1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Xzilon coating  (Read 10645 times)

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
Xzilon coating
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
Hello everyone, I've been away for a while, but I'm back with a quick question. I'm buying a 2011 Maxima and the dealer is trying to sell me this Xzilon coating. I am pretty skeptical of it, especially on the outside of the car. I don't know if I can get it done on the inside only, just wanting everyone's thoughts on it before doing anything on it. It is my first tan interior, and it is leather, so would I be better off getting a can of scotch guard and putting it on the carpet and putting something else on the leather?
JRod

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Xzilon coating
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
If you are that concerned about the carpet, go with something else like Scotchgard.

The leather, are you sure it is not coated leather already ?
- unless it is a leather interior like the King Ranch, it is usually coated, but you would need to check the mfgr specs to see if it is or not.
if it is coated, damp rag should do it for cleaning it.  If it is really bad you could go Lexol or Leatherique cleaner on it.  I did a review on Leatherique here, both for the cleaner as well as the crease minimizing part of the application.

Exterior, go with Opti Coat from Optimum if you want a paint protection, you can DIY this real easy, or just go with your traditional polish - LSP route.  I have had good luck with Menz Powerlock after Tom suggested it.  I have a split application of OptiCoat and Power Lock at the moment on my '06 Dark Stone F150 right now.

Save the money the dealer is going to charge you, the bulk of the cost is for the warranty work that you might need to do.  From what I have read in the past about Xzilon, it is a 20 min application, which does not make me feel very good about the product if it goes on that quick.
- Warranty is typically 5 years from what I have seen and covers what new paint should cover in terms of oxidation.
Steve

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
The warranty on the xzilion is only 3 years because it's a used car. I can't really justify spending that kind of money on the coating because I take car of my cars pretty well usually. I was just looking for some opinions on here in case any of you thought it would be worthwhile. And I'm pretty sure the leather is coated, although some KR like seats in there would be pretty badass.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:23:19 PM by jkilmurray »
JRod

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
As far as the outside goes, I usually use some sort of a mild cut cleaning compound to correct, followed by a polish, then a sealant, and finally a lsp of some sort of wax. I figured that would protect better than whatever they would spray on it for the outside.
JRod

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »
In my humble opinion, all of that dealer applied "environmental protection" is just dealer profit in a bottle. You can get the same or better stuff for less and do it yourself. As Steve has already suggested, Opti-Coat is super stuff - much better than anything a dealer offers - and you can get it through one of our very own supporting vendors. (Obsessive Detail / Rag Shack) Save your money and do it yourself.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »
where I come from we call that "snake oil"

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Need4racin

• Café Member
Re: Re: Xzilon coating
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
where I come from we call that "snake oil"
that's united states wide where common sense can be found

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
Get you some Opti Coat!  This stuff actually works as described.  Opti Coat will give you great protection, bugs, tar, road grime,etc.. will come off so much easier.  Opti Coat will also help with swirls and scratches not building up as fast like on regular clear coat.

Use your Cafe discount and get some Opti Coat from either of my websites!   :cool:  It is totally worth it!

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
Btw, Opti Coat is actually on sale on my Rag Shack website until tomorrow!

* Recent Photos

IMG_9384.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal