1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Project Super Duty  (Read 111732 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Project Super Duty
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »
That looks a ton better! Keep an eye on the rear diff cover. We've actually had 3 or 4 rust to the point where they leak. The cast aluminum ones increase the gear lube capacity and dissipate heat better. They also come with both fill and drain screws.

This one doesn't look anywhere close to getting through, but I do want to increase capacity and have the drain plug in it (hopefully magnetic).
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »
I figured it was finally time to swap out a hack installed CAC boot from the previous owner. I ordered a new proper one from Ford a couple of weeks ago and once I found out the price $75, I knew why they hacked in something.  :wow:

It was a pretty simple deal, undo the boot clamps and pull the CAC tube and boots and swap in the new ones. As the tube was a bit on the banged up side, I decided to sand it down and paint it with high-heat engine paint.

Old one on the bottom and new one on the top.

The tube all painted up

I will posted up installed pics once I get the rest of the engine bay cleaned up.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »
So the Long morning cranks to fire up were starting to get to me. It does take 5 seconds which is within "Spec", but I know that it could be better after having a few friends fire up their 6.0's in a second or two :moody:

My ICP fitting arrived today along with an OTC tool that plugs into the IPR valve and closes it by sending 12v to it.

So after work, I headed out to the garage and got to it. I pulled the intake and FICM. Got my way to the IPR valve and plugged in the tool. I then pulled the ICP sensor and threaded in my adapter. I simply threaded an air chuck fitting and then put air straight to it. after a bit, I could hear the air purging down to the crankcase and used the tool to close the IPR Valve. it took some time, probably 3-4 minutes of cycling the IPR valve to purge out the oil to get to a point where I could here something worth following. with the IPR closed I could hear more air coming out of the passenger side valve cover through the CCV. I shut everything down and got to work pulling both valve covers off. Once off, I again ran the air test and immediately saw something. The "Plug" on the Drivers side oil rail where the ICP would go on the passenger side. I could hear and feel air coming from it. I pulled it out and found the O-ring to be damaged.

I happen to have a brand new ICP sensor, so I stole the O-Ring off of it and put it on the plug, re-installed and then did the air test again.

No more noticeable leak! :clap:

I ordered new Valve Cover Gaskets that were meant to get here today, so hopefully they will get in tomorrow and I can button it all back up and test it out!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »
It's all back together and so far, so good. The true test will be tomorrow morning.

I got it fired up and took it for a good drive to get all the air out. Once back, I shut it off, let it sit for a few minutes and fired it back up. It fired in less than a second! So it's already better than before.

If that O-ring was the cause of the grief, I sure am going to be peeved at myself for not catching it earlier!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
That would be awesome if that O-Ring was the cause of all of your problems. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »
This is all well above my pay grade but I'm pulling for ya! 

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #231 on: June 13, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
This is above my pay grade as well, but now I am curious if it was it.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Boys, I am one freakn' happy guy today! Here is this morning's start.

Just so you can compare to what it was before (this was in the winter, but it still took as long last week when it was in the high 80's)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
Woohoo!

Tapatalkin...

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2014, 09:55:39 AM »
Congrats, I think you nailed it down.

Compared to the top video, the bottom video seems like you are hand cranking a model T.
Steve

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
Congrats, I think you nailed it down.

Compared to the top video, the bottom video seems like you are hand cranking a model T.
Very true, but the big 'ol 6.0 cranks slower at 20F vs 80F  :redneck:

I was surprised that even in the summer with it cranking over faster it still took 5 seconds to fire.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2014, 09:29:52 PM »
Couple more things accomplished today. I am still slow moving with this lower back issue but I was able to get the spare tire down (without the "key") and get the reverse sensors working. I found that you can pound a 9/16" socket on the end of the spare tire lock and use it to lower the tire. Once the tire was out of the way, I was able to move the guide tube and knock the lock off the end of the winch assembly. Now you can raise and lower the spare with just the jack handle extension.

A lot of the connections at the sensors were corroded and someone already messed with them, I cleaned them up best I could, re-soldered a bunch of stuff and made connectors out of silicon. We'll see how long it lasts. I figure I'll need to hit up a wreckers and pull a whole wiring harness out of a truck and get a couple good sensors eventually.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
I took the truck into the dealer yesterday to get some service done as I hate dealing with fluids. I had the following done.

- Front and rear Diff fluid
 - Transmission flush and fluid
 - Transfercase fluid
 - Power steering flush and fluid

So now at least I know that all fluids have been flushed since I have owned the truck (with the exception of the coolant because I know that was done right before I got the truck). But it was over $700! Wifey was not too pleased... :whisp:

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
Finally got the ESOF fixed today! I was really worried I would have to pull apart the hubs and re-seal everything. It turned out it was just the solenoid that runs vacuum to the hubs, it was just "Venting to air" when engaged. I was on happy camper after vacuum testing the whole system no leaks!

Last push on Saturday to go over the whole truck one last time (visual inspection, etc) and get the parking brake system working. New Shoes and cables arrived today.

I'm pretty stoked that I have no other known mechanical issues to tackle :cheers:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #239 on: July 10, 2014, 07:45:35 AM »
Now are you going to keep it ?

You went through the engine and drive line / suspension with a fine tooth comb and with all new fluids it is good to go for some time.

Even with the money you put put into  it ( and wet sanding the tailgate  :slow: ) I think it is safe to say you have a better than new truck for a very reasonable amount.
Steve

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal