General Category > Classic Car Photos and Discussions

Got me a new whip

(1/10) > >>

attworth:
With the baby on the way, we decided we really needed a second car. I've been wanting an older Ranger for a while now. Found this puppy for 600$.

It's an 87 with a 2.9L V6, 5 speed manual and 4 wheel drive. It's got nearly brand new 30x9.5 Falken AT's. The A/C and heat work. Very few real issues, just a bunch of minor things.

I gotta get an owner's manual or something cause I have no idea how the 4wd works. Can't find a button or switch or stick anywhere so I'm thinking it's full-time. Then again, you'd think it'd have a Hi-Lo selector or something.

Anyway, here a teaser. I'll get some more when I have a chance to tinker around with it.

Blown F-150:
Nice! My dad still uses my '91 Ranger around the farm here and there. I gave it to him over 10 years ago and it has more than 800,000kms (500,000 Miles) on it....Original motor that is the same as yours.

attworth:
Awesome! This one has 29,000 miles on the Odo. Im guessing probably 129,000 or even 229. My old ranger (03, before my f150) had 130,000 and all we did was replace the slave cylinder the whole time I had it.

It needs a gas tank, this one leaks. Although I might try to get it repaired. I'll probably replace the shocks cause they're a bit squishy. And the e-brake isn't working. Everything else is pretty minor from what I can tell so far. Oh, and there's hardly any rust.

Very stoked, and surprisingly so is the wife.

attworth:
I took some more pics this morning. The wife and I also cleaned it up a bit. The inside just felt... gross.. So we hit it with some foam stuff in a can, cleaned up the dash, cleaned all the windows. I also cleaned up the engine compartment a bit. It looks a little better but still needs work. Once I start pulling sensors and such to clean them up inside I can get it cleaned up a bit better.

Oh, and I found the 4wd selector. It's in the overhead console in the middle of the windshield. The panel is missing so I didn't know what it was. Still gotta test it but now I know where it's at.

All these pics are pre-cleaning. It's a lot nicer now.. Doesn't feel like sitting in a dumpster.

attworth:
Did some more work on the truck today. I started by taking apart the intake and cleaning everything up. The TB was pretty gunked up, so it got cleaned, along with what I could reach inside the intake manifold. I took off the idle air control valve, expecting it to be gunked too but it was clean. I found a vacuum leaked so I fixed that with a new hose.

I also bought some seafoam because I've been wanting to try it out. Got about half a can into it and let it sit a few minutes. Drove it around the block a couple times. Hopefully it helps.

On the way back to the driveway, I stalled the truck and couldn't get it started - starter wouldn't catch. I looked under the truck and the bolts holding it in were almost all the way out. Doh! Tightened it up and tried again - still nothing. Took it out, and the teeth looked ok, so I think the motor just decided it was done.

Got the front end jacked up and surprisingly it's not in bad shape. The left inner tie rod is toast, but doesn't have much play in it. Going to replace it and see if that helps the whole setup. I'd say total it's got maybe 1/4" of play in it.

The steering wheel was loose, so I thought it might be the worm gear in the steering box. Tightened it up about half a turn but still loose wheel. Looked under the steering wheel and noticed the clamp holding it to the column was loose. It looks like the PO put in a  new hazard switch, so I'm guessing he just didn't tighten it back up (this is becoming a trend.) Got it snugged back up and now it feels nice and tight.

Filled the radiator up the rest of the way (about a quart). Dumped some seafoam in the oil. Filled the windshield washer bottle. Got the ebrake pedal unstuck and found out why it's not working - the right hand cable is broken and the splitter assembly is all jumbled up.

Wow, that's a lot, sorry guys.

Stuff to do to get it on the road:

Find a gas tank in the jyard or get this one repaired
Replace Starter
Replace inner right tie rod
Fix e-brake

Not too shabby, eh? Hoping to have it on the road by February. Going home for 2 weeks in December, so I'll be hitting it heavy when we get back.

Stuff I wanna do in the future:

Fix the exhaust - it's cobbled together
Replace the shocks
Put in an add-a-leaf
Drain and service all the gear boxes
Fresh oil (it's not bad now, just don't know what it is)
Spark plugs/wires/etc.
Duplicolor line the bed and interior
Fix the rear bumper and tailgate
Put a hitch on it

That's all I can think of right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version