1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Project Super Duty  (Read 111886 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Project Super Duty
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2013, 08:56:19 PM »
You could Always play it safe and use Poorboys PP.  It works good as a metal polish but it great for paint. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
The Metal Rx will still actually be fine for the wheels even if they are clear coated.  I use Metal Rx on clear coated wheels all of the time, also works great on headlights and taillights.  For those tips, you can use some fine steel wool, that should take off the rest of the residue on there, I do this quite a bit too.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »
The Metal Rx will still actually be fine for the wheels even if they are clear coated.  I use Metal Rx on clear coated wheels all of the time, also works great on headlights and taillights. 

Good to know Justin. I wasn't aware of that. As for other metal polishes, I'd still avoid them though.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Thanks everyone. I thought I had some steel wool for the tips, but I hae to go and pick some up.

Right after I asked the question TS, I thought of the "Black" signs of bare metal. However I can't recall if there was any...

I will be hitting the wheels again tonight to see if I can clean them up a it more. I have some Spray & Rinse I can use up.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
I had an hour to kill this afternoon so I wrangled up my wife and we tinted the back window. Definitely not my best tint job, but it will do till I get a sliding window for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
Three more things checked off the list today.
 - Drivers door handle replaced
 - Oil Change done
 - Fuel filters replaced (water separator filter and 2nd filter on top of motor.)

The drivers door handle was really straight forward. I took the truck in for the oil and fuel filters. Pretty pricey, but I knew a diesel wasn't going to be cheap.

I couldn't help it any longer and loaded the performance tune that came with the truck. Pretty darn impressive  :whisp: Fuel economy seems to be better and drive-ability seems to be way better overall. It's a pretty conservative tune and I am by no means an aggressive driver, so it's gonna stay loaded.  :judge:

It's supposed to rain all week, but if there is a break, I am going to finish up the fuel pressure sensor install. I ended up going with a glow shift adapter for the fuel test port. Should be really quick to get in.

One of the other things I would like to get on are the front flaps. I am a little concerned about the clearance with the over sized tires, but will have to make them work. The amount of crap the tires throw is kinda crazy.

Making progress! I can't wait to get some paint correction started, you guys are going to die when you see close ups of the marring in this paint.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2013, 07:35:21 AM »
If you think the performance tune rocks wait until you get a tow tune in it and tow something really heavy. I had 10,000 pounds of skid steer and trailer behind my truck all weekend towing it about 175 miles overall and it just walked up hills like the trailer wasn't even there. The fuel mileage sucked but it towed like a dream.
Good enough never is

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing how it tows the edge on the car hauler. I am guessing all loaded up (incl. trailer), it will be around 7000lbs.

I have a custom tow tune, but I hope that it doesn't become too terrible on fuel, I have a lot of miles to cover in July with it.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
Are you using a SCT tuner?

If so, who's tunes

If you need tunes I know a guy i Texas, he blows away Eric at Innovative.   This guys Tow tune (don't laugh at the name)  Called 8-13K tow tune will impress the hell out of you yet it stays within the capability of the equipment.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2013, 06:22:02 AM »
The truck chewed through 3/4's of a tank of diesel in 175 miles towing this weekend so using previous towing numbers I got around 10-11 MPG with a sticking brake on the trailer and compared to the 15-17 the truck usually get's with the Xtreme Street tune. I need to add an Aux fuel tank if I want to tow for longer distances and not fill up every 200 miles.

Jason, I'm interested in the name of your tuning guy if his tunes are that good because I'm about to spend the money to have the tunes rewritten since the truck is studded now.
Good enough never is

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »
The truck chewed through 3/4's of a tank of diesel in 175 miles towing this weekend so using previous towing numbers I got around 10-11 MPG with a sticking brake on the trailer and compared to the 15-17 the truck usually get's with the Xtreme Street tune. I need to add an Aux fuel tank if I want to tow for longer distances and not fill up every 200 miles.

Jason, I'm interested in the name of your tuning guy if his tunes are that good because I'm about to spend the money to have the tunes rewritten since the truck is studded now.

Matt Robinson
Gearhead Automotive Performance
979-703-7338
www.gearheadautomotiveperformance.com
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Very cool. I do want better tunes, but they aren't in the cards right now. I actually have two tuners...an Xcal3 and a Livewire.

I hope I can get slightly better MPG's than Dave, but not holding my breath. I have 2100 miles to cover, so I hope I can do better than 10 tanks of gas. 10 tanks of gas would cost me around $2200! :dope:

The weather is meant to clear up this weekend, so I hope to start some detailing soon!

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2013, 06:17:59 AM »
Ryan, I filled up last night and figured my mileage and I got 10.88 MPG out of that tank of diesel.
Good enough never is

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 03:16:40 PM »
Hopefully pulling 3000#'s less will make a bit of a difference. At least I'm just pulling a small trailer through the mountains and the car through the prairies.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
With a tow tune, how much weight do you pull before hitting the "Tow/Haul" button on the shifter???

* Recent Photos

NEw car wash

Views: 2
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal