* Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Another dumb question  (Read 6296 times)

Offline beatcop49

• Café Member
Another dumb question
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
Here's another dumb question for the pros.  Let's say my car was just cleaned and waxed, but now there's pollen in the air. 

I really don't need to wash it or even do a quickie spray detail.  I just need to get the dust off of it.  Is it OK to wipes the dust/pollen off with a clean microfiber cloth or will it scratch the paint?

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
Re: Another dumb question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »
I would at least use a quick detailer, waterless wash, or no rinse product.  Wiping pollen without any lubrication can mar your paint real easy.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
No such thing as dumb questions here. Unless of course I ask them, then Dave will remind me.

In addition to what Justin just posted, many waxes actually seem to attract dust and pollen. So sometimes detailing your car can actually attract just what you were trying to remove. And yes, pollen season can be quite frustrating.

What I always say is that every time you touch or wipe the surface of your car, you're marring it at some level. Sure much of it is probably microscopic, but eventually it all adds up. So always have something to lubricate the surface. A good automotive car wash does that when you're washing and a good QD does that for in between.

Offline beatcop49

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
No such thing as dumb questions here. Unless of course I ask them, then Dave will remind me.

In addition to what Justin just posted, many waxes actually seem to attract dust and pollen. So sometimes detailing your car can actually attract just what you were trying to remove. And yes, pollen season can be quite frustrating.

What I always say is that every time you touch or wipe the surface of your car, you're marring it at some level. Sure much of it is probably microscopic, but eventually it all adds up. So always have something to lubricate the surface. A good automotive car wash does that when you're washing and a good QD does that for in between.

So there's no such thing as a "feather duster", right?  Something like Optimum Rinse would be the trick?

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:14:11 PM »
I'm the black sheep of the site, I use a Cali Car duster.

I have not had problems with noticeable marring of the surface of my F150 or the Mrs' G6 using it correctly ( as shown in the picture above = ends hanging, not piled on the surface and make 1 pass and shake it out ).

I dust the upright surfaces before using a QD ( and if bad enough ONR ) in the summer months.

I find it to be just like anything else, follow the directions. 
If it is dust use it with QD, if you have heavy dust that got damp ( dew / rain on it ) don't bother, that is wash time. 
- Depending on the weather, either normal wash or ONR time, don't try the QD route.

Another tip I started using with ONR day one is to make a bottle of pre soak. 
- 1:15 (2 oz in a quart bottle ) with a double mist sprayer head on it.
I spray down the panel I am going to ONR with it, so the ONR mix can start to encapsulate the dirt on the paint, before putting the wash media on it.

That is just me, I have caught hell over using one, but I don't have play dough for paint, so it does not mar that easy.
Steve

Offline beatcop49

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
I'm the black sheep of the site, I use a Cali Car duster.

I have not had problems with noticeable marring of the surface of my F150 or the Mrs' G6 using it correctly ( as shown in the picture above = ends hanging, not piled on the surface and make 1 pass and shake it out ).

I dust the upright surfaces before using a QD ( and if bad enough ONR ) in the summer months.

I find it to be just like anything else, follow the directions. 
If it is dust use it with QD, if you have heavy dust that got damp ( dew / rain on it ) don't bother, that is wash time. 
- Depending on the weather, either normal wash or ONR time, don't try the QD route.

Another tip I started using with ONR day one is to make a bottle of pre soak. 
- 1:15 (2 oz in a quart bottle ) with a double mist sprayer head on it.
I spray down the panel I am going to ONR with it, so the ONR mix can start to encapsulate the dirt on the paint, before putting the wash media on it.

That is just me, I have caught hell over using one, but I don't have play dough for paint, so it does not mar that easy.

That's kind of what I was looking for....something to lightly bring across the surface.

Thanks to all for the advice . I have learned that my dads way of washing the car is not acceptable now.  Detailing is a true science!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
Keep in mind, you re using it to remove the dust from the surface before using a QD on it, it is not for making the surface 100% clean.

Don't use a QD / MF towel combo or a duster, if the dust / pollen got wet ( dew or slight rain ).  When you have dirt set in a film on the car, that is wash time.

Using ONR is similar, don't get it wet with straight water before using ONR on your choice of wash media, that might set the dust into a film making it more difficult to remove.

For ONR I still use a 2 bucket wash method.
1; 3.5 gal bucket with 2 gal of water and 1 oz of ONR in it with a grit guard in the bottom.
1; 5 gal bucket with ~ 3 gal of water and a pail pal wash board for rinsing the ONR sponge before putting it back in the ONR

- Same bucket setup for standard washing.

ONR wash media I use the Lake Country blue grout sponge for the upper panels ( ~ door guard and up ).
The door guard line and down, I am now using the Aqua Sponge ( HD, Lowes, Amazon, etc ) but before I used a standard grout sponge with some DIY cube cuts like the LC blue grout sponge.

I get new ONR wash media out early summer, and for the most part use it through spring, and toss them.  I call them trash after a winter of cleaning vehicles, unless I drop them or they get nasty looking earlier than that.

I'm still trying to cure dad of his washing habits.  Got him ONR, buckets, grit guards, good wash mitts and he still has that bucket of soapy washer in the bucket with the nasty wash mitt from the Regan administration hanging around.
Steve

Offline beatcop49

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
Keep in mind, you re using it to remove the dust from the surface before using a QD on it, it is not for making the surface 100% clean.

Don't use a QD / MF towel combo or a duster, if the dust / pollen got wet ( dew or slight rain ).  When you have dirt set in a film on the car, that is wash time.

Using ONR is similar, don't get it wet with straight water before using ONR on your choice of wash media, that might set the dust into a film making it more difficult to remove.

For ONR I still use a 2 bucket wash method.
1; 3.5 gal bucket with 2 gal of water and 1 oz of ONR in it with a grit guard in the bottom.
1; 5 gal bucket with ~ 3 gal of water and a pail pal wash board for rinsing the ONR sponge before putting it back in the ONR

- Same bucket setup for standard washing.

ONR wash media I use the Lake Country blue grout sponge for the upper panels ( ~ door guard and up ).
The door guard line and down, I am now using the Aqua Sponge ( HD, Lowes, Amazon, etc ) but before I used a standard grout sponge with some DIY cube cuts like the LC blue grout sponge.

I get new ONR wash media out early summer, and for the most part use it through spring, and toss them.  I call them trash after a winter of cleaning vehicles, unless I drop them or they get nasty looking earlier than that.

I'm still trying to cure dad of his washing habits.  Got him ONR, buckets, grit guards, good wash mitts and he still has that bucket of soapy washer in the bucket with the nasty wash mitt from the Regan administration hanging around.

I figured you couldn't use it after the dew settled on the dust. I was just looking for something to help get ride old the pollen without having to do a complete wash.

I'm a complete novice. I have a black Dodge truck that's a bear with swirls and scratches.  I used ONR on it today....I really like the product.  It works well for me because I live in a condo which does not allow car washing due to runoff into nearby lagoon.  I followed up with Glossworkz Glaze and a good carnuba wax for an LSP.  Now, I still have swirls and scratches, but they're nowhere near as noticeable.

Thanks for the help!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:22:08 PM »
Another Glaze if you want to try it is PoorBoys World Black Hole glaze. 

I have the best luck with this, and you can layer it when done by hand ( 1st coat can be machine applied ) alternating LSP and Glaze. 
I did not believe Steve @ PB, and tried 5 layers and he was right, after 3 layers you don't notice a delta anymore.

Red moose Machine glaze also works well for a heavy glaze for hiding smaller defects, but I was told it does not layer well like the PB Black Hole does.

Just a thought if you want to try another option, nothing wrong with using glaze to minimize the defects until you get around to removing them.
- Ask Jason, he is on the track to tons of heavy glaze work in his future  :redneck:
Steve

* Recent Photos

Pro Diver

Views: 3
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal