock wheels and tires to the new 20s and 33s.  I don't regret it one bit.

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »
I've been having some odd issues with the front brakes. It seems like the front LH (drivers) brake has been dragging once the brakes heat up a bit from stop and go traffic. Also, when the truck went into the dealer for an oil change, they measured the brake pads and the rears were worn more than the fronts  :dunno:

Also, no noticeable pull to the left or right under braking. Costing when the brakes heat up, you can feel a slight pull to the left. I pulled out my thermo gun as soon as I got home today and noticed that the front left was hotter than the front right or either rear.

I pulled the front calipers hoping to find a seized pin or two (even thought they are only 1.5 years old), but nothing. All seemed good. I cleaned and re-greased the pins (with brake pin grease) cycled the caliper pistons a few times and then put it all back together.

The bonus of being here is there a plenty of steeps to test brakes. I ran it up and down the mountain behind the house 3-4 times and the brakes did feel much better. I hit them with the thermo gun again and both fronts matched bang on and were warmer than the rears, which is what I would hope for.

So I'll run it some more and see what happens. If anyone has any input like known issues with master cylinders or distribution boxes, chime in.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #251 on: November 07, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but remember, the slider pins aren't the only thing that can hang up. You could also have a piston hanging up in the caliper bore or a pad hanging up on the stainless steel slider plates. We generally use a needle scaler on the caliper brackets now before we install new SS hardware. Even then, sometimes we have to pull out the old flat file to get everything to move freely.

Hope that helps.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #252 on: November 07, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
Thanks for the input TS. I did confirm that the pistons moved as freely as expected as well as the SS hardware (all new when I did the brakes) and pads themselves moved in the caliper bracket.

The only thing I can figure is something is up with the piston-to-caliper tolerance just when things get hot. Truck seemed good again today and I rode the brakes pretty hard down a 8% grade for a 1/4 mile on one of the North Shore Mountains at lunch. Who knows, maybe cycling and moving everything freed it up....for now.

The pins even looked like new and no real rust built up where the pads sit, which I wasn't expecting after the IL salt last year.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2014, 03:25:24 PM »
Hmmm, I hate problems like this. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to lubricate the Slider Pins?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #254 on: November 08, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
Hmmm, I hate problems like this. Just out of curiosity, what did you use to lubricate the Slider Pins?

Did you check the Fetxer Valve?   It's near the Kanutsen bolt.   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal