April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Review: SM Arnold Speedy Surface Prep Towel  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Merlin

• Café Member
    • Quicksilver Forum
Review: SM Arnold Speedy Surface Prep Towel
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
Product Name:
SM Arnold Speedy Surface Prep Towel

Product Container:
Enclosed in plastic display container

Product Labeling:
The display container contains a thick paper insert cover with labeling. Clear instructions for use on label.

Instructions:
- Do not move the Speedy Surface Prep Towel in circles or use on a non-lubricated area.
- Do not use on surfaces over 144?F. The polymerized rubber surface will start to melt.
- Use only on clean, cool paint and out of direct sunlight.
- Speedy Surface Prep Towel is not solvent resistant.
- Best operation temperature range is 50?F to 99?F
- Do not use soap and water as a lubricant.
- Do not wash with soap and water.

Product Application:
Thoroughly wash vehicle prior to application. Fold the Speedy Surface Prep Towel four ways (8 sides) and spray a generous amount of showroom prep, quick detailer or clay lubricant on the paint and the polymerized rubber surface of the towel.

Using light pressure, gently slide the rubber side of the Speedy Surface prep Towel back and forth. Make sure the towel glides easily and you are using a quick hand motion like you would with a clay bar. When the Speedy Surface Prep Towel glides freely, the bonded surface contaminants have been removed. Flip it to another side and lightly go over the area again.

When the section is completed wipe off the residual lubricant with a separate microfiber towel and do the next section. In my personal experience I have been able to "hear and feel" the contaminants as they are removed.

Product Performance:
The Speedy Surface Prep Towel removes contaminants with less effort and time. I like the ability of the towel to easily get into small tight areas with ease. (door handles etc.) I have found my "clay" time at least cut in half.

I have done quite a few vehicles with this towel. I like to wash and dry then Iron X before using the Speedy Surface Prep Towel. To test I have gone back over the paint with a white clay bar. In these cases I have not been able to see any contamination on the clay.

Additional thoughts:
The Speedy Surface Prep Towel comes in both MED and FINE. I have only used the FINE grade. I have heard the MED grade is more aggressive and can create marring. This is not a issue if you are planning to polish the paint afterwards. I have used the FINE grade many times and I have not been able to see any marring I could attribute to the FINE grade towel.

I  normally get 3-5 cars with a single clay bar. They state The towel lasts 50-100 vehicles. If so, it will save money! I probably have done 10-15 vehicles with it so far and do not see any signs of use or wear in the towel.

NOTE:

The Speedy Surface Prep Towel comes with a protective coating from the factory. Before using the towel, you need to remove the coating. Saturate the towel with a clay lubricant and using no pressure, wipe the towel back and forth and then up and down on clean, lubricated glass. After several passes, the protective coating will be removed and the towel will be ready for use.

SPECIAL NOTE:
If you drop it on the ground? Don?t throw it away like you would a clay bar! Rinse it off with water and it?s ready to go!

Product Price:
$59.99 Retail

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Review: SM Arnold Speedy Surface Prep Towel
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
interesting, but I think I will pass on this one. 

The "warnings" scared me off. 
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
interesting, but I think I will pass on this one. 

The "warnings" scared me off.

What warnings are these ?

I think this is the same product as the Nanoskin towel that I did a review of ( with the fine pad ) a few months back.

http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?topic=2752.0

The "break-in" is goes quick on glass ( both the towel and the pad ), and the don't rub the towel in a circle is kind of intuitive ( works better with the back and forth motion ).
- Not sure why they have this limitation on the towel, the Nanoskin pad looks to be the same material, and that is a circular motion ??

I don't see the Nanoskin towel on Detailed Image's site anymore, don't know if they had a cease & desist order against them from SM Arnold or if the uptake was just that much lower than the pads which work like a dream on the Flex ( see review above ).

Side note, the Escape still looked great after a few Nanoskin towel / Shock wipe downs.  The day I dropped it off, I did not see any marring on it ( only the 1 mark I forgot to take out of the rear bumper from the dogs getting in / out of the back ). 
Steve

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
What warnings, JP ?

================

Doug

Offline Merlin

• Café Member
    • Quicksilver Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:17 AM »
Don't be afraid. I bet I've done 20+ cars with it so far.
Just rinse it good when done and let it air dry face up
Between panels you can "wash it off" in your rinse bucket.
I have not been able to find any marring using the FINE towel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-dTYHxcqj1s[/youtube]

Offline Merlin

• Café Member
    • Quicksilver Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
I don't see the Nanoskin towel on Detailed Image's site anymore, don't know if they had a cease & desist order against them from SM Arnold or if the uptake was just that much lower than the pads which work like a dream on the Flex ( see review above ).

I found it
http://www.detailedimage.com/SM-Arnold-M61/Speedy-Surface-Prep-Towel-P743/Fine-Grade-S1/

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:29:15 PM »
What warnings, JP ?

I dunno...I re read it, guess that is what you get when you drive by post. 

My bad, carry on.   

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »
Don't be afraid. I bet I've done 20+ cars with it so far.
Just rinse it good when done and let it air dry face up
Between panels you can "wash it off" in your rinse bucket.
I have not been able to find any marring using the FINE towel.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-dTYHxcqj1s[/youtube]

damn that sounds terrible.....LOL   makes me cringe a little...and no marring?   

How does it feel after drying?   As good as clay?

Offline Merlin

• Café Member
    • Quicksilver Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »
damn that sounds terrible.....LOL   makes me cringe a little...and no marring?   

How does it feel after drying?   As good as clay?

I think it feels as good as clay if not better. I have used a white clay bar afterwards and it was clean.
I've also used the Nanoskin Autoscrubber 6" pad FINE grade on my PC7424xp with very fast results

Notice the microscope sections.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jJ42KxDqBY[/youtube]

I've recently used the Nanoskin AUTOSCRUB Speedy Prep Sponge FINE grade with the same results.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:08:02 PM by Merlin »

* Recent Photos

DSCF0011.JPG

Views: 2
By: sscully

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal