April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Edge Factory HID's  (Read 15838 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Edge Factory HID's
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 08:37:14 PM »
Nice, clean install.  :clap: Pulling that bumper cover made all the difference in the world. Most folks wouldn't attempt that. Remember to get both of them level once you find a sweet spot. I usually use a large empty parking lot near me that also has a nice flat wall behind a store. I aim out in the empty lot, then pull up to the wall and use the block rows as level lines to make sure the left and right lights are even.

You can also fine tune the aiming by going back out into the lot and walking about 40 feet out in front of the vehicle with the lights on. Now, facing the vehicle, slowly squat down and see when each light "gets bright." What you're seeing is the receiving end of the cutoff in the pattern. This is also what oncoming drivers will see. If you have one aimed higher than the other, one will probably blind oncoming drivers.  Re-aim accordingly.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 02:02:07 AM »
So I was able to progress a more tonight and probably going to leave them as they are for now.

It is so easy to adjust the factory headlights, that I decided to take a bit of time, adjust and drive down a close road that doesn't have any street lights. I am happier with them after the adjustment.

Here is a shot with just the LED's on

From the front. it is pouring out, so the camera phone was struggling.

All in all, they make a considerable difference. I don't think they are friendly to oncoming traffic, so I will only use them with the highbeams or in very poor conditions. They really throw some light, you can tell in closed in areas or where there are trees. For being such small lights, they are impressive. If I could give any install location tips, mount them as high and wide as you can. This way you can point them down onto the road instead of out, since they have a fairly wide beam, instead of having them overlap spread them apart and get the most out of them.

I wish they weren't so pricey, I would be willing to try the "wide" ones, just to see. Also the light bars look like they can do more then the ones I purchased. Sooo many options, so little cash and mounting points...time for a truck! ha!
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 02:06:41 AM »
Nice, clean install.  :clap: Pulling that bumper cover made all the difference in the world. Most folks wouldn't attempt that. Remember to get both of them level once you find a sweet spot. I usually use a large empty parking lot near me that also has a nice flat wall behind a store. I aim out in the empty lot, then pull up to the wall and use the block rows as level lines to make sure the left and right lights are even.

You can also fine tune the aiming by going back out into the lot and walking about 40 feet out in front of the vehicle with the lights on. Now, facing the vehicle, slowly squat down and see when each light "gets bright." What you're seeing is the receiving end of the cutoff in the pattern. This is also what oncoming drivers will see. If you have one aimed higher than the other, one will probably blind oncoming drivers.  Re-aim accordingly.

Thanks Tom, I actually use the exact same technique. I made them snug enough that they aren't easy to move, but can be moved to adjust them at any time without having to get at the mounting hardware.

I think they will really perform better when it's not wet and you can actually get some reflection off of the road. the wet just seems to absorb the light or reflect it forward.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 06:58:37 AM »
Yes, rain makes all the difference in the world. It just flat out absorbs all of the light. But that's where proper lighting does make a difference. With a little experimentation, I'm sure you'll be miles ahead of the OEM lighting.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
Lights did great on the trip. Tried leaving them on for a while and nobody flashed me, so they can't be too distracting for on coming traffic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »
what a nice addition, and great write up...thanks for the details.

I think I will wait till the price comes down on them to jump   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

IMG_1582.JPG

Views: 3
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal