Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Dressing Dashboards?  (Read 5944 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Dressing Dashboards?
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
I have a question for the collective knowledge of this site. I've always had a problem when using just about any kind of dressing on a dashboard - particularly the large, expensive upper portion - and having it streak. It seems that no matter how much (or little) dressing I use and / or what kind of applicator I try, I always get some degree of streaking in the final few wipes. (Yes, slathering a ton of dressing on usually leads to no streaks, but also leads to a sloppy, slippery mess in a couple of days.)

Any suggestions for products or techniques?

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Re: Dressing Dashboards?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
I know I sound like a broken record with the Meg's products,  but the new Ultimate Protectent is pretty good. I put it on with a crappy MF and it kind of "dries" so there is no greasy mess. One application is pretty low gloss, but you can hit it a second time if you like more shine.

On my own vehicles, I prefer to give the dash a quick clean with a diluted APC and a soft brush, dry it and then apply the protectant. There is a spray and "gel" version, I have them both and prefer the gel instead of spraying everywhere or trying to spray the right amount on the MF. Since this stuff "dries" it also works pretty good on exterior trim and holds up really well to rain. I prefer it on the exterior to Hyperdressing. I find the gel works better on textured surfaces, where the spray works better on smoother plastics.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
I actually started using PBs Leather Stuff on my interior plastics including the dashboard.  I, however, throw on a pair of nitrile gloves and apply it with my hand and then give a final wipe down with a clean towel.  I never get any streaking and it almost smells like leather.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
Tom,

Different dashes have different techniques.

For my F25O, I only use mild cleaner and mf,, the simple whip down with PB NLD, along with a follow up buffing it off. 

My new Nissan, soaked up NLD like it was a sponge so the next move I make is Black Wow...yup, going to try that on the interior.   

On some, just a buff with a dry MF is all that is needed.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »
If you are talking about a plastic dash, I do 1 of 2 things ( very rare a 3rd )

1. Plexus plastic polish
- Yes the same stuff you would use on plastic headlamps and plastic windshields / fairings on motorcycles.

2. PB Spray & Wipe
- This works great, as it is the same stuff I used to clean the windshield.

3. Some times PB natural Look.

All 3 I use an interior specific MF towel for it, the PB 16" work towel
- I have some of the 'antique' blue ones from back in the day when PB still had the big shake well stickers on the bottles.

My '06 Lariat only has the 1 part that is leather, and that is the treated stuff, so nothing specific is needed for it generally.   If I have a leather dash ( i.e. Lexus ) I will use Leatherique on it, but I don't soak it.

Plexus and SnW both leave the dash a matt finish, so in the sun it does not reflect in the glass.
To clean them the 1st time I use a 15:1 PB APC to clean them, then move to SnW or Plexus.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm generally using Poor Boy's Natural Look Dressing these days because I like the look and love the smell. I think the big thing I've been missing is the follow up microfiber buff step. I'll try that next time.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
Mmm NLD. Makes you wanna start eating plastic.  :slow:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
I think Leather Stuff is one notch duller, more of a matte finish, than Natural Look.  Obviously cleaning it is important (pretty sure Natural Look has mild cleaners in it). But its equally important to use something with UV protection.  I don't believe spray and wipe has any.  Its just a cleaner. 

I believe you're correct, Tom.  You're missing that final dry buff.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »
I only use Optimum Leather Protectant on my leather and interior plastics on my personal vehicles.  OLP dries to a nice matte finish and blends in well.

* Recent Photos

IMG_3185.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal